Denver to London

pauon

First time O cruiser flying from Denver to London in July for the Transatlantic back to Miami.  Because O doesn't assign flights until 75 days out I am looking for others experiences with flight times and possible airlines.  We have to make our own arraignments to Denver and not sure what times most planes leave for England.   Is the upgrade to "Premium Economy" worth it?  We have sailed on many lines, just no experience with O.  Thanks in advance.

I think PE seating depends on the airline  

AFAIK Oceania uses carriers with true PE seating    EG Air Canada, KLM

They are no longer showing the  PE airfare special  on the Canada site  but  they did  mention the airlines they used 

We have AC  on the return from LHR

We always take the air credit, add extra land days pre/post cruise and add the credit to FF miles for biz class.

Do know that all of United's new Dreamliner 10's will have the more euro-styled "premium plus" (business lite) seats/service in addition to the existing "extra leg room only" premium seating.

I haven't found that PE was as uncomfortable as coach, but then I'm not tall either!  I agree that the definition of PE differs from airline to airline.  A couple of years ago we found PE on SAS and BH to be quite comfortable.  Not as good as business but it was well worth the upgrade since we were using O's air on that trip, which normally we do NOT do.  Likewise, we always go in early and return late.  Part of our trip is visiting the beginning and ending ports. 

Yes, I'm aware that not everyone has the luxury of taking extra time -- whether it's because of a job, children, pets, or something else.

Mura

14 hours ago, Mura said:

I haven't found that PE was as uncomfortable as coach, but then I'm not tall either!  I agree that the definition of PE differs from airline to airline.  A couple of years ago we found PE on SAS and BH to be quite comfortable.  Not as good as business but it was well worth the upgrade since we were using O's air on that trip, which normally we do NOT do.  Likewise, we always go in early and return late.  Part of our trip is visiting the beginning and ending ports. 

Yes, I'm aware that not everyone has the luxury of taking extra time -- whether it's because of a job, children, pets, or something else.

Mura

Yep. They need to decide on a different marketing description.

Premium Economy or Economy Plus on AA, Delta and UAL are nothing more than a pathetic additional 3 inches of legroom. I don't know what "true" premium economy is. I guess it's similar to saying United/American/Delta don't have "true" business class but Singapore Airlines does.

22 minutes ago, pauon said:

I looked at flights on United for the day we would be flying; 2 to 3 thousand for coach and 7 grand for their "Premium Economy"!   Not sure this was the upgrade O would get for the extra $199 I paid.  Anyone ?  

It would be the same.  You get whatever the  Airline that you are booked on calls Premium Economy.  Not a fan myself though-  

Edited by StanandJim

33 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Yep. They need to decide on a different marketing description.

Premium Economy or Economy Plus on AA, Delta and UAL are nothing more than a pathetic additional 3 inches of legroom. I don't know what "true" premium economy is. I guess it's similar to saying United/American/Delta don't have "true" business class but Singapore Airlines does.

AFAIK  they have not offered PE on American carriers  usually LH,KLM, BA  & AC

Maybe  others  will comment

28 minutes ago, pauon said:

I looked at flights on United for the day we would be flying; 2 to 3 thousand for coach and 7 grand for their "Premium Economy"!   Not sure this was the upgrade O would get for the extra $199 I paid.  Anyone ?  

call & ask  or if you use a TA  ask them to check what carriers they use for your routing

We have Air Canada  LHR to  YYZ   booking my own PE  would  be $3181 CAD

I have the  Upgrade deal from O for a lot less

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

They called the extra three inches on domestic flights "Premium Economy". Maybe enough people, including myself, complained that there is nothing premium about it. Several of the large travel websites still list premium economy for some US carriers for domestic flights. 

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

4 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

They called the extra three inches on domestic flights "Premium Economy". Maybe enough people, including myself, complained that there is nothing premium about it. Several of the large travel websites still list premium economy for US carriers for domestic flights. 

Oceania  does  not offer PE on Domestic  flights  or transborder  flights   so you would be safe  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pauon said:

Look at Icelandic Air- biz class under $3K.

Use ITA Matrix to search airfares.

You're a touch late for the best FF points/cash deals on major carriers like United.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pauon said:

You are a little late for the best deals on PE to Europe for July 2019 for doing your own flight reservations.  I have been using Delta/Virgin Atlantic PE round trip Seattle to/from Heathrow the last couple of years for about $1300-1400 PP.  But I get my reservations as soon as the flights become available- about 11 months ahead of flight dates.  Same flights now for this June/July are $2400PP.  

As said above- pay the deviation fee to Oceania, $175PP, and pick the best flights you can for the dates you want to fly (go early), check seating availability, then request the flights you prefer, have a couple of alternative routes ready in case the first choice does not work out.  The PE is only on the international leg, so try to make that the longest portion of the trip- like Chicago or Detroit for you.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Lyn, on our July trip I was in PE on AA from DFW to AMS. Same for return. This was AA metal, not some other airline. Better than coach, of course not as good as Business, but the cost is nowhere near the same either. The seats are similar to First Class on domestic flights. If you get a front row then you have plenty of legroom. The one we were on (788 I think) has it's own cabin area for PE. Drinks included, food on real plates and silverware. Amenity kit, noise reducing headphones, attentive service, pillow & blanket.

Biggest difference between this and Business is you don't have a lay flat seat. 

10 minutes ago, ORV said:

Lyn, on our July trip I was in PE on AA from DFW to AMS. Same for return. This was AA metal, not some other airline. Better than coach, of course not as good as Business, but the cost is nowhere near the same either. The seats are similar to First Class on domestic flights. If you get a front row then you have plenty of legroom. The one we were on (788 I think) has it's own cabin area for PE. Drinks included, food on real plates and silverware. Amenity kit, noise reducing headphones, attentive service, pillow & blanket.

Biggest difference between this and Business is you don't have a lay flat seat. 

I stand corrected

We splashed out  & booked Bus  with the lay flat seats

Was going to book PE with AC  but Bus was same price ...no brainer

best  splash out I did 😉

We do not book suites  so why not be comfortable on the flight ..LOL

We take the air credit and book our own.  We’ve used a consolidator for business class.  Premium economy is OK for a day flight but not relaxing for a night flight.

The other option is a daytime flight to London.  There is a premium for a day flight, even in economy but it avoids a red eye.  We’ve done this a couple times.  You arrive at Heathrow 9 or 10pm, we either have a car service booked or we stay at an airport hotel.  

iceland Air was mentioned.  If they have any day flights it would be fine but I hated their red eye.  All flights stop in Iceland, you deplane in the middle of the night, go through immigration and wait for a connection.  Their flights mostly go to Gatwick, which is good.  

• Like 1