AFL Ticket Questions

DH and I will be visiting Melbourne at the end of March.  I'm anxiously awaiting the day the AFL tickets go on sale!   Quite a few folks on this forum have been kind enough to share their thoughts on which teams we might want to see,  youtube videos to watch so we won't be totally lost, etc.

Since I have to purchase our tickets on-line I've been visiting different ticket sellers.  I'm must confess - I'm am totally confused :classic_blush:.   What's the difference between "Public Reserve" and "AFL Reserves"?   And MCG said  that general public tickets won't be on sale until March 6th.   I do know that we want to purchase reserve seating 

Right now our plans are to see games at MCG.  Should we try and see a game at Marvel too?

** we're also very excited to be in town for the International Comedy Festival!! 

Any information, thoughts, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!  

The MCG has different sections, with different entrance requirements.

MCC Reserve is for Members of the Melbourne Cricket Club. Waiting list is 15-20 years.

AFL Reserve is for people who have bought certain membership categories.

Public is for everyone else. The categories and prices are mostly determined by the location in the stands -- both in relation to the field and the level or tier. Look for Level 2 seats towards the middle of the gound for best view.

The MCG is a great place to watch football, one of the best stadiums in the world.

Marvel I dislike, personally. I am not alone in this. A friend described going to a game there as like being an audience member for a TV show. However, i have also seen some great games there.

Marvel, best seats are level 2, just about anywhere they are available.

Docker123 has explained it very well. The MCG is my favourite ground, mainly because of my MCC membership but I do attend Marvel at least 7-10 times a season because it is the home ground of the club I support. And yes level two is the best for viewing an AFL game. But is also one of the most expensive areas to sit. 

Overall I would choose games at the MCG. The ticket seller is Ticketek. For Marvel it s Ticketmaster. March 6th is when public tickets go on sale - both general admission and reserved seats.

Leigh

Thank you Docker123 and Leigh!   At this point in trip cost - I'm good with whatever we have to pay to get the best seats we can.  As my aunt always said "It's only paper" LOL.  Her other great piece of advice was "go and do while you are able to go and do because all to soon you won't be going anywhere except to the doctor".  Yes, she was a jewel!

I'm putting an alert on my phone for March 6th!

punkinir, on the 6th March the tickets will go sale at 9am our time Australian Eastern Standard Time. You won't need to be on at 9am but if you want good seats, probably a good idea to try and get them on the 6th or in the next few days after. They could be on sale up until the day of the game depending on availability. 

Leigh

@punkinlr  Do you know what games you wish to attend?  The game itself usually determines the urgency of whether you should buy tickets or not.

For example: If you are in town on Thursday March 28th, that night is the Richmond V Collingwood game. For that game, you will definitely want to buy your tickets as soon as possible as there is likely to be 80 - 90,000 people going to that game. (the atmosphere at that game will be great too).

Alternatively, if you were going to the Hawks (my team) V bulldogs game on the sunday afternoon, I would suggest a crowd of around 45 - 50,000. The urgency for purchasing tickets to that game would not be as great.

Basically if the authorised AFL site lets you select and buy the ticket then you are eligible to purchase it so let that be your guide. MCG is best venue to watch AFL but Adelaide Oval at night is stunning but smaller. Don’t buy through viagogo.  Go to the AFL website and follow their “purchase tickets” link. 

As Pushka says, avoid Viagogo at all costs.  The MCG is a good venue but then I liked Docklands (Marvel?) too.  I'm from across the country and I can certainly tell previous posters that our new Optus Stadium gives all others a run for their money.  If you get a chance to see 2018 Premiers the West Coast Eagles you'll be in for a treat.  The game itself is magical and I wish you and your partner every joy in your attendance.

End of March... so rounds 1 & 2.  Your options are:

Thurs 21 Mar - Carlton v Richmond @ MCG

Fri 22 Mar - Collingwood v Geelong @ MCG

Sat 23 Mar - Melbourne v Port @ MCG

Sat 23 Mar - Western Bulldogs v Sydney @ Marvel

Sun 24 Mar - St Kilda v Gold Coast @ Marvel

Thurs 28 Mar - Richmond v Collingwood @ MCG

Sat 30 Mar - Essendon v St Kilda @ Marvel

Sun 31 Mar - North Melbourne v Brisbane @ Marvel

Sun 31 Mar - Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs @ MCG

If I was after a competitive game with a big crowd, I would target one of Collingwood v Geelong or Richmond v Collingwood.  Both will be probably upwards of 80,000 and between teams likely to play finals.

MCG is by far the best stadium in the country. If you must visit Marvel as well, I would opt for Western Bulldogs v Sydney, though I might be biased being a Swans fan.

You don't need to buy tickets on day one, but if you hop on within the first week IMO you won't have any problems. Level 2 on the wing is the best view, but level 1 close to the fence generally has good atmosphere.

Oh, I just realised you mention between 31 Mar and 7 April on another thread. In that case I'd absolutely go for the Grand Final rematch on 6 April. You could also go to Carlton v Sydney in the afternoon at Marvel and then walk down to the MCG for Collingwood v West Coast.

Have fun!

On 2/7/2019 at 1:03 PM, RadioBoy said:

@punkinlr  Do you know what games you wish to attend?  The game itself usually determines the urgency of whether you should buy tickets or not.

For example: If you are in town on Thursday March 28th, that night is the Richmond V Collingwood game. For that game, you will definitely want to buy your tickets as soon as possible as there is likely to be 80 - 90,000 people going to that game. (the atmosphere at that game will be great too).

Alternatively, if you were going to the Hawks (my team) V bulldogs game on the sunday afternoon, I would suggest a crowd of around 45 - 50,000. The urgency for purchasing tickets to that game would not be as great.

Why buy early for Rich v Colliwogs?

The mighty Blues aren’t playing.

42 minutes ago, losfp said:

Oh, I just realised you mention between 31 Mar and 7 April on another thread. In that case I'd absolutely go for the Grand Final rematch on 6 April. You could also go to Carlton v Sydney in the afternoon at Marvel and then walk down to the MCG for Collingwood v West Coast.

Have fun!

Or see Carlton and forgetthe rest.

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

The mighty Blues are, how to put this nicely, not.

Yep, not a sad as those others I mentioned.

But then again why watch aerial ping pong hen there’s probably a good game of League on somewhere, as long as it doesn’t involve the Storm.

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep, not a sad as those others I mentioned.

But then again why watch aerial ping pong hen there’s probably a good game of League on somewhere, as long as it doesn’t involve the Storm.

Know you are employing an oxymoron and that NRL thing. 

For all all to enjoy and amire, especially our friends from across the sea or the bay, here are some of the nice goodies that arrived from Perth yesterday. 

5CFADB44-5C74-4912-86D9-D469F0994500.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, losfp said:

Have fun!

Absolutley try to go to the GF rematch - Collingwood v West Coast - get your tickets as soon as possible.  What a shame you're not going to be here for Anzac Day, the Essendon v Collingwood match is a magical afternoon, especially if you've not got an iron in the fire.  We went to Melbourne some years ago for the Anzac Day game and I am still so glad that we did.  We saw 4 games (including a Richmond v Dockers match at Docklands) and the whole week was memorable, but the AD Game was a bucket list event for us.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Absolutley try to go to the GF rematch - Collingwood v West Coast - get your tickets as soon as possible.  What a shame you're not going to be here for Anzac Day, the Essendon v Collingwood match is a magical afternoon, especially if you've not got an iron in the fire.  We went to Melbourne some years ago for the Anzac Day game and I am still so glad that we did.  We saw 4 games (including a Richmond v Dockers match at Docklands) and the whole week was memorable, but the AD Game was a bucket list event for us.

The ANZAC Day is my favourite match of the year. I haven't missed any since its inception. The game between Melbourne and Richmond the night before is really good too particularly when the lights go off and everyone is asked to turn on their mobile phone torches as the Light Horsemen make their way around the ground. Spine tingling!

Leigh

• Like 1

Many years ago we watched the ANZAC Day parade through the city followed by the Essendon-Collingwood game.  The march and the ANZAC ceremony at the game made for a very emotional day and the roar of the crowd at the opening bounce was spine tingling.  It was just the best experience.

• Like 1

My father tossed the coin at the Fremantle v Geelong Anzac Day game in Perth in 2008. It was a few months after the finding of HMAS Sydney, which he was drafted off 3 weeks before the sinking.

Being 87, his hands weren’t the best, but he practised for a week. The captains used too much force shaking his hand, and his fingers could hardly move for the toss.

Dad hated football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

My father tossed the coin at the Fremantle v Geelong Anzac Day game in Perth in 2008. It was a few months after the finding of HMAS Sydney, which he was drafted off 3 weeks before the sinking.

Being 87, his hands weren’t the best, but he practised for a week. The captains used too much force shaking his hand, and his fingers could hardly move for the toss.

Dad hated football.

Still a great honour for your dad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Dad hated football.

How absolutely wonderful for your Dad and what a prideful moment for the whole family.  Those young men (the captains) have no idea how strong their hands are or how fragile are the hands of the elderly.  Nevertheless, I trust he still enjoyed the honour.

I'm not a fan of Australian Rules football, but if you have time on a match day, and have already washed your hair, done the laundry and slowly and agonizingly removed your own teeth with a rusty pair of pliers, you may feel up to attending a fixture.

There are a few things to take note of however.

1 The price of an entry ticket will be approximately equivalent to the cost of your cruise

2 You will not be able to bring any food or liquid refreshment with you into the arena

3 any alcohol you seek to smuggle in will be be confiscated and later consumed by the Kiwi security staff at their local rugby union fixture.

4 You will be charged an exorbitant price for half strength, watered down beer and extremely cheap wine, or cans of specially produced  mixed drinks, usually Bundaberg rum essence, or extract of Jim Beam Bourbon mixed very, very generously with what will appear to be (in your case) Walmart home brand coke substitute

5 You will wait in line for the duration of a quarter of the match for the privilege of purchasing said alcohol, and to acquire standard football fare, at the same cost as a gourmet dinner in the best restaurant in town

6 Standard football fare consists of soggy watered down meat pies (nature and source of meat unspecified, but probably well matured road kill) smothered in a sickly sweet ketchup to disguise the taste, french fries, no more than six per serve, and Kentucky Fried Chicken, though not as you know it.

7 Your seat will be located at the furthermost position in the stadium from your gate of entry, and you will be surrounded by the most charming collection of  bogans you are ever likely to meet

8 Bogans are always fanatical supporters of one team or the other, and spectate in groups of their own kind, probably in the not unreasonable expectation that there is safety in numbers. They may be male or female, and will indiscriminately, for the duration of the match, scream rank, rancid, and obscene abuse at the umpires, opposition players and non committed supporters, but mostly at the umpires. Daring to applaud the play of their opposition's players, even mildly, such as " What a spiffing punch to the jaw old chap" will likely result in your being tackled to the ground and kicked senseless.

9 Australian Rules Football, contrary to any implication  you may reasonably derive from its name, in fact has no rules. An opponent may be kneed in the back, punched in the jaw, and pushed and pulled at any time,  irrespective of whether the ball is in the vicinity, and generally be entertained by ribald insinuations as to his ethnicity, his parentage, the sexual habits of his mother, and his similarity to any number of simians. Curiously also, it is one of the few ball sports in the world where the participants gain points for missing their target.

Anyway, enough of this, I'm certainly not one to seek to detract from your enjoyment of the game, so carry on, and the best of luck.

Ha ha, best laugh I've had for a while. Hope it was meant to be funny as it couldn''t be any more from the truth. 

5 hours ago, Obilix said:

I'm not a fan of Australian Rules football, but if you have time on a match day, and have already washed your hair, done the laundry and slowly and agonizingly removed your own teeth with a rusty pair of pliers, you may feel up to attending a fixture.

Hope this is written in jest but just in case it's not, here is my response - 

5 hours ago, Obilix said:

There are a few things to take note of however.

1 The price of an entry ticket will be approximately equivalent to the cost of your cruise - Grand final tickets may be the price of a two day cruise, but at the MCG or Marvel, the most you will normally pay at a game is less than $75.

2 You will not be able to bring any food or liquid refreshment with you into the arena - WRONG! At both the MCG and Marvel Stadium, you can bring in your own food (as we normally do, the only drink you can't bring in is alcohol.

3 any alcohol you seek to smuggle in will be be confiscated and later consumed by the Kiwi security staff at their local rugby union fixture - if you try to smuggle alcohol in you deserve to have it confiscated by whatever nationality the security staff are.

4 You will be charged an exorbitant price for half strength, watered down beer and extremely cheap wine, or cans of specially produced  mixed drinks, usually Bundaberg rum essence, or extract of Jim Beam Bourbon mixed very, very generously with what will appear to be (in your case) Walmart home brand coke substitute - cans will not be served! And from experience the beer is not watered down! 

5 You will wait in line for the duration of a quarter of the match for the privilege of purchasing said alcohol, and to acquire standard football fare, at the same cost as a gourmet dinner in the best restaurant in town - I would think that would be the case at all sporting events. Your gourmet dinners must be very cheap!

6 Standard football fare consists of soggy watered down meat pies (nature and source of meat unspecified, but probably well matured road kill) smothered in a sickly sweet ketchup to disguise the taste, french fries, no more than six per serve, and Kentucky Fried Chicken, though not as you know it - pies will be Four n Twenty, which are fine to eat at the football, served with TOMATO sauce not ketchup unless you want it. Plenty of french fries - normally many more than I could eat in a serve. No KFC! Red Rooster in the MCC Reserve.

7 Your seat will be located at the furthermost position in the stadium from your gate of entry, and you will be surrounded by the most charming collection of  bogans you are ever likely to meet - you enter the stadium at the gate indicated on your ticket which is the closest to your seat.

8 Bogans are always fanatical supporters of one team or the other, and spectate in groups of their own kind, probably in the not unreasonable expectation that there is safety in numbers. They may be male or female, and will indiscriminately, for the duration of the match, scream rank, rancid, and obscene abuse at the umpires, opposition players and non committed supporters, but mostly at the umpires. Daring to applaud the play of their opposition's players, even mildly, such as " What a spiffing punch to the jaw old chap" will likely result in your being tackled to the ground and kicked senseless. Ha Ha - true if at a Carlton game!

9 Australian Rules Football, contrary to any implication  you may reasonably derive from its name, in fact has no rules. An opponent may be kneed in the back, punched in the jaw, and pushed and pulled at any time,  irrespective of whether the ball is in the vicinity, and generally be entertained by ribald insinuations as to his ethnicity, his parentage, the sexual habits of his mother, and his similarity to any number of simians. Curiously also, it is one of the few ball sports in the world where the participants gain points for missing their target - have you ever been to a game?

Anyway, enough of this, I'm certainly not one to seek to detract from your enjoyment of the game, so carry on, and the best of luck.

I'm sure punkinur and her husband will enjoy the game.

Leigh

• 2 months later...

Some of you guys, and I'm looking at Possum here, scoffed at me when I pointed out the high cost of food at AFL  matches.

Well, how do you feel now that its been revealed that the cost of a chicken and rabbit pie at the Essendon game was $725?

(Ducks and sneaks away sniggering.)