BAIT AND SWITCH?? Cabana on COCO CAY

46 minutes ago, norway olin said:

It is hard for me to follow this thread with the conflation of the terms bungalow and cabana.  It also may depend how late in the year your cruise will be and the construction schedule.  Just as FYI this is what is offered for our July CocoCay visit:

Waterpark Cabana and pass $699

Chill Island cabana (up to 8 people) $1349  (Yikes!!!)

Beach Bed  $149

Beach Bungalow $244 (this was available to reserve yesterday, but today has the infamous "must reserve on ship" comment)

Wow! I just booked a Chill Island Cabana for May for $319.00.

35 minutes ago, payitforward said:

They keep changing the price on the cabanas for my June cruise.  Originally $599, Black Friday $494, ever since Black Friday $881.  In April of 2018 I only paid $179.  Oh, and apparently after May 2019 they no longer include the scuba gear and floating mats.  Who in their right mind would pay upwards of $600 for a cabana for a day.  I'm sure there are people that would, but ouch.  And the cabanas aren't changing location from where they were in April.  Only thing that has changed is no scuba gear or floating mats and a lot of the new stuff is supposed to be open.

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Everyone loves to use the term "bait and switch."  In many, if not most, areas bait and switch is illegal.  It also denotes an intentional action by someone to cheat them.  I suspect that's why people use it regarding cruise lines.  I also seriously doubt that any cruise line is purposely trying to cheat passengers out of their money.  Royal Caribbean, as well as all major cruise lines are major corporations that are under significant regulations.  They are multi-billion dollar corporations. In 2017 Royal Caribbeans sales were $8.7 Billion.  You really believe that they purposely look for illegal ways to cheat people?  

Sure they could easily eat the $60.  And should.  And if you escalated your objection up the chain, they very likely would.  IF all the other cabanas weren't already sold.  Who knows why they did it. But it's well within their rights.  Not defending them, I've had my issues too.  And it's frustrating when a mistake is made and they won't "right" it.  We had a cruise booked where my son and I were in one cabin and my wife and DIL were in the other to take advantage of a good rate.  The rates changed and we got a discount with no restrictions.  I had purchased the drink package for my son at a discount.  We changed my wife and son's cabin for ease.  Turns out the drink package stays with the cabin.  I had to cancel and re-purchase and it was $75 more.  If they had told me that in the first place I wouldn't have switched the cabins. But I didn't ask the question. Was I angry.  Sure. Was it "bait and switch?"  NO.  Just one of those things.  Their rules so I live with them.  So please, everyone, get over "bait and switch"  If you really find a "bait and switch," sue them, they've likely broken the law.  

Might have been better to wait and make the cabin switch once onboard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, norway olin said:

It is hard for me to follow this thread with the conflation of the terms bungalow and cabana.  It also may depend how late in the year your cruise will be and the construction schedule.  Just as FYI this is what is offered for our July CocoCay visit:

Waterpark Cabana and pass $699

Chill Island cabana (up to 8 people) $1349  (Yikes!!!)

Beach Bed  $149

Beach Bungalow $244 (this was available to reserve yesterday, but today has the infamous "must reserve on ship" comment)

What is the occupancy for the Water Park Cabana? Also I believe I read that if you have toddlers under 4 they don't count towards that occupancy maximum...any idea?

1 hour ago, panzafit said:

They keep changing the price on the cabanas for my June cruise.  Originally $599, Black Friday $494, ever since Black Friday $881.  In April of 2018 I only paid $179.  Oh, and apparently after May 2019 they no longer include the scuba gear and floating mats.  Who in their right mind would pay upwards of $600 for a cabana for a day.  I'm sure there are people that would, but ouch.  And the cabanas aren't changing location from where they were in April.  Only thing that has changed is no scuba gear or floating mats and a lot of the new stuff is supposed to be open.

FYI, snorkel and SCUBA are two different things.  SCUBA gear was never included with any cabanas, not on Coco Cay or Labadee.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

What is the occupancy for the Water Park Cabana? Also I believe I read that if you have toddlers under 4 they don't count towards that occupancy maximum...any idea?

Waterpark cabana is listed as six people max. I don't know about toddlers

Edited by norway olin

1 hour ago, baileybrad said:

I have seen mention of a pool on Coco Cay. Does anyone know if there is an additional charge to use this pool?

There is no usable pool at Coco Cay right now.  You might have to buy a package to use the pool.  We will know more when people actually start using the new attractions at Coco Cay, whenever that is.

32 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

There is no usable pool at Coco Cay right now.  You might have to buy a package to use the pool.  We will know more when people actually start using the new attractions at Coco Cay, whenever that is.

I am hesitant to quote the oft incorrect website, but here goes.  The current FAQs say the pool will be free

Coco Cay FAQS

8 minutes ago, norway olin said:

I am hesitant to quote the oft incorrect website, but here goes.  The current FAQs say the pool will be free

Coco Cay FAQS

I appreciate the update. 

My experience with Royal leads me to believe that the pool may be free initially, but at some point "in order to enhance our experience" they will have no choice but to reluctantly  add a "nominal" charge.

2 hours ago, baileybrad said:

I have seen mention of a pool on Coco Cay. Does anyone know if there is an additional charge to use this pool?

Here is a map of what CocoCay will look like. The pool is called Oasis Lagoon.

As of now, here's what the free and charged attractions are suppose to be:

Splashaway Bay, Captains Jack’s Galleon, Oasis Lagoon, Chill Island, and South Beach will all be included in cruise fares. Free dining options will be Skipper’s Grill, Chill Grill, and Snack Shack.

Thrill Waterpark  will cost $44-$99 per person for a full day or $39-$74 for a half day (PM only).  Thrill Waterpark includes 13 waterslides, Wave Pool, Adventure Pool, beach chairs, towels, and dining at Snack Shack.

CoCoCay.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:30 PM, JDCCruiser6 said:

I got an email today for my sailing on this coming Friday.  I find it interesting if they did actually change tour operators that everyone wasn't notified at the same time.  Makes me wonder.  For reference, I booked/paid for it on October 10th.  Are you booked at COCO or Labadee because she stated "no changes" to my March cruise with a Labadee cabana.

I am on the Enchantment sailing this Friday as well.  I have not received any notice regarding my cabana reservation.

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Might have been better to wait and make the cabin switch once onboard.

Yeah..... I figured that out but it was too late.  No one explained that the drink package was tied to the cabin and not the passenger who bought it.  At the time one person could still buy it, so not sure why changing cabins made a difference.  Oh well...live and learn.  

20 hours ago, payitforward said:

Wow! I just booked a Chill Island Cabana for May for $319.00.

Unless that is one of the current cabanas, I would not hold my breath that they will be actually completed and available.

19 hours ago, kccrzr said:

I booked on October 23, 2018 and paid $293.00.

Well, I finally talked to someone today, after numerous attempts and they fixed my issue.  I still don't know if there ever was a tour operator change/lack of sales/or whatever, but the person today who contacted me made it right.  And I always want to give credit where credit is due.  

Happy Sailing.

• Like 2