Ship Time Question

Kosh III

We are doing an AK cruise on Solstice, I'm looking at an excursion which starts on Alaska time.  What time will the ship have? Pacific to match the departure/return port of Seattle or will it adjust to local time? 

TIA

When we took our first Caribbean cruise, I was shocked to see my cell phone reset itself to Universal Time (6 hours off central and 9 off Alaska. I would be very careful about making sure that any timepiece jives with ship time. That determines when they depart.

7 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

When we took our first Caribbean cruise, I was shocked to see my cell phone reset itself to Universal Time (6 hours off central and 9 off Alaska. I would be very careful about making sure that any timepiece jives with ship time. That determines when they depart.

That sounds like a flaw with your phone. I am not in my home time zone right now. My phone changed correctly. 

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

That sounds like a flaw with your phone. I am not in my home time zone right now. My phone changed correctly. 

Our phones have always changed the time zone whenever we have crossed some imaginary boundary, at least when it reads info off the correct tower. Locations can get a bit strange - like between Navarre, Florida and just east of Destin. See Gulf County Florida -- https://greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/florida/central-time/   What can I say... After it switched the time to zulu, it decided it needed to update most of the apps. Go figure? Modern devices suck. It seemed to get all squared away after getting it to turn off and debark at Cozumel. I later discovered while taking a tour of the main control room, where all the monitors and engineers are to control every function on the ship, that they are on zulu (UT) on all the clocks down there. Personally, I wish every clock in every place were on Universal Time. I think it would make life so much easier. Why would I care if my clock said 13:00 when the breakfast call rings? I think there was a bill in the House or Senate a few years ago to actually try that. Never happened. So many would rebel like when we tried the metric system.

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The ship will match local time. You can confirm this by asking on the Celebrity board.

Not always. We were warned down in the Caribbean in one port to make sure we were on ship time, not local.

40 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

Not always. We were warned down in the Caribbean in one port to make sure we were on ship time, not local.

Yes, but the question was asked about Alaska, not the Caribbean. Because the majority of the cruise is in Alaska, pretty much all the ships (I'm sure there is an exception, I can't think of one) will change to Alaska time.

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

Yes, the question is about Alaska, so relevancy? And, as you don't mention cruise line or port, hard to learn anything from your info. For example, Carnival (note the OP is on Celebrity,  which doesn't have said reputation)is known for not changing clocks. And Puerto Vallarto ( I know, not in the Caribbean) is confusing sometimes because it is right on a time zone line.

So no specifics is really of little value. 

Cruiser Bruce answered the question right away. I was just commenting due to the weirdness I found on RCI back several years ago. Never determined what caused the issue and it did not have any effect on our cruise because I'm normally on top of any issues with time because I'm an amateur astronomer and time is relevant always. On our upcoming cruise, the only points of note will be Pacific time in Vancouver being an hour off Alaska time and 2 off central time (East Texas). I feel sure that any announcements will be made on the ship concerning any time differences.

17 hours ago, Kosh III said:

We are doing an AK cruise on Solstice, I'm looking at an excursion which starts on Alaska time.  What time will the ship have? Pacific to match the departure/return port of Seattle or will it adjust to local time? 

TIA

This is up to the captain. While they usually go with local time, we experienced this once at Puerto  Vallarta. Older ship with a bunch of analog type clocks that had to be changed by hand one by one. 

Edited by jlp20
info

2 hours ago, jlp20 said:

This is up to the captain. While they usually go with local time, we experienced this once at Puerto  Vallarta. Older ship with a bunch of analog type clocks that had to be changed by hand one by one. 

Just curious... How old was the ship? And I like your Duct Tape sig. We were just really apprehensive on our first cruise since the Captain stressed to be on ship time. I sure would not want my Mickey Mouse on a different time than the Captain's tick-tock! It really makes sense on an Alaska cruise since all ports have the same time zone except when in Vancouver, Canada or Seattle. Again, time weirdness has always bothered me - and don't get me on a daylight time discussion. I caught hell on a FB RV board during one switch over - which reminds me - this coming Saturday night - clocks forward ;=] Well, unless your an Arizonian. Some still have to be done by hand!

Edited by masterdrago

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, the question is about Alaska, so relevancy? And, as you don't mention cruise line or port, hard to learn anything from your info. For example, Carnival (note the OP is on Celebrity,  which doesn't have said reputation)is known for not changing clocks. And Puerto Vallarto ( I know, not in the Caribbean) is confusing sometimes because it is right on a time zone line.

So no specifics is really of little value. 

I stated it was Solstice, that's a Celebrity ship which I assumed everyone would realize. 
All of Alaska is on same time zone so it mattered little that it is Juneau Ketchikan and Skagway; all the same. Only different time zone is Seattle which is irrelevant to my question. 

7 minutes ago, Kosh III said:

I stated it was Solstice, that's a Celebrity ship which I assumed everyone would realize. 
All of Alaska is on same time zone so it mattered little that it is Juneau Ketchikan and Skagway; all the same. Only different time zone is Seattle which is irrelevant to my question. 

My quoted comments were not directed at you. They were directed at the poster I quoted who had inserted some confusing info into the discussion. 

10 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Older ship with a bunch of analog type clocks that had to be changed by hand one by one. 

Just because they were analog clocks, they don't necessarily require changing by hand every time the ship has clox.

Even on the old steam ships in the 1970's most of our analog clocks were on a master clock system and changes were made from the Bridge.