TIP: AT&T has handy Cruise & International packages available

limeyalchemist

Anyone who is an AT&T customer, as I am, with unlimited plan, they now sell call, text and data packages for cruise ships.

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-packages.html

$50 plan for 50 mins of calls and unlimited texts.

$100 plan for unlimited calls and texts, and 200MB data

Also, AT&T offers $10 per day use of calls, text and data in over 100 countries with their international day pass.  Great option when traveling.

On our cruise this week, we are using the day pass in the Bahamas.  Hopefully will get decent signal.

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/europe-caribbean-country-more.html

Not a big user of phone while on vacation, but nice to have connectivity.

I was just looking into this! Can someone explain how it works? For example, to make a call while on the ship, is that wifi calling or am I actually connected to a cellular signal? If cellular, how do I make sure I am not using data? And does the cruise line charge anything for this in addition to AT&T?

Sailing on the Escape in February and leaving our 15 month old at home with the grandparents. I would like unlimited texting at the very least! 

28 minutes ago, misslyss1220 said:

I was just looking into this! Can someone explain how it works? For example, to make a call while on the ship, is that wifi calling or am I actually connected to a cellular signal? If cellular, how do I make sure I am not using data? And does the cruise line charge anything for this in addition to AT&T?

Sailing on the Escape in February and leaving our 15 month old at home with the grandparents. I would like unlimited texting at the very least! 

You are using the cellular provider on the ship so it is basically the same as a land-based roaming package.  There is no extra charge from NCL to use their cell network.  I don't think all NCL ships are covered by the AT&T package so you should check the list.  If you turn off data roaming you won't accidentally use data.  When the ship enters a port the cellular service is shut down so your phone will begin roaming with the land-based provider.  Also having the $10 per day international will cover any land-based usage.

3 hours ago, senseib said:

You are using the cellular provider on the ship so it is basically the same as a land-based roaming package.  There is no extra charge from NCL to use their cell network.  I don't think all NCL ships are covered by the AT&T package so you should check the list.  If you turn off data roaming you won't accidentally use data.  When the ship enters a port the cellular service is shut down so your phone will begin roaming with the land-based provider.  Also having the $10 per day international will cover any land-based usage.

Thank you for the explanation, super helpful! We have 3 days at sea total, 1 day in Florida (so won't need anything then), 1 day in Nassau, 1 day in GSC. The Escape is covered, I checked the list of ships. And, judging by AT&T's description, I can use the service on land at no additional charge..."select Caribbean islands" so I would have to call and find out if the Bahamas is included. (edit: Just found the list of Caribbean islands, the Bahamas IS included although not sure about GSC and whether they would turn off  cellular for the private island).

Edited by misslyss1220
found list

9 minutes ago, misslyss1220 said:

Thank you for the explanation, super helpful! We have 3 days at sea total, 1 day in Florida (so won't need anything then), 1 day in Nassau, 1 day in GSC. The Escape is covered, I checked the list of ships. And, judging by AT&T's description, I can use the service on land at no additional charge..."select Caribbean islands" so I would have to call and find out if the Bahamas is included. (edit: Just found the list of Caribbean islands, the Bahamas IS included although not sure about GSC and whether they would turn off  cellular for the private island).

When on GSC you can see the land based cell tower and you'll have coverage through Bahamas cell provider (BTC? - can't recall what showed up on phone).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misslyss1220 said:

Yes, Bahamas is included, as would GSC, but not certain that island even has cellular service.  it might though.  If it did, then it would work the same way as Nassau or Freeport.

One clarification, you stated that "use the service on land for no additional charge."  Technically, every time you go off of the ship onto a non-US port and use that countries cellular system, you would be starting the 24hour clock on service, and pay $10 for every 24 hour period of use.  Even if you only use your phone once, and sent one text message, you would pay $10.  So once you decide to use it, use it as much as you can and make a note of the 24 hours period end-time.  Anything after that time would be an additional 24 hours/$10.

One question that this raises, is let's say that you were on a western Caribbean cruise with Honduras and Belize back-to-back port days.  Does the $10 charge cover multiple countries within that 24 hours.  I would imagine it does, but worth checking.  it'd be the same traveling across Europe and crossing more than one country within 24 hours.  Just one charge based on the clock, not the country.

16 hours ago, limeyalchemist said:

Yes, Bahamas is included, as would GSC, but not certain that island even has cellular service.  it might though.  If it did, then it would work the same way as Nassau or Freeport.

One clarification, you stated that "use the service on land for no additional charge."  Technically, every time you go off of the ship onto a non-US port and use that countries cellular system, you would be starting the 24hour clock on service, and pay $10 for every 24 hour period of use.  Even if you only use your phone once, and sent one text message, you would pay $10.  So once you decide to use it, use it as much as you can and make a note of the 24 hours period end-time.  Anything after that time would be an additional 24 hours/$10.

One question that this raises, is let's say that you were on a western Caribbean cruise with Honduras and Belize back-to-back port days.  Does the $10 charge cover multiple countries within that 24 hours.  I would imagine it does, but worth checking.  it'd be the same traveling across Europe and crossing more than one country within 24 hours.  Just one charge based on the clock, not the country.

If you get their cruise package, then going on land is no additional charge to the $50 or $100 one time cruise package fee. This is separate than the $10/day package. 🙂

On 1/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, limeyalchemist said:

As said, there is cell tower on GSC.  You can see it off to right while on beach to the right.  Can't recall if I posted picture from late 2016 but MKing did from early 2017.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All of this stuff confuses me...🙄

What is the better deal? The cruise package or the International $10 per day? We're going on a 10 day Southern Carribean Cruise and i'm not sure what is the best way to go. Even on vacation I know I'll want to be online and checking emails etc. Also, what about the packages the ship has to offer? My travel agent gave us a free 250 minute or 1000 MB package. I know that will go fast.

How would this work on a Transatlantic cruise?  I'm going on a 15 day cruise the end of April from Orlando to Barcelona.  The first week we are at sea and then we start to hit ports all over Spain.  My last cruise on a RCCL ship I bought the internet package and really enjoyed it.  But that was just 10 days and it was in the Caribbean.  NCL is offering the 250 minutes for about $100 but those will go fast.  I saw where AT&T has where you can pay $60 for the month but I don't really understand how all this works.  I would love to post on FB while I am on my cruise and even call home but not if it is going to cost me a fortune.  Thoughts?