Poolside Cocktail Service

mfs2k

We have seen a general decline in pool servers since drink packages became the norm.  We mainly cruise royal and celebrity, and 10 years ago we would literally be hounded nonstop by servers pushing drinks.  Flagging one down when you needed a drink took 2 seconds.  These days it's hit or miss in our experience.  Sometimes they seem to be around, though still not in the numbers we used to see.  Other times we are lucky to see a single one pass by over the course of an hour.

• Like 1

We have seen a general decline in pool servers since drink packages became the norm.  We mainly cruise royal and celebrity, and 10 years ago we would literally be hounded nonstop by servers pushing drinks.  Flagging one down when you needed a drink took 2 seconds.  These days it's hit or miss in our experience.  Sometimes they seem to be around, though still not in the numbers we used to see.  Other times we are lucky to see a single one pass by over the course of an hour.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:32 AM, mfs2k said:

How is poolside cocktail service on Celebrity Caribbean cruises?

Are there enough servers circulating around the lounge chairs?  Do you have to chase them down to get a drink or are they there when you want them? 

Do most of you give a cash tip to a cocktail server every time they bring you a drink,  or you don't bother carrying cash to the pool and you assume the included gratuity is enough?

I'm going on Celebrity (Equinox) for the first time next month. 

Thanks for your input. 

Always had great service. Tipping is appreciated AND yes 18% is in your package or automatically added on a drink by drink order without a package. So you don't have to give cash or tip each signed check...its already "in there"

We have often developed a nice rapport with out fav bartenders (we will often go to the Ensemble Lounge for before/after dinner drinks and to listen to the jazz etc.

We are amazed how by the second night they know our names,preferences and often bring us our drinks without having to order... And they keep record of our card etc.

We always tip them out in cash at the end. That kind of service is pretty spectacular.

Enjoy your cruise. Cheers

30 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

we will often go to the Ensemble Lounge for before/after dinner drinks and to listen to the jazz etc.

We are amazed how by the second night they know our names,preferences and often bring us our drinks without having to order... And they keep record of our card etc.

This sounds amazing.  What fabulous service. 

I was looking at pics of the various lounges on Equinox. Ensemble Lounge looks like one of the nicest and most comfortable.  I'm really looking forward to drinks here, before dining in Blu or the Specialty restaurants we booked.   

3 hours ago, mfs2k said:

This sounds amazing.  What fabulous service. 

I was looking at pics of the various lounges on Equinox. Ensemble Lounge looks like one of the nicest and most comfortable.  I'm really looking forward to drinks here, before dining in Blu or the Specialty restaurants we booked.   

Our "go to " guy was pretty great.

On sea days somehow he'd look up which bar we had scanned at...

He appeared when on duty-- and would make us great frozen drinks of melon, basil etc... great refreshing "off menu" things.

He was worth Worth every penny! 

On 2/14/2019 at 9:23 PM, wrk2cruise said:

But the drink package is not free, it's included.  If you are lucky enough to get an unbundled price you will see how "free" it is.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating.  By choice, we sail in inside or OV cabins.  Our TA comps gratuities on X.  To get the alcohol package on X, we are required to get an OV.  I'll challenge anyone to find me a better price on an unbudled fare plus the cost of the classic package.  Even on other cruise lines booking an inside cabin plus an alcohol package, I can't beat the X bundled costs. 

two occasional exceptions:   last minute bookings occasionally get so cheap that an inside plus the alcohol package is a great deal.  Until I add the last minute airfare.  The other is NCL when they run a perk deal.  Until I add a dining package,which is pretty important since the food in the MDR was pretty bad.  

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 8:12 PM, yellowhat said:

Down at Guest Services, you can pick up 'Comment Cards'..to complain or commend about service and/or staff. They are available every day of your cruise.

A positive sunny comment about Crew will win them a extra hour sleep, half day off, etc. 

These comment cards are ready daily, and are worth their wealth in support and gold $$$ confirmation for the  Crew.

Your comments/confirmation about the crew is worth  a million dollars!!

This is 100% accurate. I submitted a a comment card about a sommelier who had provided excellent service and wine recommendations. The next night, when I sat down for dinner, the sommelier showed up quickly and placed a glass of wine in front of me. He asked me to taste it and said this is from me. I knew immediately that this wine was above the premium package. I thanked him and he said “no, it is I who thank you.”  He went on to say that my comment card had been read at the daily meeting. Because of it, he got extra time off. I said “ you can sleep in.” He said, no I am studying to become a  master sommelier and will use the time for that.”  You never know how much good that card can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Straughn said:

This is 100% accurate. I submitted a a comment card about a sommelier who had provided excellent service and wine recommendations. The next night, when I sat down for dinner, the sommelier showed up quickly and placed a glass of wine in front of me. He asked me to taste it and said this is from me. I knew immediately that this wine was above the premium package. I thanked him and he said “no, it is I who thank you.”  He went on to say that my comment card had been read at the daily meeting. Because of it, he got extra time off. I said “ you can sleep in.” He said, no I am studying to become a  master sommelier and will use the time for that.”  You never know how much good that card can do.

That made me smile, thanks for sharing!