Manfredi's or Chef's Table for birthday?

zitsky

OK of course I can decide myself but I thought it would be fun to ask the question.  I'm celebrating a birthday during the cruise and am trying to decide where to go on that evening.  Chef's Table is something I definitely want to try out.  Portions seem small and I might end up somewhere else for dessert.  Definitely not a problem getting much food in Manfredi's.

I'm in a DV cabin so I think I only have one guaranteed reservation in Chef's Table/Manfredi's.

I would pick Manfredi's if you are inviting others to join you....not everyone can agree which Chef's Table menu to go ...if it just 2 of you see if you like Chef's that day....both venue's will bring a nice cake to share!!!  But remember to tell them it is your birthday!!!

Edited by deec
add

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

On Viking River we shared tables.  On Norwegian we ate alone.  Good point to think about with whom you are dining.  I preferred sharing the table.  We got to know more people that way.

If you check out the Viking Orion video with Popular Cruising on Youtube, the camera goes through  each venue and you will see that the tables for two are in close proximity to other tables so it is easy to strike up conversations with others.  Good point about Manfredi's but it is like going to a fancy Italian or Steakhouse restaurant.  If you want to make it stand out as something you might not do everyday, then I would select Chef's Table.  if you have problems with that concept, check the menu to see if it's to your liking.

48 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I am preferable to Chef's Table.  Wish I knew the menu.  I know it changes all the time.  I'm looking forward to do the wine pairing. 

If you can prebook, I think you can see the menu changes.  I've always been V so it's not available to me.  My favorite experience because it is so different from what I normally do.

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

OK of course I can decide myself but I thought it would be fun to ask the question.  I'm celebrating a birthday during the cruise and am trying to decide where to go on that evening.  Chef's Table is something I definitely want to try out.  Portions seem small and I might end up somewhere else for dessert.  Definitely not a problem getting much food in Manfredi's.

I'm in a DV cabin so I think I only have one guaranteed reservation in Chef's Table/Manfredi's.

Manfredi’s chef will coustom design a wonderful meal for you while CT is a set menu unles you cannot eat one dish for some reason..

Manfredi’s have some great corner tables near the window which are quite private. We actually had a few very special meals there.

14 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

Manfredi’s chef will coustom design a wonderful meal for you while CT is a set menu unles you cannot eat one dish for some reason..

Manfredi’s have some great corner tables near the window which are quite private. We actually had a few very special meals there.

Do you tell them in advance that is a special occasion?  How much can they customize, I wonder?

Thanks.

I'm voting Manfredi's because the atmosphere is a bit more party.

If you are worried about CT and not getting enough to eat, you can always start with hors d'oeuvres at the seafood sushi bar  in the World Cafe and then end the party back up in the WC with gelato. In truth, even DH, who is a big eater, finds the meal at CT to be satisfying.

It can't hurt to tell them in advance.

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Do you tell them in advance that is a special occasion?  How much can they customize, I wonder?

Thanks.

Within the limits of what ingredients are in the kitchen they can do almost any specials with lots and lots of arugula too!

They also have the most amazing bread basket....best specialty breads on the ship.

Edited by orchestrapal

24 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Had mine last April in Manfredi's private room.  🍸

Jim, I suppose you need a good sized group to reserve the private room?

Hey OrchestraPal.  I think you've almost convinced me to try Manfredi's for the bday.  I do like arugula.

My birthday is March 23 and we booked for Manfredi's (we are doing back to back cruises but only get one reservation per restaurant per cruise). Can't wait! We loved Manfredi's. We don't eat seafood and a lot of other stuff, so chef's table is not for us. The fixed menu (mostly seafood, even when we looked at the ahead menus we did not book our 2 allotted reservations) is just not for us. Somebody else will be able to have our reservations....

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Hey OrchestraPal.  I think you've almost convinced me to try Manfredi's for the bday.  I do like arugula.

We had 12.  Not sure how few or how many can be in there.  

Was that the night of the GREAT LURCH???  There was a big party in the private room that night when we were in Manfredi's!!!  By the next morning no one would have known that there was LOTS of RED wine on the carpet.  Good thing there were lots of extra wine glasses on board.

10 hours ago, deec said:

Was that the night of the GREAT LURCH???  There was a big party in the private room that night when we were in Manfredi's!!!  By the next morning no one would have known that there was LOTS of RED wine on the carpet.  Good thing there were lots of extra wine glasses on board.

Hi Dee,

Yes, the GREAT LURCH!.  We had just noticed the little fishing boat when it happened.  After all the crashing a great wine river flowed through the door near the entrance to M's right into the room and down the carpet to the side of the ship.  Our group, at great personal risk 😳 grabbed the curtains and held them above the flood.  Our shoes shall never be the same again.👀  We forgot to bill Viking for new shoes.  Figured they had enough expense buying new wine glasses......🍸

• Like 1

Hi, we just returned from 2 weeks on the Sky.  Manfredi's, in my opinion is hands down the best specialty restaurant, with attentive friendly waiters.  Food consistently fabulous.  We tried the Chef's kitchen twice, as you know it is a "fixed menu" and the menu changes every 2-3 nts. I believe, we tried both the Asian menu and the Indian food menu.  In both cases, they will definitely push the premium wine pkg. which was cheap at $25, one tasting to accompany each dish.   It is indeed a different experience, but I found the waiters to be robotic, they each have their descriptions to accompany each dish.  Found the service to be inconsistent and formal, plus tiny portions of food which did not appeal to our table at all.  My son and daughter in law accompanied us, they are definite foodies and they were not impressed, as were many of the other passengers we spoke with.  If you want a fun birthday, I would definitely do either The Restaurant (which is fabulous) or Manifredi's.  We loved our experience on the Viking Sky otherwise.

Edited by canook1
posted in wrong area

My DW and I will both be celebrating our birthdays on our upcoming cruise. I asked Viking through 'tellus' about the process for booking the private room, and this is part of the response I received:

"I am reaching out to you today in regards to the inquiry you sent about the private dining room reservations. For private dinning reservations you would just want to consult the on board guest services or the concierge. They would be happy to assist you with getting the private dining room for the nights of X and Y. I made a notes in your booking so our staff will be aware that you both are celebrating your birthdays and they will make sure to have a cake for you on those dates."

We aren't travelling with any friends, but our birthdays are a week into the cruise, and I'm hoping we'll have made friends with 3 or 4 couples by then to share our days with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk