Laundry Services Question

sbaker

We're doing our first NCL cruise in May on the Epic.  Because NCL ships don't have self-serve laundry facilities available, looks our only option is to send out our laundry to have it cleaned.  Can we trust that they'll do a good job?  Our concern is that maybe they use really high temperatures to dry everything and things will come back shrunk and looking pretty beat up.  For those who have used these services, what has been your experience?  

We've only sent out laundry a couple times, but they did a great job with it each time. Nothing shrank or got beat up in our experience.

The onboard laundry isn't your only option, strictly speaking. We've washed and dried socks and underwear using a bar of laundry soap and the shower clothesline. Bigger items, we tend to send out. You can also borrow irons (just call your stateroom attendant).

I used the "fill a bag" promo on my Med cruise and thought they did a great job. I didn't send anything super delicate like bras or bathing suits. Those I just hand washed. I sent cotton sundresses, shorts, t-shirts and other casual wear and it all came back clean and nicely folded in a basket. 

DH and I have used the NCL laundry service for an average of 2 cruises per year, since 2012.  We have only had one "mishap".

My newest pair of jeans were not returned with the rest of our items.  Happily, once I mentioned it to the room steward, he was able to retrieve them quickly (and they looked great)!  I hope this helps relieve your fears.

I've used the laundry service on all my cruises and nothing every came back shrunk and they have always done a great job.  The only issue I've had was on my last cruise when some buttons were broken on a shirt.  Took it to Guest Services and they returned it the next day with brand new buttons.

• Like 1

I, too, was apprehensive about using the laundry service.  Our last cruise was for 12 nights, so rather than pack that much clothes we gave it a shot.  They offered two separate fill the bag specials during the cruise and both times our clothes came back clean, folded and in great shape.  We were very impressed.   I'd much rather pay the $20 a bag and have it done for me vs fighting for a self serve laundry machine on my vacation.  😎After our next cruise we will be platinum and I look forward to having that free bag perk.

4 hours ago, sbaker said:

We're doing our first NCL cruise in May on the Epic.  Because NCL ships don't have self-serve laundry facilities available, looks our only option is to send out our laundry to have it cleaned.  Can we trust that they'll do a good job?  Our concern is that maybe they use really high temperatures to dry everything and things will come back shrunk and looking pretty beat up.  For those who have used these services, what has been your experience?  

We send 2 bags per cruise (3-5 cruises a year). Never had any problems. 

• Like 1

Have only had one issue with laundry on all our cruises and we always do at least two “fill the bags”. 

A few years back, a polo shirt was returned from the laundry with a stain that it didn’t have when it went.  I visited guest services, they were apologetic and said they would have it cleaned.  I got a call a few hours later and the laundry manager asked if he could deliver the shirt. He was apologetic that they couldn’t completely remove the stain. I could barely notice it and it wasn’t as bad as another place on the shirt that I had put on it previously. (This was my knockabout, go to the pool, rake the yard shirt).  I was completely fine with the results of their efforts but he wanted to buy me a new shirt. I refused and promptly forgot about it.  When our final bill came, I noticed they had credited back the “fill the bag” fee. So they certainly did everything they could to make me happy. 

Edited by Clay Clayton

We use the fill a bag special (you can fit a LOT in a bag) and have never had any issue.

They do use id tags that stay on your clothes, they can be a bit itchy.   However, it is fun to pull on a shirt or a pair of pants, see the little sticky, and remember where you wore it on the cruise.