Liquor in stateroom

runner15km

No. Liquor is not available for pre-order and you can't buy a bottle on board and bring it to your stateroom either.  You can bring as many sealed bottles of wine or champagne on board with you but there will be a corkage fee; $15 for 750ml bottles and $30 for 1,500ml bottles.  You can also order wine through NCL but not sure if a corkage applies to it.

9 minutes ago, TrpngBilly said:

No. Liquor is not available for pre-order and you can't buy a bottle on board and bring it to your stateroom either.  You can bring as many sealed bottles of wine or champagne on board with you but there will be a corkage fee; $15 for 750ml bottles and $30 for 1,500ml bottles.  You can also order wine through NCL but not sure if a corkage applies to it.

When did this change? You used to be able to order a bar set up ahead of time (for $80+).

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

When did this change? You used to be able to order a bar set up ahead of time (for $80+).

Sorry if I'm wrong about this but I've never heard of that and any time I've tried to buy liquor on board I've been told that I couldn't and was never offered an alternative.

3 minutes ago, TrpngBilly said:

Sorry if I'm wrong about this but I've never heard of that and any time I've tried to buy liquor on board I've been told that I couldn't and was never offered an alternative.

Buying from the store on board is different than pre ordering a bar set up or ordering pre cuise.  When you look at your reservation there is a lit of packages you can buy - things like birthday package, shrimp cocktail, cheese platter, etc.  If it's an option, you would see bar or liquor set up in that list somewhere.  I've never looked for it, so I'm not sure if it's something NCL offers.

Side note, if you are in a high level haven suite (I think an OS or DOS and up) you will get the choice of a bottle (or more depending on the room) for free. And all suites and many latitude levels get free prosecco .  

31 minutes ago, TrpngBilly said:

Is there a corkage fee for bottles you only plan on opening and consuming in your cabin?

9 minutes ago, citygirl62 said:

Is there a corkage fee for bottles you only plan on opening and consuming in your cabin?

There is unfortunately  Any bottle you bring on board you have to pay a fee for.  If you don't end up drinking it though, you can bring that same bottle on another cruise - I believe.  They put a sticker on the bottle to show that the fee has been paid, and as long as that sticker stays on, I would think you can being it on your next cruise and not have to pay for it again....I think.... lol  

Things may have changed - especially with the introduction of the UBP - rendering the Bar-Set Up as being redundant.

The Bar-Set-Up pops up from time to time here - below is a list what was offered circa 2014 and a phone number to call

Just before I went to post this a previous poster had purchased a bottle of Vodka - so the program is still active.

It is suggested (must be prearranged before the voyage) but if it slips your mind you can do the purchase thru

Room Service or if in a Suite your Butler. Where the port or State you are departing from has a liquor tax it might be

better to wait till out to sea to make that purchase saving around 10-15 dollars tax.

The bottles are full liters in most case and will provide enough drinks to last for a 7 days cruise YMMV.

Weigh the purchase of this Bar-Set-Up against the UBP and buying individual drinks on board for comparison.

XXXXX

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.
Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013
Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.
Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.
Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.
Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey
Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr
Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr
Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml
Cognac
Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml
Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml
Gin
Beefeater $80 1 Ltr
Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr
Liqueurs
Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr
Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr
Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr
Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml
Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr
Kahlua $100 1 Ltr
Rum
Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr
Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr
Scotch Whiskey
J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr
Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr
Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr
JW Black $123 980 Ml
Tequila
Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr
1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml
Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml
Vodka
Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr
Absolut $100 1 Ltr
Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr
Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr
Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr
Grey Goose L'Orange $120 1 Ltr
Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

NCL packages available for purchase show that you can buy bottles of wine but not spirits.  I'm planning on buying a couple of bottles of prosecco and rose wines for us to consume on the balcony.  Even with the 15.00 corkage fee charged to ALL bottles of wine brought on board, it is still preferable to paying for bottles on NCL's wine list.  The cheapest wine they have is about 32.00 a bottle and yet to buy it in a liquor store it's about four bucks!  I'd rather buy my favourites and pay the fee. It's not much different than their prices.  

28 minutes ago, citygirl62 said:

NCL packages available for purchase show that you can buy bottles of wine but not spirits.  I'm planning on buying a couple of bottles of prosecco and rose wines for us to consume on the balcony.  Even with the 15.00 corkage fee charged to ALL bottles of wine brought on board, it is still preferable to paying for bottles on NCL's wine list.  The cheapest wine they have is about 32.00 a bottle and yet to buy it in a liquor store it's about four bucks!  I'd rather buy my favourites and pay the fee. It's not much different than their prices.  

XXX

The corkage fee is ONLY for your own bottles you bring on board the ship.

If not uncorked you might inquire about a refund - don't know quite if and how this is done -

never have had left over wine. LOL !

XXX

There are beverage packages to suit most anyone tastes:

The most common is the UBP - Ultimate Beverage Package - with unlimited alcohol drinks wine booze beer etc.

The Corks & Caps - a beer and wine package

The Soda package - unlimited soft drinks

XXX Regarding your post and WINE there is the Viva-Vino package

This package is usually available for purchase in the ships Atrium for the first two days of the cruise - otherwise

contact Guest Services or Room Service for more info.

Not a current copy --- below --- reference only ! 

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

Please list the number of
bottles for your selection
The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88
 6 Bottles - $132
 8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California
 ___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia
 ___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy
 ___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France
 ___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California
 ___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia
 ___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina
 ___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California
 ___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile
 ___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado
 Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98
 6 Bottles - $146
 8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia
 ___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California
 ___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand
 ___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California
 ___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California
 ___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California
 ___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California
 ___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur
 Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110
 6 Bottles - $162
 8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California
 ___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California
 ___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California
 ___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California
 ___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add comment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TrpngBilly said:

Since when. You could when I was on Getaway December 9, 2018.

I have pre-bought a bottle of liquor on almost every Norwegian cruise I was on. The reason some people think you can't is because you can not buy it online. You MUST order it on the phone. Once onboard you can order a bottle for your cabin through room service. The bottle prices are on some of the menus in some bars.

Note that these prices for bottles to be consumed in your cabin are much higher than the price of bottles bought in the shops onboard to be held until the last day of the cruise before you get them.

I called NCL this morning and confirmed both the Viva Vino and Bar Set Up Service are still available. The representative also confirmed that mixers and garnishes are included with the bar set up service. The Viva Vino package should be available to purchase from any bar or the beverage package sales table. Hope this helps! :)

On 1/17/2019 at 8:06 PM, tallyho8 said:

I have pre-bought a bottle of liquor on almost every Norwegian cruise I was on. The reason some people think you can't is because you can not buy it online. You MUST order it on the phone. Once onboard you can order a bottle for your cabin through room service. The bottle prices are on some of the menus in some bars.

Note that these prices for bottles to be consumed in your cabin are much higher than the price of bottles bought in the shops onboard to be held until the last day of the cruise before you get them.

I have bought liquor for the cabin online. It was in the area of the wine purchasing.🤗

In many threads on the forums, this one being no different, there will always be people that tell you

what you're doing is wrong, immoral, etc.  My response to that is if prices were reasonable, there would

be no reason to "skirt" the system.

To your point, Rum Runners are a great way to have your drinks any time you like. 

It's like XM Radio.   They made it somewhat affordable, so they have a high number of subscribers.

Consequently, DirecTV other satellite provider's prices are so high that they force people to share a

sub and distribute the receivers.