Packing for Alaska

aalonzo2019

I am a light packer but will be in Alaska at the end of May.  I'm thinking to pack 3 pairs of pants ONLY because i am planing a zodiac whale watching excursion and if I get wet at least I have back up pants til the other ones dry.  Usually I'd only pack 2 pairs of pants.  So I'm getting out of my comfort zone trying to plan this trip!  I'm trying to figure out how to get all the layers I'm planning on into my 19 inch suitcase..... *sigh*  

Edited by Sauer-kraut

3 hours ago, aalonzo2019 said:

Hello! 

I always pack too much. For my 7 day Alaska cruise how many pairs of jeans should I take? 2 or 3? Or more? 

Depends a little on which cruise line.  Some like Princess have self serve laundry and you could wash or especially dry items which got wet.

36 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Depends a little on which cruise line.  Some like Princess have self serve laundry and you could wash or especially dry items which got wet.

Or the cabin level you are staying in.  A suite on Holland America gets free, unlimited laundry. Thus our clothes planning always takes that in consideration. 

So, there are so many variables. No one right answer, and not sure how we are supposed to answer for someone we don't know. 

Nobody can advise on how many pairs of jeans are required, but having spent way too many months cruising Alaska, the biggest variable is weather, which is dependent on which month you are cruising. When packing, best advice for Alaska is pack for layers, including protection against wind & rain.

Also suggest checking out the Alaska Board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

I would suggest taking pants that aren't jeans, since jeans take so long to dry.  You may very well get caught out in the rain.  Jeans will take longer to dry on your legs while you're still out and about.  They'll also take longer to dry in your cabin.  No need to buy fancy backpacker pants or anything.  Just take at least one pair that's not denim. 

Other packing considerations:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2019/03/packing-for-alaska-cruise.html 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, Melinda Brasher said:

I would suggest taking pants that aren't jeans, since jeans take so long to dry.  You may very well get caught out in the rain.  Jeans will take longer to dry on your legs while you're still out and about.  They'll also take longer to dry in your cabin.  No need to buy fancy backpacker pants or anything.  Just take at least one pair that's not denim. 

Agreed! Khakis are a great alternative, and 2 pairs should be sufficient

On 3/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, aalonzo2019 said:

Hello! 

I always pack too much. For my 7 day Alaska cruise how many pairs of jeans should I take? 2 or 3? Or more? 

You can always pay to have laundry done on the ship. Take fewer things like jeans and T Shirts. The laundry is not likely to ruin them.

A lot depends on what activities you are planning in port and the time of year you are going.  If you will be rafting, whale watching, etc, you may need 3 prs.  If you are just browsing the port or shopping, less.  Shoulder season will be more than July/August.

The trick for Alaska is packing lightweight layers you can put on and take off quickly as needed.

I'm a "more means options" person, so when we did a 7 day Alaska cruise in late July I over packed.  I included 3 pairs of pants for port days and Glacier Bay and too many skirts for dinners and on-ship days.   I also had shorts and swim gear because it was 80 degrees when we left Seattle.

After the fact, I wish I had skipped a few of the nicer outfits and doubled up on them to make room for a puffy coat in addition to the rain jacket I packed.  My thought was layering under the rain jacket would work, but to be honest I was COLD while on the front of the ship in Glacier Bay, probably because we weren't doing anything.  I ended up buying an overpriced and now useless NCL hoodie from the shops.  

I know you asked about jeans but being prepared for the real cold days is my nugget of wisdom.

Have fun, it's beautiful up there.  

I'm not sure whether you are a man or woman.....but I would take 2 pair of jeans and (if a woman), yoga pants, leggings or even nice sweats.  They are far more comfortable than jeans, dry faster than jeans and you can dress them up or down. You won't be alone.  Most everyone wears more comfortable clothes on board.   If you're a man - well...relaxed pants or sweats.  I'd take a good wind-proof jacket and a heavy sweater or hoodie.  It might be nice on land, but if you're out on the water it can get pretty chilly.  We went whale watching last October and we all needed hats, gloves and I wish I had a scarf.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, zqvol said:

You can always pay to have laundry done on the ship. Take fewer things like jeans and T Shirts. The laundry is not likely to ruin them.

You CAN pay for laundry to be done on the ship, but it's very, very expensive (for the average person).  A few ships have laundromats at reasonable rates, but only a very few.  If you take lightweight clothes, you can always wash them out in your room if you need to.  

• 1 month later...

Holland America has an unlimited laundry package for $49.00; we all want to save money, but that is a real lifesaver for us.  I pack so much less, and just leave our laundry in the cabin for room stewards to pick up.  It is usually brought back the next evening.  Cost is $7.00 per day X $7.00 = $49.00.  Just wonderful!

• Like 1