After Cruise Surveys

boltnut55

I used to answer survey’s honestly. And since no one is perfection and I very few 10s. I have since heard enough people from enough companies tell me that they need 10s and anything less is considered a negative. I don’t wish to cost anyone a promotion or bonus. So if service was good to great I do the survey and give 10s. If the service wasn’t good/great I don’t do the survey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whogo said:

I do not waste my cruise time filling out surveys onboard. Holland America's newer post-cruise email surveys are so involved and take so long to complete that I do not do them either. I take a very dim view of any crew member who would ask for a ten or of any cruise line that would allow staff to ask for tens. 

We did the HAL post cruise survey, it took no more than 5 minutes for each of us.

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Which one; we may have dined there? There is one we often went to on our wedding anniversary for the reasons that we could dine outside on the deck and the owner/chef was a former high school classmate of mine. Unfortunately soon after selling the restaurant and moving to Florida, he passed away.

I am having a senior moment and cannot recall the name .The owner/chef was Ina. Friends of ours who have a residence in Monticello used to go there once a week.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am having a senior moment and cannot recall the name .The owner/chef was Ina. Friends of ours who have a residence in Monticello used to go there once a week.

I can understand senior moment as DW just officially became a senior citizen last weekend, and I am older than her. If you think of the name, you could still post it. I find the best way to recall something that I cannot come up with is to just not think about it, and let it pop into my head.

I tried to google restaurants in White Lake to give you a link to look at, but the links don't seem to really be current and also have more restaurants listed that are in Kauneonga Lake than White Lake.

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I can understand senior moment as DW just officially became a senior citizen last weekend, and I am older than her. If you think of the name, you could still post it. I find the best way to recall something that I cannot come up with is to just not think about it, and let it pop into my head.

I tried to google restaurants in White Lake to give you a link to look at, but the links don't seem to really be current and also have more restaurants listed that are in Kauneonga Lake than White Lake.

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I have a daughter who lives in the area.I will call her tomorrow.

I answer all the questions directly relating to a waiter, steward or other crew member with 10s, if they’ve done a really good job.  And I name the outstanding people in the box of free text for that purpose.  Celebrity also has a box for “sharing my story”, and I use that for anything else I want to talk about, good or bad.  They’ve never felt the urge to share any of my stories (most recently some feedback about high pressure sales tactics for the speciality restaurants),😁 but I hope they at least read them.

I know that the reason they don’t give us space for other remarks is that they don’t want to hear them.  The survey is mostly an exercise in patting themselves on the back (look how well we’re doing - all 10s!  Everyone must be happy with everything!), and a brief opportunity to commend a few people.  Not leaving enough room to hear what customers really think is very short-sighted, in my opinion.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, bonsai3s said:

Note:  This is simply a fun suggestion (if you happen to be doing a B2B sailing) to test if your survey was read.  Here's what we've done: We complete the survey after the first cruise.  We have discovered that those crew members that we had singled out as outstanding during the first sailing....make their way to us and silently thank us (once they find out we are still onboard).  ☺️

Wow, that means they are read very quickly in fact!  That's actually good to know.

I rated my experience in the shops a zero because of something that happened (service oriented situation where the another sales clerk wouldn't help some of us because we had casually spoken to her co-worker, but her co-worker that we were now forced to wait for was helping someone else who took a long time... while she helped someone who came way after us)… so I'm seeing if someone will contact me (highly doubtful).

On 4/5/2019 at 3:35 AM, boltnut55 said:

I rated my experience in the shops a zero because of something that happened (service oriented situation where the another sales clerk wouldn't help some of us because we had casually spoken to her co-worker, but her co-worker that we were now forced to wait for was helping someone else who took a long time... while she helped someone who came way after us)… so I'm seeing if someone will contact me (highly doubtful).

Just so you are aware, the shops on board (other than perhaps the ship gift store) are third party owned and contracted separately by the cruise line. Their employees are not cruise line staff.  That being said, since there are questions relating to them on the survey, they would be passed on to the individual company's that own the stores for their review.  Certainly enough negative comments could impact their future contract discussions with the cruise line.  But I would think if you do hear back from anyone it will be from the retailer, or if it is from the cruise line it would be on their behalf.  Clearly, however, any negative experience with these contractors does impact on the overall image of the cruise line.

This also holds true for the spa services, art dealers, and ship's photographers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

On our last cruise (just off Sunday), our room steward never mentioned the survey.

When our waiter started talking about it I thought "here we go" because I don't usually give a 10 for someone asking for it no matter how good they were. But he never asked for a 10 directly for himself but for his team. When I do get the online survey they will all get a 10.

To be honest, it's been a few years since I've heard the speech "Anything less than a 10 means failure."  It took me almost 30 years to accumulate my first five cruises.  In each of them the CD would give a disembarkation procedures speech in one of the common areas.  I attended  these presentations religiously--I really did not want to mess up disembarkation.  At the end of this presentation would, inevitably, come the "You're going to receive a survey, and anything less than a 10 [or 6 or whatever] means failure" speech.  

I have not attended a disembarkation presentation since 2004.

What I do now hear, regularly, is individuals making a pitch for a "shout out" either in the on-line survey or in a comment card passed in to the Guest Services Desk.  Generally, I'm OK with these appeals.  I have filled out the cards for individuals, but, more often than not, I add these comments on the post-cruise survey.

I do have to tell one story from a couple years ago.  After a wine tasting event, the facilitator wrapped up with something like, "I hope you enjoyed this event.  If so, my name is Antonio, and I hope you remember me."  [Insert wink, wink here.]  "If you didn't enjoy it, my name is Janos."

🤣

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I forgot to ask .She will be in my house tomorrow and I will ask her.

I forgot to ask .She will be in my house tomorrow and I will ask her.

Another senior moment? LOL

I was told by staff on a Celebrity cruise that the gratuity share is influenced by the survey scores.  A "10" would result in a bigger share of the tips.   Makes sense but I can't confirm it is true.   

If the survey comes up, I like to say that I will gladly give a 10 if I'm treated like a 10.  

All of this aside, I have to admit that most of the time the staff is really very good at keeping us happy.   

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

But, it was still fun going back and forth about it.

BTW, was this the daughter that you mentioned in another thread was a vegetarian?

She still is a vegetarian. Are you familiar with the Hidden Ranch development in 

Monticello ? We know some people who have homes there.

She still is a vegetarian. Are you familiar with the Hidden Ranch development in 

Monticello ? We know some people who have homes there.

No, but are you sure it is Hidden Ranch, not Hidden Ridge? (But the answer is still no.)

I usually give the crew generous ratings, unless there is a significant problem and I deal with it while on board.  I use the comment part of the questionnaire to give feedback to the cruise line on areas needing improvement that the crew does not really have control over...\

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No, but are you sure it is Hidden Ranch, not Hidden Ridge? (But the answer is still no.)

Hidden Ridge,sorry.

Your area is going to be very crowded in mid august celebrating the 50th.anniversary of the Woodstock festival.A friend of mine and his band are playing on day 3 at Bethel Woods.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Hidden Ridge,sorry.

Your area is going to be very crowded in mid august celebrating the 50th.anniversary of the Woodstock festival.A friend of mine and his band are playing on day 3 at Bethel Woods.

Yes, we are going to be crowded. Our son (he is the head of parking at Bethel Woods) is going to be very busy.

It's interesting how much business and development in that area of our county is because of Bethel Woods especially because for years the locals did everything they could to hinder anything ever happening there again. It only became possible when the county billionaire (he invented cable television and eventually sold his company to Cablevision) bought the property. All of a sudden the laws the county passed about mass gatherings changed and there was only cooperation.

The third night I believe is Santana and the Doobie Brothers. I have seen Santana 3 times there, the original Woodstock festival and the 2 times Carlos Santana came back to play there. (The first time Steve Winwood opened for Santana and the second time just the Santana Band played. They always put on a great show. The Doobies have been there in the past, but never with someone I really wanted to see, and I did not attend those shows. I'm looking forward to this show.

Yes, we are going to be crowded. Our son (he is the head of parking at Bethel Woods) is going to be very busy.

It's interesting how much business and development in that area of our county is because of Bethel Woods especially because for years the locals did everything they could to hinder anything ever happening there again. It only became possible when the county billionaire (he invented cable television and eventually sold his company to Cablevision) bought the property. All of a sudden the laws the county passed about mass gatherings changed and there was only cooperation.

The third night I believe is Santana and the Doobie Brothers. I have seen Santana 3 times there, the original Woodstock festival and the 2 times Carlos Santana came back to play there. (The first time Steve Winwood opened for Santana and the second time just the Santana Band played. They always put on a great show. The Doobies have been there in the past, but never with someone I really wanted to see, and I did not attend those shows. I'm looking forward to this show.

My friends band Retro69 will be on stage 11AM followed by Arlo Guthrie. Ringo Starr is also playing that day. The lead female singer of Retro sounds like a cross between Grace Slick and Janis Joplin. Check them out on You . Tube .They are really great,in my opinion.

I hope to be able to get to day 3 .I plan to be at my daughter and son in laws home for the week.

I did not go to the 1969 concert because I knew one of the organizers and I never expected it to be as great as it was,big mistake on my part.

I went to Hippie Fest in 2005 and saw a lot of the groups from the 1969 concert.