Mini-Suite Balcony on Diamond Princess

CTOM

We're looking to book a mini-suite on the Diamond's Dolphin Deck, but several people in a different forum warned us that the balconies are exposed:  no overhang, no privacy, the people above you look right down into your balcony. 

I called Princess to inquire, and she said that ALL of the mini-suites are exposed balconies.  That is disappointing.  Can't afford a regular suite, and the mini-suite will have people above staring down on us. 

Anyone who's stayed in these mini-suites, can you please offer your opinion on the lack of a ceiling on your balcony?  Did it bother you or made no difference?   thanks!

3 minutes ago, CTOM said:

We're looking to book a mini-suite on the Diamond's Dolphin Deck, but several people in a different forum warned us that the balconies are exposed:  no overhang, no privacy, the people above you look right down into your balcony. 

I called Princess to inquire, and she said that ALL of the mini-suites are exposed balconies.  That is disappointing.  Can't afford a regular suite, and the mini-suite will have people above staring down on us. 

Anyone who's stayed in these mini-suites, can you please offer your opinion on the lack of a ceiling on your balcony?  Did it bother you or made no difference?   thanks!

Dolphin deck are all uncovered and exposed to above.

Emerald deck are all covered and very sought after!

There are only like 12 of them, 6 on each side toward the aft.

If you get one mark your booking "NO UPGRADE" so you don't get moved back to an uncovered Dolphin deck one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Emerald deck are all covered and very sought after!

Yes!   Very sought after indeed:   they're sold out already for a cruise that is 19 months away!      I can wait-list one, but she said 

Edited by CTOM

47 minutes ago, CTOM said:

While they may be uncovered, people will not be staring down at you. To see your balcony from deck 10 you have to literally walk to the railing and look down. Few if any are really standing at the railing unless they are coming into or leaving port. From decks 11, 12 & 14 the sight lines are just not there. The extra space of the mini suite far far outweighs a little bit of cover. Also, I think you said on another posting you plan to sail from Japan in December when temperatures may not be warm enough to lounge on a balcony.

Edited by skynight

You can book a mini on the Dolphin Deck then keep an eye out for a cancellation on the Emerald Deck.  Many book then cancel when the cruise gets closer.  Especially when they run the $1 deposit.  

On our last cruise several opened up a couple of months before final payment.  Princess offered a lot of the mini’s a upsell to the club class  and to a suite.  Quite a few took advantage of that also which opened up the Emerald minis.

5 minutes ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

I don’t understand.  We loved the open balcony on the Ruby (same configuration).  The Dolphin Deck Balcony’s are huge.  We said hello to the people and made present conversation with them.  We’d do it again a heart beat.  

Interesting.   We are new to cruises, but one of the fascinating things I learned already from this site is how many different opinions and preferences people have.  There's no right or wrong, just preferences that we all have.

For us, we just don't feel comfortable with people hovering over us watching.  Or even just the possibility of it.  No, we don't do anything crazy on a balcony.  But just enjoying a morning coffee, knowing there may be an audience peering down--it doesn't sound private or relaxing at all.

Skynight mentioned above how someone would have to go to the rail to see us.  I understand that.

We were on a HAL cruise, and the stern suite balconies could all be seen from the top deck.   We strolled out to the rail often and looked down.  Not to spy on anyone, but just to check out the numerous configurations and sizes of balconies.   We kept saying how there is no privacy, and why would anyone want to use a balcony where the whole ship can watch you?   Again, it's all preferences.

The mini-suites do look nice, and we'll probably end up booking one, open balcony and all.  Just not ideal for our taste.

8 hours ago, CTOM said:

Interesting.   We are new to cruises, but one of the fascinating things I learned already from this site is how many different opinions and preferences people have.  There's no right or wrong, just preferences that we all have.

For us, we just don't feel comfortable with people hovering over us watching.  Or even just the possibility of it.  No, we don't do anything crazy on a balcony.  But just enjoying a morning coffee, knowing there may be an audience peering down--it doesn't sound private or relaxing at all.

To have morning coffee in your cabin you have to order from room service or go pick it up and carry it back to the cabin. There is no charge for room service, but a cash tip is normal on delivery. Many times it is too cool to sit on the balcony in the morning and the chairs and tables may be wet from the overnight dew. In a mini suite you have the option of sitting inside on the sofa by the full wall balcony glass door. It's very difficult to do this in a balcony cat. cabin. You have to sit on a desk chair and maybe a barrel chair. It has been reported that Princess is in the process of removing the barrel chairs from balcony cabins leaving only one chair. I don't know the status of the Diamond Princess.

Again no one is peering down at you. I have been in cabins on deck 10. You can not see the deck 9 balconies from your chairs. From the railing you only can see the outer portion. To see the area closer to the cabin you really have to lean out over the railing and look straight down. No one really does this.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

To have morning coffee in your cabin you have to order from room service or go pick it up and carry it back to the cabin. There is no charge for room service, but a cash tip is normal on delivery.

Absolutely not, the auto gratuity took care of this so people don't even have to think about tipping individually anymore. 

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

That's okay but to direct others to do it without letting them know that room service is covered in the auto daily gratuity is misleading, and not normal.

it's 'normal' for us ... your normal must be different from my 'normal' ...

$ 2 "normally" for room service

19 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Absolutely not, the auto gratuity took care of this so people don't even have to think about tipping individually anymore. 

It is a normal practice for many to cash tip for room service delivery. Of course, it's you choice. We always do. Not tipping is not absolute. It's the same  for cabin stewards and waiters. Even though they are in the auto-tip pool extra cash tips are common.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes normal.  

Sorry to cause a debate!   One of the first things I learned about cruises is that the automatic tipping threads are very heated and passionate, and people have lots of views on it.

• Haha 1

We too have a mini suite booked (the balcony cabins were all booked out).  We are on guarantee so I doubt we'll get the covered mini suites.  I'm hating the idea of an uncovered balcony because we spend a lot of time out on the balcony chatting, drinking and generally relaxing.  We often sit in bathing suite or night attire so I'd feel very uncomfortable doing this on Princess.  It's not just the open balcony ie, people seeing from above, it's the lack of privacy when talking.  In a closed balcony your neighbours might hear you but those above wouldn't.  We will just make the most of it though and thankfully we have port intensive days so it won't be such an issues I hope.

2 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

We too have a mini suite booked (the balcony cabins were all booked out).  We are on guarantee so I doubt we'll get the covered mini suites.  I'm hating the idea of an uncovered balcony because we spend a lot of time out on the balcony chatting, drinking and generally relaxing.  We often sit in bathing suite or night attire so I'd feel very uncomfortable doing this on Princess.  It's not just the open balcony ie, people seeing from above, it's the lack of privacy when talking.  In a closed balcony your neighbours might hear you but those above wouldn't.  We will just make the most of it though and thankfully we have port intensive days so it won't be such an issues I hope.

Actually you are completely wrong about the nature of sound.  Your neighbors will hear more of your conversation in a closed balcony because the sound will reflect off the ceiling and bounce into your next door and below balconys.  Open balcony allow more of the sound waves to ‘escape’ to the open air and dissipate with distance.  Sound propagation is a very interesting science.  

• Haha 1

Just now, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

Actually you are completely wrong about the nature of sound.  Your neighbors will hear more of your conversation in a closed balcony because the sound will reflect off the ceiling and bounce into your next door and below balconys.  Open balcony allow more of the sound waves to ‘escape’ to the open air and dissipate with distance.  Sound propagation is a very interesting science.  

Well that's good to hear!  Thanks.  I'm sure we will be fine and as has been said, most people aren't standing at the railing often.  

5 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Well that's good to hear!  Thanks.  I'm sure we will be fine and as has been said, most people aren't standing at the railing often.  

So apparently not one person on this board will admit that when they're overlooking their balcony, that their eyes never wander or look around at other guests?   ☺️

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CTOM said:

So apparently not one person on this board will admit that when they're overlooking their balcony, that their eyes never wander or look around at other guests?   ☺️

well ... one time standing on the balcony, looking over the railing, to the left , one floor down ... don't remember all the details ... as it was only a quick glance of 3 minutes or so ...:classic_ninja:

Edited by voljeep

Just now, voljeep said:

well ... one time standing on the balcony, looking over the railing, to the left , one floor down ... don't remember all the details ... as it was only a quick glance of 3 minutes or so ...

Our HAL balcony overlooked the promenade deck, and it was both calming and sometimes entertaining to watch folks stroll by on their morning and evening walks.  Can only look at the sea itself for so long.

9 minutes ago, CTOM said:

Our HAL balcony overlooked the promenade deck, and it was both calming and sometimes entertaining to watch folks stroll by on their morning and evening walks.  Can only look at the sea itself for so long.

while I'm sure that was entertaining ( on a public promenade deck ) ... I'm sure my experience was maybe more ENTERTAINING ... on what was possibly perceived as private balcony ... or not ... hmmmmmmmmmm

OK folks, look at this picture.  This was taken by a passenger from the open deck over the bridge.  You can see into and on to all most every balcony on the ship.  A similar view can be had from Skywalkers on Grand and Crown Class ships, and the Skywalk on Royal Class ships.  Do not assume you have any privacy on your balcony.  You don’t.   

6E1B9A08-86A5-4736-849D-16744E21D206.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your picture is worth a thousands words, thanks.   

Besides the privacy issue, here is another concern we saw on someone else's review:   

Diamond Princess decks 9 (DOLPHIN)  & 10 have little to no protection from sun or rain, as I discovered on my cruise, where my Mini-Suite Deck 9 balcony was rendered useless 90% of the time!