Sydney transportation and other stuff

We planned a few days in Sydney pre-cruise, but the flight takes 27 hours, bleh. We arrive Friday morning before the Saturday cruise. We are looking at Hyatt Regency Sydney because it looks like walking distance to aquarium, marine museum, and shopping. I see people talk about a train from the airport. We have 3 big 4-wheel luggage that we have no problems handling. Many public transportation do not allow big luggage that would block the aisle, even public transportation to/from the airport. Is the train viable or taxi/uber? And then what transportation to the Overseas P Terminal? I saw Sue00p's suggestion of Manly Beach area via ferry. That looks interesting. How would we get there? What is a good seafood place in/near Darling Harbour? Does Australia have some unique food to try? And why does Australia have a credit card fee? Even Carnival charges it. Is that just for tourists or does everyone pay it? Do you really not tip anyone, or are there places that we should tip, and what percent should the tip be? Is there a limit on how much cash can go through customs or a certain amount that has to be declared?

4 minutes ago, Davey Wavey said:

We planned a few days in Sydney pre-cruise, but the flight takes 27 hours, bleh. We arrive Friday morning before the Saturday cruise. We are looking at Hyatt Regency Sydney because it looks like walking distance to aquarium, marine museum, and shopping. I see people talk about a train from the airport. We have 3 big 4-wheel luggage that we have no problems handling. Many public transportation do not allow big luggage that would block the aisle, even public transportation to/from the airport. Is the train viable or taxi/uber? And then what transportation to the Overseas P Terminal? I saw Sue00p's suggestion of Manly Beach area via ferry. That looks interesting. How would we get there? What is a good seafood place in/near Darling Harbour? Does Australia have some unique food to try? And why does Australia have a credit card fee? Even Carnival charges it. Is that just for tourists or does everyone pay it? Do you really not tip anyone, or are there places that we should tip, and what percent should the tip be? Is there a limit on how much cash can go through customs or a certain amount that has to be declared?

I wouldn’t expect any trouble with three bags on the airport train, but would consider a taxi or Uber instead, train will set you back about $34 (it’s about $17 each) taxi or Uber about $45 or 50, train you then walk station to hotel, taxi drops you at the door.

same to the OPT taxi about $25 or 20

Unique food, I always say you must try a Meat Pie, a lamington (a type of cake) and a Cherry Ripe (a chocolate bar). You may also score some Kangaroo in a few restaurants.

credit card surcharge? Because they can.

As for tipping, if you tip nothing at all no one will think twice. I round up taxi fares (saves me a pocket full of coins our smallest note is now $5) similar in restaurants if I’ve had great service so a $85 bill I might give them $90 or $100, remember minimum adult wage is about $18 an hour with penalty for some shifts. Some coffee shops and sandwich shops may have a tip jar, chuck in a coin if you want, or don’t if you rather not, again no one really cares. Forge5 about tipping housekeeping totally unexpected, haven’t stayed at Hyatt but if there is a “porter” tip if you want (they won’t say no) or don’t up to you enturely, but many haters here you’ll carry your own bags unless you specifically ask.

seafood at Darling Harbour I’ve heard good things about Blue Fish, but haven’t eaten there in years, you could also visit the Sydney Fish markets, or get a ferry or taxi to Watson’s Bay and visit Doyle’s (there are a few outlets the one at the pub serves great food at a lower price). Rockpool is in Hunter st in the city but is, in my opinion too pricey for what you get.

If you're boarding at the OPT Circular Quay then train is fine as there is a station there. The trains are double decker but there is plenty of room on the train just inside the doors and seats for seniors, without having to go to the upper or lower deck.  You will have about 200-300 yard easy, level, walk to the ship.

51 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

If you're boarding at the OPT Circular Quay then train is fine as there is a station there. The trains are double decker but there is plenty of room on the train just inside the doors and seats for seniors, without having to go to the upper or lower deck.  You will have about 200-300 yard easy, level, walk to the ship.

I thought they were going airport to hotel, (Hyatt in Sussex Street). That’s why I suggested a taxi or Uber the extra $10 to 15 would be well spent.

1 hour ago, Davey Wavey said:

I saw Sue00p's suggestion of Manly Beach area via ferry. That looks interesting. How would we get there?

Does Australia have some unique food to try?

Do you really not tip anyone, or are there places that we should tip, and what percent should the tip be?

Is there a limit on how much cash can go through customs or a certain amount that has to be declared?

The ferry to Manly is from Circular Quay. The same place as the train station and the cruise terminal. It's a very economical way of seeing Sydney Harbour. You get off at Manly Ferry wharf and walk down The Corso to the beach, probably about 400 yards. If you are using public transport in Sydney you will need an Opal Card, which can be purchased from several shops at the airport or from the Airport train station.

If you are feeling adventurous, there is a 135 bus from Manly wharf that takes you to the North Head lookout.

Meat pies, of which there are many varieties and toppings. Mushy peas is a traditional one. The trick is finding a good pie shop.

Tipping is not necessary. It used to be almost unknown, but it has been creeping into high (and some not so high) end restaurants. Cabbies that hear an American accent may assume a tip is on offer. My advice is not to tip anywhere, otherwise this tipping thing will end up everywhere.

You may bring the equivalent to AUD$10,000 into Australia without having to declare it. If you have more you will get into trouble if you don't declare it.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I thought they were going airport to hotel, (Hyatt in Sussex Street). That’s why I suggested a taxi or Uber the extra $10 to 15 would be well spent.

OOPS forgot that bit.

Yeah, don't tip.  We have a decent minimum wage here but I've seen more and more tips jars on café and pub counters.

The trains on the airport line don't really cater for lots of luggage but our trains are double-decker and usually 8-carriages.  There's plenty of standing area in the vestibule area of each end of each carriage.

With Sydney's transport, you can buy an Opal card per person or you can use a credit card each to tap on and off at train stations, tram halts, bus stops and some ferry wharves.  Opal Cards are essentially free but you need to top them up at time of purchase.  They can be purchased at places like 711 and larger train stations.  You can also buy single trip tickets from machines at train stations.  Again, you'll need to tap on and off at the readers at station platforms.

If you're only here a for a day or so, you can use your Pay Wave or Pay Pass Visa/Mastercard to tap on and off.

Make sure you tap on at the reader and tap back off after leaving that mode of transport even if you're planning on switching to a ferry.  For example, if you catch the train to Circular Quay, tap on at the first station, tap off at Circular Quay station and then tap on at the wharf and finally tap off at the last stop.  It will calculate the correct fare.  There is a daily cap (maximum charge) of about $16 or something.

Check the website here: Opal website and Transport for NSW

Just be aware, some of the ferries at Circular Quay are private operations that don't accept Opal card so it's best to look out for the Opal card logo. 

Not every place charges credit card fees.  For example, most shops won't charge it.  It seems to be mainly big businesses like Carnival, Telstra, Vodafone, etc. that supposedly recover the processing fee (usually only 1% or so).  If you pay using Pay Wave at a café, takeaway shop or Macca's, chances are there'll be no surcharge.  I don't know how prominent EFTPOS machines that have Pay Wave (Visa) or Pay Pass (Mastercard) are in the US, but they're practically everywhere here in Australia.

I'd say meat pie as well is pretty traditional just try and go to a pie shop or a good bakery.  You probably won't get a good pie at the railway station kiosk.

Edited by plettza

Do not tip!  The contract of employment exists between the employer and the employee or the employee’s representative (Union / Professional Body) not, I repeat not, the employer’s customer.  The entire concept of tipping is abhorrent and reduces the employee to a subservient position.  In Australia, we pay our people a decent living wage (although certain areas of work could always be better recognised) and most of us are damn grateful for the sacrifices of those that went before us to ensure that this continues.

Edited to say that I'm sorry if my opinion offends some people.  I don't mean to do that, I am (obviously) passionate about this issue.  In my opinion, if we change the status quo it can only be to our detriment.

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Like 2

Will tip as we see fit, accepting that it is not required.

Example: our family group of 5A/1C went for dinner at a local chain restaurant here in Sydney. The young girl who looked after us did a great job. I slipped $20 into her hand and said "thank for looking after us so well". No harm, no foul. The space/time continuum was unaffected & there was no sign of abhorrence nor subservience. 

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Example: our family group of 5A/1C went for dinner at a local chain restaurant here in Sydney. The young girl who looked after us did a great job. I slipped $20 into her hand and said "thank for looking after us so well". No harm, no foul. The space/time continuum was unaffected & there was no sign of abhorrence nor subservience. 

LOL, Here in Australia, I tend to just round up when in a restaurant where table service is provided, elsewhere I follow what the custom is.

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

To each his own but my opinion is Do Not Start the Tipping Habit here in Australia,it’s not expected and not required,a nice warm smile and a thank you is sufficient 

Cheers Carole

• Like 2

Well, thanks for all the responses. My concern with tipping is not that I want to go around tipping everyone, but that I don't want to NOT tip somewhere that it is expected.

One interesting thing about these responses is I had to do lookups for word definitions. Examples: Circular Quay, NSW/New South Wales, Pay Wave/PayPass, OPT, and ANZ. I never knew Australia has states. I have only heard of places in Australia as just the city, like Sydney, AU or Canberra, AU.

The second thing is Australia is expensive. I still cannot imagine a mode of public transportation like your train costing so much. I can catch a bus here for $2 and go 40+ km across the whole city or beyond, or $4.50 for unlimited rides all day. That credit card surcharge thing is also surprising. Even big Walmart tried to do that and quickly undid it. I am interested to see Woolworth's. We thought they no longer existed. I haven't seen one since 1985. Seems I have lots of reading to do and more questions to ask. First one, is that Hyatt a good place to stay for seeing a little bit of stuff? I picked it randomly by looking at attraction tags on Google Maps and picking a hotel that was close to a cluster of attractions. It was a guess between Hyatt and Adina Apt. Hotel.

We really are looking forward to visiting even for just the two days before and after the cruise.

Sydney Is frequently at or near the top the most expensive place in the world to visit. In part because we have a living wage and great safety net for the less fortunate, but we also have a high standard of living, in general.

You will also find shortening names, including initials, comb, if your confused, ask.

a couple of examples you’ll come across, Ask for a grocery store you may be told Woolies (Woolworths) or fast food joint, Maccas (McDonalds who even adopt Maccas themself at times)

There is really no one you HAVE to tip, but no one will say no, or if they do it’ll be done nicely “You’ve given me too much mate, none of that tipping crap needed here” type of response.

And we actually adopted a hybrid govt, a lot UK a bit US, so yes we have States.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

I am interested to see Woolworth's. We thought they no longer existed. I haven't seen one since 1985.

It's Woolworths in name only.

I think it was started in the 1920s when two guys got together to start a retail company.

They sat down together and one said "We need a store just like Woolworths in the US".

The other said "But what do we call it?".

After a bit of staring at the walls, the first one said "How about Woolworths?"

The second one said "You can't call it that."

The first one said "Watch me."😁

Here in Aus Woolies is a grocery store, food stuffs basically.

Woolworths Supermarkets (trading as Woolworths and colloquially known as "Woolies") is an Australian supermarket/grocery store chain owned by WoolworthsLimited. Founded in 1924, Woolworths along with Coles forms a near-duopoly of Australian supermarkets accounting for about 80% of the Australian market.

11 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It's Woolworths in name only.

I think it was started in the 1920s when two guys got together to start a retail company.

They sat down together and one said "We need a store just like Woolworths in the US".

The other said "But what do we call it?".

After a bit of staring at the walls, the first one said "How about Woolworths?"

The second one said "You can't call it that."

The first one said "Watch me."😁

Original proposition was Woolworths Bazar, they then found Woolworths was not registered in NSW so grabbed it as the name, original site was near Centrepoint and a fist shareholder was Mr Gowings (another mob gone).

9 hours ago, Davey Wavey said:

I still cannot imagine a mode of public transportation like your train costing so much. I can catch a bus here for $2 and go 40+ km across the whole city or beyond, or $4.50 for unlimited rides all day.

I think in other countries, public transportation is city-based.  Indeed, in Germany the local governments form Vekerhsverbunde.  Here in New South Wales, the state government co-ordinates most of the services.  So, within the Opal card network, you could easily travel from Sydney to Newcastle (150km or thereabouts) for under $9.  The problem is, the value isn't there.  The trains are slow and uncomfortable and the public transport is disorganised in general.  From what I've seen (I haven't travelled Amtrak just seen it on Great Railway Journeys), Amtrak provides a much better, faster and more comfortable service.

Lastly, pensioners, those with concession cards, can ride for no more than $2.50 a day.

I should add, the railway line that links the airport was a public/private partnership, where the government puts the idea out to tender and the private sector build own and operate the line for a set number of years.  The private company then rips off customers.  The trains that run through to the Airport Link are still Sydney Trains but the stations are manned by the consortium staff.

We love the private sector robbing us blind while the state government abrogates its responsibility to provide infrastructure.  But that's a story for another time.

Edited by plettza

I'm one of those that qualify for the $2.50 a day fare. At age 70 it's the only government benefit I get and I'm grateful for it. I often use the train between Newcastle/Sydney, (frequently getting off/on at the airport stations) and would agree they are slow, no quicker for the journey from when they were steam powere3d. However, they have a lot more stops now than way back then, which slows down the total time traveled. As for uncomfortable, not at all. Up here in Newcastle we have been getting the Sydney cast-off rail cars for years. Lately we are now getting the more modern ones. My experience of the (Sydney) city lines is they seem, in my experience, to be regular, smooth  and comfortable.

Give me a 35-year old XPT any day.  We have the OSCAR cars here in Wollongong and the 3+2 seating is uncomfortable.  The seats may as well be made of Kevlar they're that firm.  There are no arm rests and I feel sorry for the poor schmuck sitting in the middle of the 3-seat.  There's no carpet which reduces noise dampening.  The vestibule is too open and not separated from the main area and so on hot days, all the cool air from the air-con goes out the doors.  There aren't any onboard food/café services.  There's no luggage area and no bike racks.  And there's only one toilet for every four carriages.  And to add to this, these carriages are shorter than the traditional carriages used on something like the XPT or Xplorer so they fit fewer people in.  Essentially, these are just suburban carriages with a dunny.

I guess I must be spoilt from my time in Germany where most of the trains had a café or buffet car and had comfortable seatings.  Oh, and their average speed was more like 100km/hr rather than 50km/hr here in NSW.  Also, in Germany trains had a designator, so for example, I'd frequently catch the RE11 or RE1 each of which would turn up at the same time on the hour.  Here in the Illawarra, trains don't have a designation so a couple of trains would leave at arbitrary times in the morning from Kiama and then leave at a different set time for next few hours but then the schedule would change again.  It's an 1880's railway just electrified.

Edited by plettza