Cancel or postpone our cruise

Wave61

Hubby had an angiogram yesterday and learned he needs a triple by pass as early as this coming Friday.  Our cruise is/was for March 31st so we've already paid in full.  We do have insurance, not through Carnival though but with the exchange rate we won't get the full value refunded.

I've not contacted the insurance company yet, was too long of a day yesterday.  I did call Carnival about my options and found it confusing.  We can cancel or we can postpone the cruise but either way the penalty is $500.00.  I'm thinking since we lose money on the exchange, it might be better to postpone it.  But the other thing is that we won't know much until after hubby's surgery and we have to let the insurance provider immediately.

Has anyone had any experience with this and what did you do?

Thanks and I hope this post makes sense since I've not had much sleep.

You can't actually Postpone the cruise it would be cancelling and booking another cruise. 

Thus the same fee.

It was Discussed in Depth in This Thread.

Hope Your Husband's Surgery Goes well and he recovers to full health.

Sorry if this wasn't helpful.

I am so very sorry you are going through this.  I would wait until after the surgery to call the insurance company, once you have a solid plan and have a few moments to really think and weigh it all out.  Did you book with a TA, or a PVP or on your own?  If on your own I would try to find suggestions of. PVP who can work more directly with you and help you plan ahead.  With insurance, you maybe able to reschedule with no penalty based on your policy.  Or maybe you get a full refund?  Even with the exchange rate.  If flights were involved you may have to cancel to get the refund there too.  Best wishes.  Read that policy carefully!  Who is the policy through?  

We have postponed several cruises (changed dates with the same booking numbers) due to various reasons. These have always been many months in advance and have never incurred in fees. But with the short notice, there of course will be fees. The insurance should reimburse you for these fee (less the exchange rate you mentioned.) Even if you cancel altogether the insurance will reimburse the fees. Good luck and God bless.

First off, sorry to hear of your husband's upcoming surgery.  Stay strong!  Second, you said your cruise is not until March 31st.  In these days of modern medicine, they will probably have your husband sitting up very quickly, and out of bed asap.  March 31st is more than 2 whole months away.  By then he might be fully cleared for almost all activity!  And even if not fully cleared, sitting on a cruise ship in the sun might just be the best medicine for both of you. He can get his exercise in walking  in the gym or on deck if he needs to.  I wouldn't cancel anything yet.  I cancelled 2 cruises literally the night before because of medical issues and my travel insurance paid every penny back. (and Carnival refunded my excursions and port taxes no problem)  I went on a cruise 3 weeks after emergency pacemaker implant and still had a blast!

• Like 1

I was concerned about a situation in regard to my friend that is planning on going with me as well. I do hope your husbands surgery goes through fine.  I was concerned that I might have to cancel our trip which is on the 31st as well.  I talked to the insurance lady, and she told me that my friends surgery was not a pre-existing condition, which happened after the date I had booked the cruise, that we should be refunded back, if we didn't go.  I'm hoping as others said, your husband and you, and we as well will be able to make the trip on the 31st. 🙂

• Like 1

Hope your husband's surgery goes well. The one time that I had to cancel a cruise was a medical reason as DH had the same surgery as your husband will have. We were scheduled for a Feb. cruise, and DH's surgery was mid-December. While the surgeon said he would be able to cruise in Feb., I felt it was too soon, and we subsequently canceled. I had already made final payment, I had purchased the insurance. We received a full refund with no problem. We were refunded a small amount from Carnival immediately the day we canceled, and the remainder was what we had to claim from the insurance co.

• Like 1

I would definitely cancel the trip.  You are coming from Canada, talk to your insurance company because to my knowledge if you go and anything happens to do with your husbands condition you would not be covered medically.My husband and I had to cancel a vacation because of a medical situation before a trip and were told you have to be stable 6 months prior to your trip.  You don't want to take a chance in the United States with no insurance.  We also are from Canada and have had to use medical insurance for emergency on cruise ship, use RBC it is the best we were even told that by Doctor at the Miami hospital. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your best wishes and helpful suggestions.  We have decided to cancel and the insurance is covering it.  As you mentioned AIO, we have to wait 6 months before we can travel again.  And we also needed to contact the insurance provider immediately, within one business day, to report this change in health.

Thanks again, everyone.

• Like 1

My husband had a quadruple bypass last year this exact week. My friend and i were going on a cruise that week. We got carnival insurance and got a full refund and we cancelled the day before the cruise. The first few weeks of recovery is very hard. Physical therapy starts about 6 weeks after surgery 3x week. I say wait. We think he wiil be good to go. Good luck. He can start PT when he gets back

• Like 1