Communicating on my Celebrity cruise

Clemmnj

15 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

SERIOUSLY?   How about just meeting up in your room at a prearranged time?

Plan may change all the time. Also, it can be quite a walk to get back to the room to deliver a message. Just like picking up kids after school. We had a set time and location, and yet, there were many situation that we need to change the plan.

54 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

SERIOUSLY?   How about just meeting up in your room at a prearranged time?

Because the scenery was spectacular and I only went inside for a bit to get warm. And I don’t think rudeness needs to be a part of this forum. I asked a legitimate question and don’t see where your reply added anything to the discussion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

But your mother was taken to the hospital, so someone else was in fact making medical decisions. (And I certainly hope she recovered from whatever the issue was.)

I guess I just see a lot of people identifying things as emergencies that aren't emergencies, and then using them as excuses for needing to have their phones on all the time. I travel with the attitude of jkgourmet's father: maybe something will happen, but I'll worry about it when I get home. If I had responsibility for someone in particular, I'd arrange for a trusted friend or a paid medical aide to keep an eye on things. Not much I can do in the middle of the ocean.

I couldn't possibly take that attitude when I have children, elderly parents and family back at home.

Never knew a woman that couldn’t find her husband.  Whenever I am looking for my wife  I will sit along side and chat with another woman at a bar. 😱   It never fails.   I think they have that built in radar. 🤔

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, miched said:

Never knew a woman that couldn’t find her husband.  Whenever I am looking for my wife  I will sit along side and chat with another woman at a bar. 😱   It never fails.   I think they have that built in radar. 🤔

When they stop looking for you, it's time to worry. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 7:10 PM, Clemmnj said:

Because the scenery was spectacular and I only went inside for a bit to get warm. And I don’t think rudeness needs to be a part of this forum. I asked a legitimate question and don’t see where your reply added anything to the discussion. 

The comment does add to the discussion.

For every person who has legitimate reason to call there are dozens of passengers that are oblivious to their surroundings. The "ding" notification was mentioned earlier. Then there are the calls because the people want everyone back home that they are on a cruise, as if they didn't know already. "Look, we're on the ship. What? Yes, it's moving. What? Yes we just had lunch. What? Where are we? We're at the pool. It's really crowded. Where's baby? Baby, can you say nanna, nanna, nanna?"

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 1

I stand by my opinion that the person to whom my comment was directed was rude and added nothing to the discussion. He/she wasn’t advocating for no phones onboard ship, he/she was commenting on my inability to locate my husband.There was nothing in the response that indicated the poster’s position at all.  My original post asked about a messaging app, nothing more. I think the idea of a messaging app is great and look forward to utilizing it on my next cruise. If your position is that there should be no phones onboard at all then I can’t imagine that will ever happen and in my opinion it shouldn’t happen. While I agree that people can be inconsiderate of others while using a cell phone, there are legitimate reasons for wanting them onboard. I for one would rather politely tell the rude person that his/her non emergency phone call was disturbing my dinner than prevent someone with a sick relative from having contact. I actually believe that most cruisers respect the sensitivities of others while onboard and use the silent function on their phones and don’t make calls that are disruptive to others. If you find other people to be annoying then I don’t think cruising is for you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clemmnj said:

I stand by my opinion that the person to whom my comment was directed was rude and added nothing to the discussion. He/she wasn’t advocating for no phones onboard ship, he/she was commenting on my inability to locate my husband.There was nothing in the response that indicated the poster’s position at all.  My original post asked about a messaging app, nothing more. I think the idea of a messaging app is great and look forward to utilizing it on my next cruise. If your position is that there should be no phones onboard at all then I can’t imagine that will ever happen and in my opinion it shouldn’t happen. While I agree that people can be inconsiderate of others while using a cell phone, there are legitimate reasons for wanting them onboard. I for one would rather politely tell the rude person that his/her non emergency phone call was disturbing my dinner than prevent someone with a sick relative from having contact. I actually believe that most cruisers respect the sensitivities of others while onboard and use the silent function on their phones and don’t make calls that are disruptive to others. If you find other people to be annoying then I don’t think cruising is for you. 

After 20 cruises I'm certain that cruising is for me. What I don't understand is why it is so difficult to simply say "If I'm not here when you return, meet me at (pick a place)".

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

After 20 cruises I'm certain that cruising is for me. What I don't understand is why it is so difficult to simply say "If I'm not here when you return, meet me at (pick a place)".

It’s very easy to say it but in some situations not as easy to implement. As indicated in my original post I went inside to get warm. My husband was taking pics and moving from port to starboard and back again based on what might be visible on either side based on the naturalists pointing out particular ice formations or wildlife. I had no idea how long it would take to get warm and I certainly didn’t want my husband to miss anything while waiting for me. Plus, most of the boat was out on the top two decks so it was crowded. In that particular situation it would have been nice and certainly easier to have a messaging app. I can think of MANY situations where a messaging app would be useful.

7 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I recognize that some may want/need this, but I'm very happy to be disconnected at sea....the ships aren't that big, wandering around them is fun and after 25 + cruises have never lost my husband!!!

Different strokes. I wasn’t concerned about losing my husband. I was concerned about maximizing our time together in order to share in the spectacular experience of being in Antarctica. I knew we would meet up eventually. But if he’s looking for me and I’m looking for him then neither of us are enjoying our time in the unbelievable beauty of the scenery or the majesty of the whales or the playfulness of the penguins. Anything that could facilitate our finding each other quickly is a welcome addition as far as I’m concerned. 

24 minutes ago, Clemmnj said:

Different strokes. I wasn’t concerned about losing my husband. I was concerned about maximizing our time together in order to share in the spectacular experience of being in Antarctica. I knew we would meet up eventually. But if he’s looking for me and I’m looking for him then neither of us are enjoying our time in the unbelievable beauty of the scenery or the majesty of the whales or the playfulness of the penguins. Anything that could facilitate our finding each other quickly is a welcome addition as far as I’m concerned. 

As you said "different strokes"  when we were on our Alaska cruise at Glacier Bay we both were all over the open decks and loving every minute of it....didn't matter if we were together or not.....but to each his own.  I lock my cell phone in the safe when I get on the ship and take it out at the end of the cruise..... for me it's wonderful NOT be connected....

• Like 1