Complementary Upgrade- loss of perks

michel6195

The price for our NCL cruise in May has dropped by $2,400 we called our TA to see if there was anything that could be done to soften the blow like an upgrade or OBC.  It was after final payment so we figured we had nothing to lose by asking.  The TA came back and said NCL would give us a complementary cabin upgrade but we would lose all NCL promotional perks in the process.  In our case this was a lot so we decided to pass on the upgrade.  We then receive the “bid” email from NCL and got to thinking if they can upgrade our cabin via the bid and not lose our perks why couldn’t we get the complementary upgrade.  We called NCL (twice to confirm) they said that WASN’T their policy to remove the perks we already had on a complementary upgrade- its complementary all perks stay in place they are just changing the cabin on the booking.  I have read that others received upgrades and didn’t lose perks.  It sounds like our TA is the one who’s removing our perks by creating a new listing and blaming it on NCLs policy.  Has anyone ever heard of this and if so what did you do?  We're being denied after several conversations with the TA.  They are a huge internet based cruise TA.

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I didn’t think NCL gave complimentary upgrades anymore, either you bid or just pay a higher fee.

I got a complimentary upgrade just last week from sailaway balcony to sailaway mini-suite.  They gave me a midship mini suite at no cost.  I had no perks to begin with so still no perks. 

12 minutes ago, helpwanted said:

We just called yesterday and received complimentary upgrade because higher cabin category  was less then we paid originally.  All perks remained.

Did you book directly with NCL or go though a TA?  It seems like our problem is with the TA cause NCL had no problem giving us the upgrade and keeping the perks.  

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I didn’t think NCL gave complimentary upgrades anymore, either you bid or just pay a higher fee.

We have experienced price drops twice in the last 12 months on NCL cruises AFTER final payment date, and in both cases, we received some kind of upgrade.  When our TA dropped last year, we got a SLIGHTLY better cabin, but also some OBC and chocolate covered strawberries!  This year, our Alaska cruise dropped, and they upgraded us from balcony to mini-suite.  Again, it's not huge...but we've ALWAYS found it worth calling.

As far as the OP, that's a weird situation.  I know TAs sometimes have access to different deals than the general public going on the website, and that might be why a late change screwed things up.  Just guessing.

10 hours ago, michel6195 said:

The price for our NCL cruise in May has dropped by $2,400 we called our TA to see if there was anything that could be done to soften the blow like an upgrade or OBC.  It was after final payment so we figured we had nothing to lose by asking.  The TA came back and said NCL would give us a complementary cabin upgrade but we would lose all NCL promotional perks in the process.  In our case this was a lot so we decided to pass on the upgrade.  We then receive the “bid” email from NCL and got to thinking if they can upgrade our cabin via the bid and not lose our perks why couldn’t we get the complementary upgrade.  We called NCL (twice to confirm) they said that WASN’T their policy to remove the perks we already had on a complementary upgrade- its complementary all perks stay in place they are just changing the cabin on the booking.  I have read that others received upgrades and didn’t lose perks.  It sounds like our TA is the one who’s removing our perks by creating a new listing and blaming it on NCLs policy.  Has anyone ever heard of this and if so what did you do?  We're being denied after several conversations with the TA.  They are a huge internet based cruise TA.

Is it that your TA may be removing the perks they gave you. That can happen.

I can almost guess who your TA is. We dropped them after getting burnt a couple of times. Great extra TA perks, but lousy practice. No thanks!

Edited by Arzeena

12 hours ago, michel6195 said:

Your TA booked you a stateroom that had certain restrictions associated with it and your upgrade changed the T&Cs of the original stateroom...  some TAs work with other agencies and book staterooms in a block as a "group booking" and are technically tied to that block. Once you get out of that "group booking" you loose whatever promos that "group booking" had and your upgrade is now technically a new booking and not part of the "group booking".  That's how these agencies get lower stateroom fees and can give OBC, etc but it's at a cost to you. 

The Advantage Upgrade Program is an administrative upgrade by NCL to all qualifying bookings which is why you keep the promos. It's completely different from the TA "group booking" T&Cs. 

Hope this made some sense 

Edited by esm54687

I was on the phone today with my TA after reading this post. Price drops put a sail away balcony at the same price I paid for an ocean view with perks. 

TA called NCL to request upgrade or OBC to compensate. NCL would upgrade to sail away balcony, but I would lose perks or I could upgrade from OJ to OH cabin OR keep cabin and get $100 OBC. 

Last year in the Getaway we boom through a separate cruise site. After final payment the price dropped and my agent with the cruise site called NCL with us on the phone about a possible OBC and they offered us an upgrade instead. We had one of the secret large balcony cabins so had no interest in changing to even a MIni Suite so we just let it be. We would not have lost any perks.

This year we are on the Escape and booked through Groups Dept. Prices have already dropped since final payment and I called my rep at NCL and she said they will give you ONE free upgrade to any category that is the same price we paid or less. We are waiting to see how good of an upgrade we can get. We are only $30 from getting an OV for the cost of our inside at booking.

Another option that you can do is pay the difference in cost and upgrade. There is no limit to this as long as your paying.

So this just happened to me as well.  I booked a balcony in January for a April cruise and two weeks ago the price for the mini suite was lower than what I paid for the balcony.  I called my guy at NCL and he said his supervisor said it was ok to upgrade me for free to the mini suite.  The only problem is that they pick the cabin but I was ok with that as all of the mini suites were mid ship.  I totally overpaid for this cruise but I feel a little bit better since I am now in a mini suite for a 15 day TA cruise all my myself.  And yes I did get to keep my perks so that made me feel better.

• Like 2

After reading everyone’s comments, I was able to use this and what NCL was telling us to get our TA to upgrade us without losing our perks!  I’ll probably never know why they originally would not upgrade us and keep our perks but in the end after a week long negotiation it worked out.  We went from a balcony to a large balcony mini suite on the Gateaway which helps soften the blow of the price drop a little.  Thanks everyone for your help and comments.  

Edited by michel6195

6 minutes ago, michel6195 said:

After reading everyone’s comments, I was able to use this and what NCL was telling us to get our TA to upgrade us without losing our perks!  I’ll probably never know why they originally would not upgrade us and keep our perks but in the end after a week long negotiation it worked out.  We went from a balcony to a large balcony mini suite on the Gateaway which helps soften the blow of the price drop a little.  Thanks everyone for your help and comments.  

Sounds good! Enjoy your cruise!

On 3/20/2019 at 8:52 AM, michel6195 said:

we received a complimentary upgrade from inside to balcony, i did not have perks to begin with because it was inside guarantee to a balcony guarantee..