Best excursion in Ketchikan?

pondhome

Looking for a really good shore excursion in Ketchikan. The Saxton Native Village sounds interesting, but really thinking about one of the Misty Fjords excursions.

Several offered, all expensive, but which is the best?  The floatplane over the fjords? Catamaran Cruise and then floatplane? Floatplane with crab feast? Anyone with experience at the all-you-can-eat Dungeness crab feast at 9:30 in the morning? 

Any other comments, please feel free.

Depending on the time of year you go, a bear viewing trip is amazing!  We flew with Carlin Air to Anan Bear Observatory and it was the highlight of our trip! It was July 4 (2018) and permits are required starting on July 5 - there were only 10 of us at the observatory.  The salmon had just started running, so there weren't tons of bears, but we saw plenty of bears fishing for salmon, as well as many eagles.  You get the float plane trip and bear viewing - amazing!

https://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html#anan

15 minutes ago, Bearvet said:

Depending on the time of year you go, a bear viewing trip is amazing!  We flew with Carlin Air to Anan Bear Observatory and it was the highlight of our trip! It was July 4 (2018) and permits are required starting on July 5 - there were only 10 of us at the observatory.  The salmon had just started running, so there weren't tons of bears, but we saw plenty of bears fishing for salmon, as well as many eagles.  You get the float plane trip and bear viewing - amazing!

https://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html#anan

We are going to be in Ketchikan in August 12. Too late into the season?

1 hour ago, Bearvet said:

I'm not sure if it's too late for Anan, but the other 3 places look available. Check with various vendors.  It's expensive, but it was the experience of a lifetime for us!

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 2.31.28 PM.png

The other issue to check besides time of year is what time your ship will be in port. We'll be visiting Ketchikan on August 23rd and wanted to do a Anan Observatory tour ... unfortunately the Celebrity Eclipse is in port from 2pm to 8:30pm. There isn't enough time to get to Anan and enjoy the viewing platform during operational hours. I was totally bummed! As an alternative, we're going to Traitors Cove instead. We've been to Alaska before and saw an incredible amount of bears on Admiralty Island so I'm not too stressed about seeing them this trip.

3 hours ago, DogLover said:

The other issue to check besides time of year is what time your ship will be in port. We'll be visiting Ketchikan on August 23rd and wanted to do a Anan Observatory tour ... unfortunately the Celebrity Eclipse is in port from 2pm to 8:30pm. There isn't enough time to get to Anan and enjoy the viewing platform during operational hours. I was totally bummed! As an alternative, we're going to Traitors Cove instead. We've been to Alaska before and saw an incredible amount of bears on Admiralty Island so I'm not too stressed about seeing them this trip.

You are off peak for Anan.   I never would consider this.    Traitors is peak. Which is excellent.   I was there again last season.  

Thanks, Budget Queen ... appreciate your input. Like I said, I personally have been to Alaska 4 times (only once with DH). I figured we were too late for Anan and once I contacted tour operators, that was confirmed. DH and I did a very small (12 pax) ship from Petersburg, AK several years ago and saw more whales, bears and wildlife than ever expected. Our primary objective this trip is to enjoy a part of world with spectacular scenery and get a few weeks break from the awful Phoenix summer.

We look forward to Traitors Cove!

On 3/13/2019 at 7:46 PM, pondhome said:

Looking for a really good shore excursion in Ketchikan. The Saxton Native Village sounds interesting, but really thinking about one of the Misty Fjords excursions.

Several offered, all expensive, but which is the best?  The floatplane over the fjords? Catamaran Cruise and then floatplane? Floatplane with crab feast? Anyone with experience at the all-you-can-eat Dungeness crab feast at 9:30 in the morning? 

I am very experienced with the floatplane with crab feast and the actual eating doesn't start until after 11:00 AM.  Here is a link to my photo review of the excursion:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-feasting

Skip the free appetizers lest you not be able to take advantage of every possible serving of crab legs.  FWIW very few diners have the capacity to enjoy the large piece of NY cheesecake for dessert.  I would also skip breakfast that day.

Edited by Crew News

28 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Skip the free appetizers lest you not be able to take advantage of every possible serving of crab legs.  FWIW very few diners have the capacity to enjoy the large piece of NY cheesecake for dessert.  I would also skip breakfast that day.

😃😃😃😃

On 3/16/2019 at 11:13 AM, Crew News said:

I am very experienced with the floatplane with crab feast and the actual eating doesn't start until after 11:00 AM.  Here is a link to my photo review of the excursion:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-feasting

The Dungeness in your pics look huge compared to the ones I see in the tanks at the market. Is the only way to the feast is via the air tour?

The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour on the Discovery Channel boat shown on TV is hard to beat if one is so interested in such a tour.  Otherwise, a flightseeing tour that lands on a lake in Misty Fjords has to be booked.  Expensive?  Yes.  But, the experiences and the memories of that tour are priceless.

1 hour ago, Sincity said:

The Dungeness in your pics look huge compared to the ones I see in the tanks at the market. Is the only way to the feast is via the air tour?

There are a number of other tours that end/start with a crab feast.  Here is a link to their website to see the other tours:  https://catchcrabs.com   Here is a link to book just the feast:  https://fareharbor.com/catchcrabs/items/19779/

Edited by Crew News

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:01 PM, Budget Queen said:

You are off peak for Anan.   I never would consider this.    Traitors is peak. Which is excellent.   I was there again last season.  

We did Traitors Cove with Island Wings in August and it was amazing, even with lower than normal water levels … I did not want to leave.  We also did Anan in (early) August out of Wrangell, via boat, and it was stellar bear viewing … I didn't want to leave there either.  ❤🐻🐻🐻🐻

Budget Queen - we'll be in Wrangell again, this time earlier in the season (July 5th which coincides with the first day that permits are required) - have you been that early?  Also, have you been to Admiralty Island, flying out of Juneau?

On 3/13/2019 at 8:46 PM, pondhome said:

We did a nature cruise and the crab feast last time. We had a blast. Crab was amazing. For this summer, we booked the crab feast stand alone and we are both sooo looking forward to it....

I am not trying to take anything against the Tribal dance and information you get from the Saxton tour but I did not enjoy it as much as the float plane ride or even just going to Mendenhall Glacier on the Blue bus instead of doing the ship tour for it.  It seemed the main thing at Saxton was a big push to get you in the gift shop.  Ketchikan also has the walkway with the shops with bridge the salmon run under when they are in season. Also you can see the Lumber Jack show at the end of the dock.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 4:39 PM, dustyroad said:

The float plane for sure.  Michelle with Island Wings is wonderful.  It was the best tour I took in all my tours

Could not agree more. We flew with her 8 1/2 years ago and she was fantastic! Glad to know she's still doing the tour. You will not regret this tour! She used to book up well in advance and expect she still does.