Two days post cruise help! (FLL and MIA)

gratamama

We are flying out of MIA a full two days after an 8-day cruise out of FLL. It's my husband, our two kids, 14 and 4, and myself.

I am really struggling with where to get a hotel and what to do over those two days. Of course, I want to have a nice time, but I'm trying to keep things budget friendly and the SoBe hotels are a little ouchy on the budget for this already expensive trip. (And, we've stayed there last time at Surfcomber on Collins.) Open to ideas that involve (or don't) a rental car. Thanks!

It would be helpful if you could provide your dates and budget and whether you prefer staying in Miami or Fort Lauderdale so you receive more specific responses.  If you are still trying to decide between the two cities, check out www.sunny.org for attractions and hotels in Fort Lauderdale.

We arrive back in FLL on Sunday, April 21, and fly out of MIA the evening of Tuesday, April 23.

I am still trying to decide on "where" so I will check that out. One way or another, we need to get to MIA :)

I would love a hotel that is $200/night or less but I know that's incredibly hard near the beach....

Thanks!

I just queried Fort Lauderdale hotels for those dates on TripAdvisor and there are a number under $200 (not sure it those rates include taxes too).  I know you mentioned possibly renting a car.  Be aware that many hotels on/close to Fort Lauderdale beach charge $20+ per night for parking (im Miami the rate is usually much higher).

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Brickell in Miami and enjoyed it very much.  It is a safe clean area and is within walking distance to many restaurants and shops.  Also it is extremely close to the Metro Mover which can take you all over.

After a bit more research, I'm currently zoning in on three places:

Hollywood Beach Doubletree

Hilton Marina - Fort Lauderdale

Sonesta - Fort Lauderdale

I would appreciate any insights on these properties, especially on what you think of them for 2 nights with two kids, as I stated below. Sonesta is the most expensive, but if its most bang for buck, maybe we'll go for it. I  like the idea of having some beach time, but honestly, my kids will probably gravitate to a pool. TIA!

Also, would $80 for an Uber from Fort Lauderdale sound about right? We're 4 people so we might need an XL.

Edited by gratamama

Not sure how strict your budget is, but Margaritaville Hollywood would be the best bet. Amazing pools, beach, the broadwalk with playground and all sorts of things to do with kids.  But it's going to be a budget buster for sure.  2 days with kids, no need for a rental car - you probably want something on the beach with a pool and things to do is my thought.  Nothing beats Hollywood Beach for that. Lots of options including some less expensive boutique hotels but many don't have a pool. 

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites very close to the Fort Lauderdale cruise port.  It's really nice and they have a great breakfast that is included!  If you do rent a car, drive along the beach either north or south.  Embassy may have a shuttle.  There are also some good restaurants close by - a steakhouse that I can't remember the name of was very good!  We've taken the Super Shuttle from FLL to MIA and they can pick you up at the hotel - reasonably priced!  Or call an Uber.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BNBR said:

Not sure how strict your budget is, but Margaritaville Hollywood would be the best bet. Amazing pools, beach, the broadwalk with playground and all sorts of things to do with kids.  But it's going to be a budget buster for sure.  2 days with kids, no need for a rental car - you probably want something on the beach with a pool and things to do is my thought.  Nothing beats Hollywood Beach for that. Lots of options including some less expensive boutique hotels but many don't have a pool. 

Agh.... I would LOVE to go to Margaritaville, but it is about $200 above our budget for this leg, sadly. I've got a preschooler and a 14-year-old headed for private HS in the fall. Gotta draw the line somewhere! :)

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'll check out Embassy Suites. Of the 3 I listed earlier, Hilton Marina looks like a decent deal at about $340 all in for two nights. Looks like they have a shuttle to the beach, and with the savings, I can pay for HOHO water taxi, which I anticipate they'll want to do.....

On 2/14/2019 at 1:45 PM, gratamama said:

Agh.... I would LOVE to go to Margaritaville, but it is about $200 above our budget for this leg, sadly. I've got a preschooler and a 14-year-old headed for private HS in the fall. Gotta draw the line somewhere! :)

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'll check out Embassy Suites. Of the 3 I listed earlier, Hilton Marina looks like a decent deal at about $340 all in for two nights. Looks like they have a shuttle to the beach, and with the savings, I can pay for HOHO water taxi, which I anticipate they'll want to do.....

While the Embassy Suites is a good option...keep in mind their parking is about $24.00 per 24 hour period. Just behind the ES is a very popular pre/post cruise hotel ... Hyatt Place (our new favorite instead of ES). Parking there is $8.00 per night and it's right next door to the Harbor Shopping area with Publix market and many shops & restaurants (our favorite Duffy's).

We've gotten great rates with Hyatt Place (convention center location just off 17th Street) booking directly with Hyatt as a member or using the website    www.valuetrips.com

Best of luck in whatever you choose for your family.