Connecting in CDG airport in Paris

mertziek

Posted on the Air forum and not getting much for answers so thought I’d try here

We are flying in to CDG-Paris on Delta from the US and arriving at 8:05 am on a Thursday morning.  We have a connecting flight booked at 9:30 am to Copenhagen.  Our luggage will be all booked through to Copenhagen and obviously we will have our tickets.  Is this enough time to make our connecting flight?  Do we need to go through additional security check lines?  A bit concerned we may not have enough time to navigate the airport and not familiar with CDG airport.  Wondering if it’s like the crowds at Amsterdam.  TIA for any help.

I´d say that´s pretty ambitous. You have to change the terminal. That´s done by an extremly slow bus. Then you go through passport control and security at the terminal you depart from.

Did that last year coming from LA and connecting back home to Munich. But we had 5 hours.

steamboats

Rookie mistake - avoid CDG at all costs.  You might make it. If everything goes OK. Since you said your luggage will be checked thru, I can assume your travel is all on one ticket (not two legs bought separately) you will be OK.  You might miss your connect (or might not) but they will get you there eventually.

Are both legs on Delta ?  If different airlines, look on the CDG web site to see which terminals you will use.

We flew into CDG from the U.S. on Delta then connected on AirFrance for Venice. We had 1 1/2 hrs.   Luckily both airlines were in the same terminal.  It was crazy busy, with so many lines of people it was difficult to know which line to stand in.  (Similar to the Venice airport chaos).  We were convinced we wouldn't make the flight but we did !   If we needed to change terminals we wouldn't have made it, so check on that.

14 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Are both legs on Delta ?  If different airlines, look on the CDG web site to see which terminals you will use.

CDG to CPN is pretty likely KLM. And it will be different terminals as the connecting flight is an inter-Schengen flight ("domestic EU flight"). So you at least have to change within terminal 2 (like 2A) from the international terminal to the Schengen terminal (like 2F) and those are connected by a shuttle bus. I have to correct myself. We had to go through security at 2F, then boarded the bus (Navette bleu) to 2F where passport control (immigration) followed.

steamboats

8:05 arrival will make it tough. One time we came in, also on Delta, around that same time. We were in first class, so got off the plane quickly, were some of the first in line at security checkpoint. They move slowly. Then had to wait for passport control. And if you have to catch a shuttle out to your plane, they close the gate 15 min before. So we just missed our flight. We eventually made it later that day.  Another time our flight arrived at 6:30am, and we breezed thru. Only flight coming in at that time. But at 8:05 , there will probably be many flights coming in and a long line.   And if you are in coach, it will take a while to get off the plane, putting you further back in the security line.

We have connected at CDG several times and never  had a problem.

I always try to schedule flights with at least 2 hours to connect.

I suggest calling your airline and try to connect a flight to Copenhagen that gives you more time.

If that doesn't work, check the CDG flights and determine what terminal your flight from the USA arrives at and then where your Copenhagen flight departs from.  We like Delta/Air France and most of the time our flights depart from the same terminal or the terminal across the street.

Also, check for later flights to Copenhagen and see what you would likely be placed on if you missed your flight.  There should be more flights that day.

20 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We have connected at CDG several times and never  had a problem.

I always try to schedule flights with at least 2 hours to connect.

I suggest calling your airline and try to connect a flight to Copenhagen that gives you more time.

If that doesn't work, check the CDG flights and determine what terminal your flight from the USA arrives at and then where your Copenhagen flight departs from.  We like Delta/Air France and most of the time our flights depart from the same terminal or the terminal across the street.

Also, check for later flights to Copenhagen and see what you would likely be placed on if you missed your flight.  There should be more flights that day.

We are Delta One from Detroit with our connecting flight to Copenhagen via Air France so we need to go to 2F.  I figured that out.  Hoping we come in 2E Hall K which would be closest. Is there a way to check that now for a flight in October?  The airline representative I spoke to yesterday told me we SHOULD have enough time.  Famous last words but we have all day to get to Copenhagen so I’m going to try to chill about it and go with the flow.  I appreciate all of the helpful comments.  As with all travel, it’s best to not stress too much and we definitely have plenty of time to regroup if we miss our connection in Paris.  Looking at our future flights through CDG and have 4+ hours for that so a lot more time to work with.  As I peruse the Delta recommended flights for our itinerary they all have short connection times of under two hours including through Amsterdam so obviously they think it is doable.  I miss the old days of airline travel where life was simpler!  Sigh....

Have the items you really need to start your cruise in your carry on(swim gear, travel toiletries, dinner clothes, casual outfit, etc.) Even if you make the flight your luggage may not.

Do not to pack any valuables in your checked bags (electronics, jewelry, money). 😞

Edited by Nola26

We have made connections in CDG twice in the last 3 years.  To Barcelona in January of 2016 and to Marielle in January of 2018.  In looking back at our tickets, we were on Delta both times.  In 2018 I had the same concern as you.  We were scheduled to arrive at  7:45am and our connecting flight to Marielle was at 9:25am.  Looking back, both years our delta flights arrived 45 minutes to an hour early in Paris.  We had to change  terminals both times, but since our flights were so early getting through security and making our connections turned in no issue at all.

It seems like they build a lot of extra time into these international flights.  Whether it is to make their on time percentage look better or to help those of us making connecting flights.  Since you booked it through NCL, I"m sure you will be fine.

Thanks to everyone for all of your advice, recommendations and encouragement.  When we travel we try to just go with the flow and not get too rattled.  We remain optimistic and won’t let it ruin our vacay.  Part of the adventure, isn’t it?  🤭😉

Lots of stress with CDG connections on recent trip.  Both ways had connections with less than two hours.   First time made it no problems.  No big slow down as we were "in transit".   Return trip same time frame but plane late leaving Casablanca.   Had to run for the gate....no problem with immigration....no bathroom time but did make it to plane which held  for us and others a while.  Reservations were made low cost by tour company.  Debated changing but cost prohibitive.  All worked out in the end. Good luck.