Onboard the Regal

loge23

Taking a short 7 day cruise on the Regal to introduce friends from the UK to our favorite cruise line.

Thr entertainment and food is terrific but getting into the MDR (anytime) is the absolute worse experience we have ever had on Princess. There is a gate-keeper at the Symphony who apparently missed whatever customer service training that Princess may offer who actually turns people away without alternative or pager. Today, we tried to call for a reservation (anytime??) at 3:30pm and were told that reservations were already filled.

Does Princess condone this ridiculous behavior or are they OK with pissing off their customers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loge23 said:

we tried to call for a reservation (anytime??) at 3:30pm and were told that reservations were already filled.

On my New Year's cruise on Royal Princess, if I did not call before 8:30 A. M., it was impossible to get a dining reservation.  I was given a pager when I arrived at a dining room and needed to wait.  But, on December 31st, with a pager, my wait was 70 minutes!  No more anytime dining for me!

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

We were on Regal 3 weeks ago and had no difficulty getting into Symphony Dining room between 6 and 6:30, the host on the right side doors was not rude at all. Maybe a change in personnel? It also seems from one week to the next there can be a big difference in when the dining rooms are busy.

Anytime dining has had problems reported ever since Princess started offering it. When we had it, I found there was never a wait if we went late. 

I'd suggest speaking to any of the head waiters if you can't find the maître d'.

• Haha 1

Absolutely ridiculous that Princess can’t get their act together with anytime dining. 

We have always avoided the dining rooms on the Regal and the Royal for this very reason, choosing to eat at the excellent buffet or Alfredo’s.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am hesitant to publicly identify the "greeter", as I have handled the situation onboard during the cruise. 

One of the Head Waiters stepped up and defused the issue by assigning a 4-top to us, for which we were grateful.

It is however disappointing that such an situation persists on such a signature service on Princess. I appreciate the advice on this thread and can assure you that we've have tried everything in our many cruises - except Club. It appears that that option will be our best bet for any future cruises - which I suppose is exactly what Princess intends.

Bottom line is there's noticeably less staff onboard and the training isn't what it once was. 

• Like 1

We have used anytime dining on our  6 cruises and have never had any issues with maître d or getting a time.  Once we found out you could call at 8am and make a reservation that’s what we did and that was for a table of 2.  We enjoy anytime dining and will continue with it.

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, WisCruiser2 said:

Maybe a change in personnel?

Instead of assuming it is a change in staffing right away, there's also the possibility that the level of service received is reflective of the passenger's attitude towards an associate.

OP- not pointing fingers at you... this is a generalized statement based on the hospitality industry. In any workforce with a very high volume of employees, there are always some that are disgruntled and unhappy or some that have been yelled at by a different guest moments before.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, loge23 said:

I am hesitant to publicly identify the "greeter", as I have handled the situation onboard during the cruise. 

One of the Head Waiters stepped up and defused the issue by assigning a 4-top to us, for which we were grateful.

It is however disappointing that such an situation persists on such a signature service on Princess. I appreciate the advice on this thread and can assure you that we've have tried everything in our many cruises - except Club. It appears that that option will be our best bet for any future cruises - which I suppose is exactly what Princess intends.

Bottom line is there's noticeably less staff onboard and the training isn't what it once was. 

Thanks for the follow up.

Just a couple of comments from one who has done Open Dining on many Princess cruises including multiple cruises on the Regal.  They do sometimes limit (or not even allow) reservations during peak dining times (such as 6:00 - 7:30).  Also keep in mind that they will usually open up a 2nd MDR to Open Dining at a certain time (often 7:30).

We have had some "issues" with the door staff on a few Princess cruises (ironically never had a problem on the Regal).  Best way to deal with that kind of staff problem is while aboard the ship.  You can try to speak with the Dining Room Manager, Maitre'd, of you can go to Guest Relations and submit a written comment card (these are taken seriously whether the comments are very good or very bad).   

Hank

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Is the Allegro, (aft location), the only MDR that has Traditional Dinning?

Thanks all!

Allegro is the only DR exclusive to traditional dining. The Concerto DR offers traditional early seating only and then opens up for Anytime at 7:30pm.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Instead of assuming it is a change in staffing right away, there's also the possibility that the level of service received is reflective of the passenger's attitude towards an associate.

OP- not pointing fingers at you... this is a generalized statement based on the hospitality industry. In any workforce with a very high volume of employees, there are always some that are disgruntled and unhappy or some that have been yelled at by a different guest moments before.

Thank you - no offense taken!

I would like to assure everyone that I am not a person that ever would abuse any service personnel. I totally realize how hard they work and I am always cordial to all staff members. In fact, on our last two cruises prior to this one, we became very friendly with both greeters on those cruises, tipped them, and both got warm hugs on the last night. We even waited then and had fun talking with them! They were just warm, engaging people.

This time it was different. The individual was quite abrupt - not just to me - but to many. I should add that I did not argue with her - I simply walked in to the DR and sought out the HW for assistance. I should also add that the individual in question totally avoided me after the second night. She would see me coming and immediately get lost! In her case, an attempt at an apology or even an attempt at being friendly would have went a long way. Now, I will name her on the internal eval.

But to your point, yes, there are many jerks that simply don't know how to conduct themselves in high volume service settings.

But, on a positive note! The cruise overall was very good. We enjoyed the quality and selection of the food in both the MDR and Crown Grill (veal chop was alone worth the surcharge, have you checked the price in your local market lately?!) 

The entertainment was superb - something for everyone really. The ship's band was it's usual top-rate self. Graham on bass was the leader, with old favorite Ian superb as always on piano, a fabulous drummer and horns. At Cozumel, a terrific young guitarist joined the group - they were wonderful in the Wheelhouse for the Jazz combo breakout sessions.

There was another small combo that was also very good in the Wheelhouse, a pianist, a young Irish woman guitarist and vocalist, a better than average party band, and a very nice steel drum player. Couldn't ask for more. I did not hear the pianist in the Crooners this trip; for me if Perry isn't onboard, I usually pass on that venue. It looked like many others felt the same way.

The theater shows were very good, but I do prefer live music to the canned tracks. 

Finally, there was a Beatles tribute band that I really enjoyed - note for note musicians and vocalists, very much fun!

• Haha 1