Florida Sunpass

Raxter54

We'll be driving to Ft Lauderdale for our Allure OTS cruise in February 2020. Our planned route will be using the Florida Turnpike. For those with experience on using the turnpike, would it be a good idea to open a Sunpass account and get a transponder, or just use cash at the toll booths?  The Sunpass seems to be very convenient, just want to see what everyone thinks. Thanks!

If you don't you will wish you had.  :classic_cool:

I suggest the $4.99 stick-on Sunpass.  The suction cup model is a lot more expensive and, in my experience, requires that you remember to remove it.  IOW, easily forgotten and lost.  The $4.99 model is 'permanent', works very well, and is easily the most common here in FL.

Your online account is easily setup, no monthly maintenance fees and is just 'there' for your use whenever the Sunpass is triggered.

1 hour ago, thinfool said:

If you don't you will wish you had.  :classic_cool:

I suggest the $4.99 stick-on Sunpass.  The suction cup model is a lot more expensive and, in my experience, requires that you remember to remove it.  IOW, easily forgotten and lost.  The $4.99 model is 'permanent', works very well, and is easily the most common here in FL.

Your online account is easily setup, no monthly maintenance fees and is just 'there' for your use whenever the Sunpass is triggered.

If the concern is about forgetting the suction cup sunpass, then wouldn't the stick on be even more of a concern if it's permanent?

Anyways, for someone out of state, obviously the suction cup sunpass makes the most sense to use in their car.  And yes, Raxter, most tolls nowadays are unmanned and do not accept cash.  So it's worth having a sunpass if you plan on driving in Florida.

I agree that the $20 portable is the better - long term - option

the sticker is a 'one time use' device, you glue it to the front glass. Instructions say it won't work if not attached to the glass (some report success). You can only attach one 'tag' to the sticker

on the other hand the portable - well I've had mine for over 10 years and moved it from car to car.  You can register more than one tag to the device (useful in a household) and with the APP it is quik and easy to add a rental tag should you fly down.  I routinely loan mine to friends visiting ..... family for a fee.

In most of Florida especially Orlando it is 'nice to have' as cash is always an option but as mentioned SOME exits may be exact change only.  When you get down Miami way and a few select roads in Tampa there is NO cash option and you either have a transponder (which gets a slight discount on the tolls) OR the system uses toll by plate and they send you a monthly bill plus a service charge.  This applies to SOME of the toll roads around Lauderdale as well.

"On March 15, 2019 starting at 7 PM, Florida’s Turnpike will be implementing All-Electronic Tolling (AET) at the following locations in Broward County: • Commercial Boulevard (Exit 62) • Cypress Creek Mainline Toll Plaza (mile post 63) • Coconut Creek Parkway (Exit 67) • Sample Road (Exit 69) This means that cash will no longer be accepted at these locations and tolls will be collected electronically using a SunPass, other interoperable transponder, or TOLL-BY-PLATE."

https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

How would you prefer to purchase your SunPass transponder?

In Person

Transponder will be mailed to you within 4-5 business days

p.s. fine print says there can be a delay in 'activating' a new transponder (which requires giving a credit card number or finding a cash payment place). I recommend getting a device and setting things up B4 you get here .... where you won't be relying on your phone internet to set up the account.

Edited by Capt_BJ

we have the suction cup unit, it's easy and portable.  We used to have the sticker but caught a large rock with the windshield and unfortunately the sticker is not transferable.  Some of the lines we passed using the sunpass were so long, that alone has made it worth it to us.

You can carefully remove and reuse the sticker.  Done it twice.  We used a razor blade and then stuck it on the new car, been on the new car for 2 years now.  Suction cup is better/easier though.

We used to have the sticker but caught a large rock with the windshield and unfortunately the sticker is not transferable. 

Good point ... I've had to replace several windshields over the years . . . 

The Sunpass also allows access to the I-95 express lanes south of Fort Lauderdale airport, if you choose to jump off the Turnpike and take a quick visit to Miami.

For what it's worth, you can hop off the Turnpike in Jupiter and take "free" I-95 south to Fort Lauderdale.  It's about 60 miles. They're adjacent in Jupiter, but the Pike is much farther west in Fort Lauderdale.

Driving to Tampa in a few weeks and using  a rental car. Would you suggest getting one for this? We’re coming down a few days early too, staying one night in St. Pete  and then in Tampa to Park and Cruise. Leaving a week from Saturday so it sounds like I need to get on it if so 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

The Sunpass also allows access to the I-95 express lanes south of Fort Lauderdale airport, if you choose to jump off the Turnpike and take a quick visit to Miami.

For what it's worth, you can hop off the Turnpike in Jupiter and take "free" I-95 south to Fort Lauderdale.  It's about 60 miles. They're adjacent in Jupiter, but the Pike is much farther west in Fort Lauderdale.

The turnpike is 2 minutes west of I95 in Fort Lauderdale.  They are practically next to each other.  I think you are confusing the turnpike with I75.

2 hours ago, dsnutz said:

Driving to Tampa in a few weeks and using  a rental car. Would you suggest getting one for this? We’re coming down a few days early too, staying one night in St. Pete  and then in Tampa to Park and Cruise. Leaving a week from Saturday so it sounds like I need to get on it if so 

Thanks!

I was under the impression that rentals had this Sunpass thing already included and you get the bill afterwards to your credit card. At least that's how it worked last 3 years with our Hertz rental.

If this is not the case anymore,  then I am also in trouble and would like to know more if anybody could enlighten the situation. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Miryam1234 said:

I was under the impression that rentals had this Sunpass thing already included and you get the bill afterwards to your credit card. At least that's how it worked last 3 years with our Hertz rental.

If this is not the case anymore,  then I am also in trouble and would like to know more if anybody could enlighten the situation. Thanks!

Most rental companies do include it with a charge. Might actually be cheaper to just pay the $20 for the portable transponder and have your own. But you should have no issues with the rental providing sunpass options. 

7 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Most rental companies do include it with a charge. Might actually be cheaper to just pay the $20 for the portable transponder and have your own. But you should have no issues with the rental providing sunpass options. 

Thanks! I am relieved to hear that. It's no use for us to purchase own, as we may or may not come back to FL in the future. (We come from Finland). Easier to stick to rental option. 

different rental companies have different policies and different charges .... most of the major players are mentioned here:

https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

some require you do nothing special and charge a daily admin fee only on day you use the toll system

others??? well here's some examples:

If not enrolled at time of reservation or at the rental counter, and user incurred toll charges by utilizing a dedicated or express lane, customers will be charged an administrative fee $15 per toll plus the cost of each toll, with a maximum admin fee of $90 per rental agreement.

$52.49 maximum weekly fee. PlatePass® All-Inclusive Tolling must be sold for the length of the rental contract. It cannot be purchased only on certain days. 

5 hours ago, BNBR said:

The turnpike is 2 minutes west of I95 in Fort Lauderdale.  They are practically next to each other.  I think you are confusing the turnpike with I75.

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out.

When the SunPass is registered / activated, that account is linked to a credit card or bank account. And, it's linked to a specific vehicle license plate. That plate doesn't have the be the one which you intend to use. (But, if you blow through a toll barrier, and your license plate isn't on their file, you are are subject to more penalties.)

The way the system is set up, you can't add the rental car license plate info to your account. With Alamo and Budget, you get a message that the plate is already registered on the tolling system.  You can, of course, use your portable SunPass or E-Z Pass, and hope that the charge goes through. It almost always does, I can recall just two failures in my dozens of attempts.  If it doesn't got through, you get the bill plus two admin fees. It's a bet I would take as long as I know my transponder is working.

Edited by Cienfuegos
typo

The way the system is set up, you can't add the rental car license plate info to your account. 

Not IME ... there's a specific TAB in the APP for adding a rental (on the portable transponder) ... even provides for adding an 'expire' date ...

what it says on the Sunpass site:

SunPass customers using a rental vehicle may have their tolls applied to their SunPass account. Customers with SunPass Portable transponders may use their transponders in their rental vehicles. It is strongly recommended that SunPass customers access their online SunPass accounts or contact the SunPass Customer Service Center to add the rental vehicle license plate to their account for the rental period. If the transponder is not in your vehicle or functioning properly, tolls from other agencies will not be posted to your SunPass account, and may be charged to you by the rental Service Provider. 

Thanks for that info, Capt_BJ.  It definitely contradicts my experience with E-Z Pass NY, which wouldn't let me add the rental car plate to my account.  "That plate is already registered to another account."  I used  my transponder anyway, and it worked fine.  I wonder if the SunPass operator restricts this feature to rental vehicles that aren't already registered on their system?

I'll have to try the Sunpass + rental feature.  I plan to rent a car with Budget's $18 a day special deal for NorthEast one way rentals in two weeks.

Edited by Cienfuegos
typo

3 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

I'm pretty sure you can transfer the transponder if you get the portable one.

For sure. This post got me thinking I haven't updated my license plate.  Transponder been working no problem. It's pretty simple, if the transponder works, no picture or processing of license plate. 

technical details most will ignore ... the way SUNPASS works, IME

when you drive under a 'reader'

1. if the system sees a transponder ... fee assigned, case closed.  IF NO transponder, the system reads the tag

2. check the SUNPASS database (may now include certain other linked systems) for registered 'tags' .. if found assign the fee ... IF NO

3.  check for fleet registrations ..... most rentals are here, fleet registered ..... pass the fee to the fleet owner ... and here is where you begin to deal with the rental company's processing and fees ..... IF NO

4.  From here - most of the time you are in your own car or a rental from a SMALL company or an exception to the process -  & it depends on if you are in a 'no cash area' like most of Miami and parts south .... or up north like Orlando. 

In cashless areas (like Miami) they send a monthly bill ... in not cashless areas they may send a violation ...... but the rental companies fleet register to AVOID getting a violation ........  your violation may be "running a toll"

{dd drove around Miami for MONTHS with her tag registered to MY SUNPASS account but no SUNPASS in the car .... ALL her toll charges showed up in my account.  What I'm saying is IF you have a portable SUNPASS and the TAG is IN YOUR ACCOUNT .... it doesn't matter if the SUNPASS is in your car!!!!!!!! ..... mine is linked to 4 cars and lives in a drawer in the kitchen most of the time}

Edited by Capt_BJ

We used it when we traveled down to Miami from Iowa two years ago and loved the convenience of it. We're doing it again for another cruise out of Miami this May and I've got it sitting on our counter right now. I'd do it if I were you. 

We will definitely be looking into getting a Sunpass for our trip to Ft. Lauderdale next Feb. for our cruise.  We cruised from Tampa this past Jan.  When we left the port our GPS took us on a toll road for a mile or so.  We knew we would be getting billed because there was no toll booth.  Our surprise was getting two bills.  The invoice numbers were different but the times, route, and distance were all the same. (We did not get on the toll road on our way to the port.)  I tried to call and email FDOT with no luck of getting through with the phone call and no answer to my email.  I am not wanting to receive two bills for next Feb. 

Edited by Dinda