Price adjustments for Non-Refundable Bookings, but before Final Payment Date?

DebInAntigua

We have a couple of pretty good deals on our next cruises in November. To get those deals, we let Celebrity change our bookings to "non-refundable" deposits.

I know they are generally very good about honoring a lower price if a better deal comes out, but does the low price guarantee only apply to refundable bookings? Should I even bother to monitor prices any more to see if they fall between now and the Final Payment Date?

Wondering if anyone else on the board has experienced this recently and can provide a definitive answer. Would X adjust our pricing if it falls lower and I catch it, or am I now locked in?

~ Deb

I'd recommend following pricing and if you see a drop, call and ask for an adjustment or upgrade. If you don't ask, the answer is automatically no, if you ask you may be rewarded with a yes. I've done that several times successfully.

So we booked with a travel agency (TA), but we just had this exact scenario happen. We initially booked an awesome promotion under a non refundable deposit for a sweet sixteen (2C Veranda) on the Millennium in August of this year. That same promotion just came out again, and our cabin category was $300 less per person ($600 less total). I called the TA to ask what our options were, and in order to take advantage of the price drop, we would have to cancel our initial reservation, losing our $500 deposit in the process. The TA also charges a $100 cancellation fee, and we would lose OBC, so it wasn't worth it in the end to rebook in our original cabin.

However, after learning that rebooking wasn't worth it, I asked about upgrading to a Concierge class guaranteed cabin, which I was seeing was $100 per person less than our original booking in the 2C veranda. Our initial deposit will count toward an upgrade and there are no cancellation fees to upgrade, so the only thing we will lose is $25 of on board credit provided by the TA (It's 10% of the cost back to us in OBC, so booking a cheaper rate means less OBC), but we will save $200 total for a better cabin category and get more perks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AuroraRose said:

So we booked with a travel agency (TA), but we just had this exact scenario happen. We initially booked an awesome promotion under a non refundable deposit for a sweet sixteen (2C Veranda) on the Millennium in August of this year. That same promotion just came out again, and our cabin category was $300 less per person ($600 less total). I called the TA to ask what our options were, and in order to take advantage of the price drop, we would have to cancel our initial reservation, losing our $500 deposit in the process. The TA also charges a $100 cancellation fee, and we would lose OBC, so it wasn't worth it in the end to rebook in our original cabin.

Glad it worked out well for you (I deleted that part of the quote) but I am surprised to hear that they would not honor the price drop. I inadvertently ended up with a non-refundable reservation recently (but only paid $25 and got a lower price and an extra $100 OBC so probably worth it) and the terms say "The minimum deposit for this reservation is Non-Refundable. A change fee of 100 USD per guest will apply for ship or sail date changes." so you'd think you could change the pricing down without penalty. Maybe the new promotion was only valid for new reservations?

Edited by MisterBill99

The issue arises if a promotion can be applied to a new booking only.

With a refundable deposit, they just transfer the deposit to the new booking, and give you a new booking number and up you go.

With a non refundable deposit, might be tricky. We converted from a refundable to a non refundable deposit one of our cruise, we had a new booking number, but for saving $600 and get an additional perk sounded worth it for us. But if we would do that again, we would loose $100 (or is it $200?) pp. 

There is definitely more gamble here... Almost seems the way to do this is to book a lower category and keep upgrading with price drop... But then might not get the cabin you are looking for.

Edited by angelhelly

We have had a sailing re-rated about 6 times between the initial deposit and sailing (prior to final payment). Saved about 55% from initial booking price. It was not a non-refundable deposit (just $100 pp as it was done on the ship) so am not sure if that makes a difference. We had transfered the booking tot he big box TA. Our "casg back" card is less than initially quoted but we are happier to not overpay.

Also we had airfare (non-refundable) re-rated when we changed arrival cities. Not a lot of a decrease-- but -- it was enough that after paying the penalty ($225) pp-- the penalty only upped the Biz class tickets by about $118 pp.  

Edited by Fogfog

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 12:48 PM, angelhelly said:

... Almost seems the way to do this is to book a lower category and keep upgrading with price drop... But then might not get the cabin you are looking for.

I'm WAY too picky to take that gamble. I look for balcony cabins only on decks with cabins above and below on the surrounding decks, mid-ship, high enough to not be bothered by smoking areas, convenient to the elevators, no obstructed views, not adjoining, away from any MC railings (Edge),  bed must be by the balcony, not the bath, etc. Guess I'll just keep watching prices and see what happens!

2 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

I'm WAY too picky to take that gamble. I look for balcony cabins only on decks with cabins above and below on the surrounding decks, mid-ship, high enough to not be bothered by smoking areas, convenient to the elevators, no obstructed views, not adjoining, away from any MC railings (Edge),  bed must be by the balcony, not the bath, etc. Guess I'll just keep watching prices and see what happens!

This is EXACTLY what I look for in a cabin!!!   I booked for October with a non-refundable deposit and I do check daily for price drops.  So far it has gone up over $400.   But if it does go down I will call my TA and see what she can do for me.   If she can't give me the price drop I will still be happy with my 3 perks, extra OBC and my great cabin location.   (I doubt that we will consider upgrading as my sister is coming with us and we have connecting cabins on the hump.   Most of the connecting hump cabins in higher categories are booked already.)

2 hours ago, micheleata said:

This is EXACTLY what I look for in a cabin!!!   I booked for October with a non-refundable deposit and I do check daily for price drops.  So far it has gone up over $400.   But if it does go down I will call my TA and see what she can do for me.   If she can't give me the price drop I will still be happy with my 3 perks, extra OBC and my great cabin location.   (I doubt that we will consider upgrading as my sister is coming with us and we have connecting cabins on the hump.   Most of the connecting hump cabins in higher categories are booked already.)

I had a cruise booked originally with a refundable deposit, and then I saw one with an extra perk, so now I have four, along with more onboard credit.  The only reason I did that was because I had purchased insurance for my original downpayment due to issues with my dad and needing pre-exist and CFAR(cancel for any reason.)  Otherwise, I would have never booked an NRD.  I know I can move up with the big box store, but not down.  I would only move up anyway...

Edited by Lastdance