Best specialty restaurant on Horizon?

newdestination

My vote (especially with kids) would be Bonsai Teppanyaki. My meal there last month on Horizon was one of the best I had on board (and I ate in all of the specialty restaurants). They were all great, but Bonsai offers that extra bit of fun that the kids might enjoy. If you're interested, I would recommend booking it as soon as you board (or now) though. (Fun tidbit: I was solo, and ate there about halfway through my cruise. For the rest of the week, every time I walked by the hostess stand, she would call out, 'hello Miss Samantha!' How on earth she remembered me out of the other 4000 passengers is beyond me! The crew on this ship was simply amazing.) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 9:52 AM, 1025cruise said:

I think the best one would be the one you want to eat in 🙂

With that said, if you are cruising next week and haven't made reservations yet, its probably too late.

That is not true at all. Reservations are requested and not mandatory. We have eaten at the Steakhouse numerous times without reservations. We have never seen any of the specialty restaurants full. 

3 hours ago, smileyjannie said:

Dumb question......how to we make reservations for the specialty dining?

In your cruise manager or the Hub App, you will see a link to specialty dining reservations.

On 1/13/2019 at 7:48 AM, newdestination said:

If you were only going to dine in one of the Horizon’s extra charge specialty restaurants, which one would you choose?   We will be on the ship next week with our family, which includes grandchildren aged 5, 7, and 9.

We dine in all of them, with our children. My youngest was 10 when we last sailed on the Vista, his favorite meal was in the steakhouse. He loved how his chicken tenders were served so grand in a goblet. He raved they were the best chicken tenders ever.  So of course, we’re returning to the steakhouse this cruise so he can have his tenders again!

He also enjoys the Italian restaurant, which is a last night tradition for us.

OP here.  We were on the ship last week and as it turned out, did not utilize the specialty restaurants (except for Pig and Anchor at lunchtime).  We felt the food was good enough in the main dining room.  This was my first Carnival cruise in eight years and I felt the already included options were a big improvement over what I had last time. 

My last two cruises were with Princess and....my opinion only....but I thought Carnival’s food was just as good as what we had on Princess.  We chose Carnival this time because we brought our young grandchildren.

Keep in mind, we live in rural Iowa and don’t have much choice of restaurants when we do go out to eat.

9 hours ago, coevan said:

That is not true at all. Reservations are requested and not mandatory. We have eaten at the Steakhouse numerous times without reservations. We have never seen any of the specialty restaurants full. 

I think Bonsai Teppanyaki on Horizon is the one exception that you won’t get in without a reservation, due to its popularity and very limited seating. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579