Regent World Cruises

Floridiana

We also got the jacket and shirt.  The jacket was too heavy and immediately went into the suitcase.  Shirts are hanging in the closet.  No journal.  I update my blog each morning and that will be my journal.  

Since you really seem to want to know it all, I might spoil some surprises for you.  The last two nights Sette Mare was closed.  Both nights a dinner event - Australian Delights - was held for only World Cruisers.  Half were invited each night.  It was a buffet but we did preorder and were served our salt free meals.  Mine was very good.  The other World only events were the gala in Los Angeles and the symphony in Sydney.  We opted out of both.  We took the $2400 off the cost of the cruise and used miles to fly to LA and stayed at an airport hotel.  We took a city sightseeing tour.  We took the hotel shuttle back to the airport and took the free Regent transfer to the ship.  Our total cost was around $300.  We skipped the Sydney trip to go to the Blue Mountains.  We ran out of time to do this the last time we were in Australia  We have no regrets with our decision.  The next day we took the tour of the Opera House and got to spend five minutes in the Grand Hall listening to the Sydney Symphony rehearse.

Ships time changed again last night.  It is very confusing so we just let the cabin steward change the bedside clock.  Sometimes it is forward one hour.  Sometimes it is back one hour.  Sometimes we just move 30 minutes.

And, for anyone booked on the Navigator, they are in the process of replacing all air conditioning "pipes" and water pipes.  They hope to get rid of any brown water problems (which we have NOT had) and improve the A/C on the ship (which we have had).  We have a fan in our cabin.  When we are in the cabin, the fan is on.  All public areas are warm.  Many men just carry a jacket and hang it on their chair.

See day today.  Komodo Island tomorrow.  They told us to NOT wear red. 

40 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

We were also advised not to wear red during our visit to Komodo Island. As usual, some guests chose to ignore the warning; obviously candidates for the Darwin Awards.

One of the guides on the island gave us the tongue-in-cheek advice to stand next to someone you felt you could outrun 😉

On 2/13/2019 at 5:16 PM, Floridiana said:

We are looking at the 2021 world cruise. No onboard activities are online yet, but what are the usual activities on such a long Regent cruise with many sea days?

DH wants a cruise director to organize bridge games. I am interested in lectures on the culture of the countries we are visiting, water exercise classes, tai chi and some sort of arts and crafts. The website doesn't say anything about included excursions. In the past, we have booked ship's excursions or done our own thing.

We have never cruised on Regent before, but have cruise experience on about 15 lines, all relatively small ships except a 2400 passenger Princess ship. We were looking at an Oceania and a Viking world cruise. It's Wendy's fault that we are now talking to our travel agent about Regent. 😉

My parents did a Regent world cruise.  Loved it. Lots of activities and lectures. They saved a bundle with their agent too. So definitely contact them to get more expertise service. 

5 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Since you really seem to want to know it all, I might spoil some surprises for you.  The last two nights Sette Mare was closed.  Both nights a dinner event - Australian Delights - was held for only World Cruisers.  Half were invited each night.  It was a buffet but we did preorder and were served our salt free meals.  Mine was very good.  The other World only events were the gala in Los Angeles and the symphony in Sydney.  We opted out of both.  We took the $2400 off the cost of the cruise and used miles to fly to LA and stayed at an airport hotel.  We took a city sightseeing tour.  We took the hotel shuttle back to the airport and took the free Regent transfer to the ship.  Our total cost was around $300.  We skipped the Sydney trip to go to the Blue Mountains.  We ran out of time to do this the last time we were in Australia  We have no regrets with our decision.  The next day we took the tour of the Opera House and got to spend five minutes in the Grand Hall listening to the Sydney Symphony rehearse.

Again, thanks.  Since our cruise in 2021 will be different from yours, I doubt if you're spoiling much for us.  We need to have little tidbits to feed our anticipation!  We'll probably fly on points too, probably drive to Miami,  although we will probably do the pre-cruise gala--are you saying that you saved $$ by not doing the gala?  Or just by flying on your own?  I think it would be a good time to meet our fellow world cruisers.

Our three special WC events during the cruise are: Mystical Moa on Easter Island, the Boggo Road gaol in Brisbane, and some event at Wadi Rum in Aqaba.

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

, probably drive to Miami,  although we will probably do the pre-cruise gala--are you saying that you saved $$ by not doing the gala?  Or just by flying on your own?  I think it would be a good time to meet our fellow world cruisers.

We'll also drive to Miami. Our travel agents says we save by driving, but the gala and hotel are included whether we use them or not.

15 hours ago, HotRoot said:

The first time we went, the ship had a substantial number of younger passengers. Everybody was told not to go ashore if they had an open wound or were bleeding. The guide said the monitor lizards can smell blood over a distance of 5 km.

On booking last summer our Travel agent said when hotels announced she was going to price out pre cruise hotels as she can often get us better hotels for less money. I may have misunderstood so I will clarify Monday. I will also be curious on the hotel Regent chooses. 

The $2400 was for opting out of air and hotel.  I do remember it was two different amounts - one for air and one for hotel.  The ;people who went said you met the people at your table.  

Clocks changed again last night.  We had our segment voyage dinner last night.  This is my party.  I reserve a table for 8.  They only have 3.  I have the Executive Concierge send invitations.  I buy favors.  The number of favors continue to grow as the crew likes them.  This was our Farewell to Australia Dinner and the favors were koalas.

Time for Sunday breakfast with champagne and caviar.  

2 hours ago, HotRoot said:

The number of favors continue to grow as the crew likes them.  This was our Farewell to Australia Dinner and the favors were koalas.

You buy favors ashore for your table mates and the crew? Stuffed toys or magnets? Does the ship do themed dinners where they decorate the dining room and provide hats to go with the theme? 

20 hours ago, Floridiana said:

You buy favors ashore for your table mates and the crew? Stuffed toys or magnets? Does the ship do themed dinners where they decorate the dining room and provide hats to go with the theme? 

Yes, I buy the favors.  I have bought things I could put on the wine glasses.  The flowers were hair bows.  The band fit around the glasses.  The koalas were clip on.  They held on to the glass.  The crew put them on their jackets.  The only decorations we have had were for Valentine's Day.  That was mostly balloons.  Last night Jamie said he was going to decorate for the Academy Awards.  I haven't left my room yet so do not know what he did.

I forgot to say my husband had a hair cut and it was $39.  

We are overnight in Bali tonight.  On most overnight stops, we have a local group come aboard to entertain.  Sometimes we sail late so a group can come aboard.  Most have been good.

45 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

Yes, I buy the favors.  I have bought things I could put on the wine glasses.  The flowers were hair bows.  The band fit around the glasses.  The koalas were clip on.  They held on to the glass.  The crew put them on their jackets.  The only decorations we have had were for Valentine's Day.  That was mostly balloons.  Last night Jamie said he was going to decorate for the Academy Awards.  I haven't left my room yet so do not know what he did.

I forgot to say my husband had a hair cut and it was $39.  

We are overnight in Bali tonight.  On most overnight stops, we have a local group come aboard to entertain.  Sometimes we sail late so a group can come aboard.  Most have been good.

The haircut is not a bad price for a men’s cut.  Our local salon is about the same for a cut.  

Over a holiday cruise we bring small cute Christmas items for the crew as well.  It’s just a feel good thing to do.

Edited by MalbecWine

1 minute ago, Kwaj girl said:

Malbec Wine.....eek...DH pays $13 including tip here in Huntsville AL at a chain salon.  But then again...if you have OBC...use it!

I understand, but the salon is high end but others charge more in Florida.  He does not go to the Hair Cuttery their prices are at least $20.00.  You will not find a $13.00 haircut in our neck of the woods.

43 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

I understand, but the salon is high end but others charge more in Florida.  He does not go to the Hair Cuttery their prices are at least $20.00.  You will not find a $13.00 haircut in our neck of the woods.

Yes, DH does get his hair cut on board...Mario was his stylist/barber on Navigator last summer.  Do not recall price.  Here at home it's "Cuts by Us" as he takes just a standard cut, nothing special.

18 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Here in Dunedin Florida I pay about $30 for a cut, from a master stylist, a very good haircut.  Back home in Toronto such a thing would start at $75.  My husband pays $15 with tip here at a barber shop.  But $39 for a good men's cut is not outrageous.

19 hours ago, HotRoot said:

What did you do while in Bali?  Curious because our WC has an overnight there too.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Here in Dunedin Florida I pay about $30 for a cut, from a master stylist, a very good haircut.  Back home in Toronto such a thing would start at $75.  My husband pays $15 with tip here at a barber shop.  But $39 for a good men's cut is not outrageous.

Not outrageous at all - my cuts range from $30-45 (including tip) here in upstate SC.  They have the chains in town that would do it for less money but unless you find a good snipper that will stay in one place for a while, it can be risky just popping in.

Most of the decent independent men's salons around here run $35-40 before tip and usually include a drink or two, scalp/neck massage, shampoo, and a blow dry (which is kind of unnecessary when I'm on my motorcycle, but what the heck...)

23 hours ago, travelwell said:

Price sounds okay to me for a ship especially for good cut. Did you book hair appointments prior to cruise?

I do not know if you can book prior to cruise.  We have had no problem booking onboard.  They have one hair man and one nail woman.  We have been told Mariner has two of each.  Do not know if that is true.  They each take off one day a week.  Normally it is a port day.  They start at 9 am and work until dinner time.