* Koningsdam in Port Everglades - Sail a Way - Feb. 13th, 20`19 *

kazu

Just now, IllinoisGirl1978 said:

Who get the urge to snack during sail-a-ways? I'm currently eating gummy worms ( I have no shame)

Hey, it's girl scout cookie season; they confronted me outside a local CVS yesterday, and would not let me go until I purchased one Samoa and one thin mint box from them

• Like 2

Those winds in San Juan that blow on the starboard side of a docking vessel can be brutally strong.  When Captain van Eerteen was docking the Westerdam when I was aboard, he came on the P. A. and said that he was not sure he would be able to dock and we would have to leave.  I was standing on the starboard side at the time and it really was extraordinarily stong wind!  He did make a safe docking, thankfully.

1 minute ago, Happily@Sea said:

So maybe these oversized ships are too big to miss the permanent parts of the ports. 

What he, the captain of the Epic, took out and made into submersibles, are two, what are known as 'dolphins', sorta kind like attachments of the actual pier with a/multiple bollards on them to wich a/multiple mooring lines are attached.

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

We have a plow for the huge driveway but have to shovel the sidewalk and more importantly a path for the dogs for 'outside'.  They're very happy with this weather though 😄

I fondly remember having to clear a long, sort of figure 8 path with my snow blower so our labs could "do their business." The course had to get more complicated as the winter wore on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

What he, the captain of the Epic, took out and made into submersibles, are two, what are known as 'dolphins', sorta kind like attachments of the actual pier with a/multiple bollards on them to wich a/multiple mooring lines are attached.

But they are a permanent part of the pier system? They don't take them in each night, do they?

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hey, it's girl scout cookie season; they confronted me outside a local CVS yesterday, and would not let me go until I purchased one Samoa and one thin mint box from them

No place to buy Girl Scout Cookies where we live.  You have to order them on line.  Gee -- I can remember going from house to house to sell them -- about 400 years ago.  Those were the good old days.:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

I fondly remember having to clear a long, sort of figure 8 path with my snow blower so our labs could "do their business." The course had to get more complicated as the winter wore on. 

No snow blower - we shovel 😞. It's too tricky to snow blow on our driveway or out back so we are forced to do it the old fashioned way.

Oh yes, it does get more complicated as winter goes on, but the dogs don't mind making me "dig" for their "treasures" in the snow 😉 

Just now, Krazy Kruizers said:

No place to buy Girl Scout Cookies where we live.  You have to order them on line.  Gee -- I can remember going from house to house to sell them -- about 400 years ago.  Those were the good old days.:classic_laugh:

I was able to go to GS camp by selling cookies.

1 minute ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

35 cents a box, too.

Just now, Happily@Sea said:

But they are a permanent part of the pier system? They don't take them in each night, do they?

Yep; FYI, they're made out of concrete and anchored into the sea bottom so taking them in each night is not a day at the beach :classic_wink: 

10 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Well, I hope Norwegian is paying for the replacements.  San Juan has enough to deal with.

• Like 3