Puerto Rico

de6259

I have been seeing and reading there is quite a bit of violence in San Juan.  Anyone else heard of this? I’m reluctant to leave the ship when we get to that port. Especially we dock at 4 pm. Any thoughts?

7 hours ago, casofilia said:

Do an NCL tour if you are worried about safety.  There are 12 tours on NCL.com for San Juan of which 3 are airport transfers so quite a lot of possibilities.

Lots of crime lots of islands as well as right here in our country. There are some islands that make me nervous, but PR isn't one of them. Yes, do a tour with NCL if you want to experience P. R. or just get off the ship, walk around a bit and then get back on the ship. I We have been to Puerto Rico many times, never felt truly unsafe. Just be aware of what is going on around you. 

My sister and I walked around old San Juan for 3 hours on our last cruise, from 4pm-7ish. We never felt unsafe. In fact the opposite-we saw police everywhere and all the locals were friendly and smiling. We asked a policeman if the heavy police presence was indicative of problems. He said no, quite the contrary. Because of their presence, everything stays relatively calm. 

I can’t speak for the rest of San Juan, but old San Juan was a wonderful place to walk around. 

We never had a concern for our safety but we did go back to the ship at dusk. 

Pat 

• Like 2

we were in PR in mid-November. Walked over to the Fort and did the excursion in it for $7 pp. It was quite interesting.

Never felt unsafe. We went to Walgreens which is right at the entrance of the port - I forgot my hairbrush at home. :)

Our friends hopped on a bus and did a tour of San Juan, they were bored, but didn't feel unsafe.

Oh, and we docked at 2, but by the time my mom found the right exit, we finally walked out way past 3 pm.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love San Juan and the Puerto Rican people are friendly. We have been 4 times and the last time was 8 months after the hurricane. They were so appreciative of tourists. I have never felt unsafe and I have taken the public bus there and walked around old San Juan. So many nice restaurants and things to see.  You will love it

Lived there for 2 yrs decades ago...Old San Juan is still the same...have been back numerous times still beautiful and safe. Will be going on the Epic next Jan and will spend 2 days before the sailing.  An idea is to rent an electric car to putt around if the hilly walk does you in:classic_rolleyes:  I cried when the hurricane hit...nobody deserves that.

3 hours ago, de6259 said:

Thank you all for your thoughts, I really don’t know where I heard this from.  I feel much better hearing from you all. 

You heard it on the CBS news report when the network covered Lin Manuel Miranda's  San Juan Hamilton run, and the new crew interviewed a local official who said crimes and gangs were a very big problem.  Old San Juan is relatively safe, just like Staten Island is relatively safe or any other area of NYC is relatively safe.  Just stay out of the 'hoods!  I am heading out on the 2/15 Gem and doing a walkabout with other cruise critic members:  did the same at Christmas and it was delightful.  Plus, sunset is getting later (6:30 or so) and twilight extends now well into the evening.