Communicating on my Celebrity cruise

Clemmnj

I recently returned from a Celebrity cruise to Antarctica. While taking pictures and videos of the spectacular scenery I would sometimes get cold and want to go inside for a bit. My husband would often want to continue taking pictures, moving from port to starboard based on the naturalist’s observations about what could be seen on either side. Here’s the problem. I had no way of getting in touch with my husband in order to find him again when I warmed up. I was discussing this with our table mates at dinner and they were lamenting the same issue. They did say, however, that Princess has an app that allows you to text other people onboard. Does anyone know if that is the case? I’m wondering if you would accumulate roaming charges for using the app or if you would have to shut down all your other apps to avoid extra data charges. If, however, Princess has managed to find a way to facilitate communication while onboard  I hope Celebrity quickly follows suit. 

Several lines offer some form of messaging.  You put your phone in airplane mode and connect to the ship's WiFi system so there are no charges to your personal cell plan.  You usually have to pay to use their WiFi to connect to your other apps or internet at-large, if that's something you want to do.

Edited by bEwAbG

Princess does have an app that can be used for messaging, but it doesn't "ping" the recipient, so there's no way to tell there's a message waiting without signing in and checking.  That's both a good thing and a bad thing, but we found that it limited the usefulness.  

My husband and I had very smooth communications using our iPhones on our Silhouette cruise this month.

We both had unlimited wi-fi chosen as one of our perks.  We put our phones on airplane mode; enabled wi-fi calling by tapping on settings; then phone; then enable wi-fi calling. As long as we were loggen on to the ship’s wi-fi, we could make calls as we normally do on land with no extra charges.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always manage to find my husband :classic_love: without the use of a cell phone; the ship's not that big, and he's in one of three or four places. Eventually, he'll make his way back to the cabin. And if I have moved on, I'll leave a note telling him where I am.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 2

Back in the day, before smart phones, we'd bring walkie talkies on board. In the mornings, my wife would sleep in, and I'd be on deck somewhere.  When she woke, she'd call me to ask where I was.  They worked great throughout the ship.  I still have them.   Nowadays, I'm sure they come with bluetooth headsets so as not to annoy other passengers. 

The Celebrity App that’s used on Edge has a messaging function.  We use it to chat when we’re in different areas of the ship all the time.  It works via the free part of the ship’s WiFi so no roaming or Internet charges.

Floris 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

Walkie talkie does not work well in large ships unless you are on open deck or in the balcony. The metal wall and hall way would block the signal.

I never had a problem and used them on very large ships. 

1 hour ago, Tourist1292 said:

Walkie talkie does not work well in large ships unless you are on open deck or in the balcony. The metal wall and hall way would block the signal.

AND, they are annoying as can be to others.

• Like 3

The Celebrity app mentioned above, that has a message function over the free WiFi, also currently includes four other Celebrity ships.  Those ships will eventually get the messaging function, and the remaining ships in the fleet will be added to the app. 

On Royal Caribbean, they currently support 14 ships ( 2 with messaging capability), and Azamara has one ship supported. 

I have heard they hope to have all supported by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind that they've been promising this app for several years now with several false starts.  There is really no good reason why the current version shouldn't already be rolled out to every ship.

49 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Keep in mind that they've been promising this app for several years now with several false starts.  There is really no good reason why the current version shouldn't already be rolled out to every ship.

Maybe they're already working on a new app, and they don't want to invest the money in the old one. 

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

Maybe they're already working on a new app, and they don't want to invest the money in the old one. 

The one they are working on is the new one.  It looks pretty consistent across the lines.  

More like they are trying to go slow, and get it right, instead of ticking off everyone all at once. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

This IS the new one.  The one they had before was a wrapper with pretty pictures that directed you to their website to book stuff.  They are certainly "trying to go slow" because this one has been in the wild for quite awhile now (released in December 2017).  There is zero reason why it should not work on every ship in the fleet by now, considering that the list of ships available includes 2 M-Class and 2 S-Class in addition to Edge.

Edited by bEwAbG

19 hours ago, florisdekort said:

The Celebrity App that’s used on Edge has a messaging function.  We use it to chat when we’re in different areas of the ship all the time.  It works via the free part of the ship’s WiFi so no roaming or Internet charges.

Floris 

So when you send a text (chat) to the other device(s) does it make a some kind of alert to the person you are trying to chat with?

1 hour ago, itzfitz said:

I was wondering, after looking through the App, where does it say message?  And if not message, how does one know how to use it to message a fellow passenger?

Great question!   Does the 'revolutionized'  Millineum have the app?  

we are traveling with others, but we don't get any Wi-Fi package, nor do we particularly want or need it.  

Yes -  Millennium was added to the App just after dry dock.  From what I've read on these threads Celebrity is struggling with the 5 ships they currently have on the app.     If Summit is added right after dry dock it may be a clue that something technology wise is change to all the ship to use the app.