sushi making class

10 minutes ago, simplyjustnoel said:

Is there any way to indicate to the staff that you don't eat fish but still do this class with vegetable rolls?

Yes, they normally ask at the beginning of the class if there are any dietary restrictions.

On 4/3/2019 at 4:41 PM, simplyjustnoel said:

Is there any way to indicate to the staff that you don't eat fish but still do this class with vegetable rolls?

The plates with ingredients are on the table when you arrive, so would ask in advance if they can provide extra veggies or just not us just the crab/shrimp provided.  I'm sure someone else would love to add it to theirs.

On 4/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, BNBR said:

Done it on Oasis and enjoyed it.  It was $20 when we did it but I'd pay $30.  As others have said, you get about that much in food.  So if you would be willing to pay $60 for sushi for the two of you, the class is practically free.  We had so much extra sushi, we brought it back and put it in the fridge in our room to enjoy later.

Things have changed a LOT on Oasis sushi class.  It is now over 30 bucks a person, you have to share rolling pads, they did not serve water until after we ate, shorted everyone on sushi ingredients (had to keep asking for everything) no place mats or normal table settings, not allowed to take your left overs with you, and no sushi "diplomas".   Never again on that ship for us.  

Edited by island lady

On 4/5/2019 at 3:09 PM, mek said:

The plates with ingredients are on the table when you arrive, so would ask in advance if they can provide extra veggies or just not us just the crab/shrimp provided.  I'm sure someone else would love to add it to theirs.

Since my husband doesn't eat raw fish, we asked in advance, and they provided some seared tuna for him. This was not really a help, but they tried. I had requested cooked egg, but they said no. He just ended up using more veggies for some, and others in our group ate the ones of his he didn't eat.

I like the idea mentioned earlier in this thread to have one or two extra people come in after the class is over to help finish off the sushi in Izumi, since they will not let you pack it up to go.

16 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Since my husband doesn't eat raw fish, we asked in advance, and they provided some seared tuna for him. This was not really a help, but they tried. I had requested cooked egg, but they said no. He just ended up using more veggies for some, and others in our group ate the ones of his he didn't eat.

I like the idea mentioned earlier in this thread to have one or two extra people come in after the class is over to help finish off the sushi in Izumi, since they will not let you pack it up to go.

The last few sushi classes we went to did not have any raw fish.  It was cooked shrimp, veggies, some sort of cooked tuna fish with spices, and the "krab"...(cooked processed fish that is shaped and made to taste like crab).  

Loving all the feedback on this on board activity. I have been interested in this class because I LOVE sushi, but wasn't sure if the price point would make it worth it. Sounds like it pays for itself and then some and basically you get a delish specialty meal out of it too!

Thought on how the experience would be as a solo participant? Looks like a lot of people have gone in pairs or group. I'm the only one who likes sushi going on my cruise, so I'm wondering if it would be boring alone.

26 minutes ago, June_B said:

Loving all the feedback on this on board activity. I have been interested in this class because I LOVE sushi, but wasn't sure if the price point would make it worth it. Sounds like it pays for itself and then some and basically you get a delish specialty meal out of it too!

Thought on how the experience would be as a solo participant? Looks like a lot of people have gone in pairs or group. I'm the only one who likes sushi going on my cruise, so I'm wondering if it would be boring alone.

Gosh no...it's a great venue to go to as a solo.  You will enjoy the company of the other participants, have fun, learn a new thing, and have lunch together!  Go...enjoy!!  🙂 

• Thanks 1

I just did this on the 3/15 Anthem sailing (and I sail solo).  I had a good time (although my tablemates were not exactly outgoing unless with each other).  Still, I enjoyed the experience (and the sushi) enough that I will do it again if I get the chance on Allure or next year on Anthem.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Frick_&_Frack said:

I just did this on the 3/15 Anthem sailing (and I sail solo).  I had a good time (although my tablemates were not exactly outgoing unless with each other).  Still, I enjoyed the experience (and the sushi) enough that I will do it again if I get the chance on Allure or next year on Anthem.  

I'mon Anthem this Saturday. Will they let us just use the cooked seafood? 

My husband and I would love to do this on our next cruise!  Is this something available to book ahead in the Cruise Planner?  I don't recall seeing it for our sailing last month on Oasis.

3 minutes ago, kag19 said:

My husband and I would love to do this on our next cruise!  Is this something available to book ahead in the Cruise Planner?  I don't recall seeing it for our sailing last month on Oasis.

It was in my cruise planner for our cruise on the Navigator a few weeks ago.  I'm guessing it depends on the ship though.

Dan

43 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

It was in my cruise planner for our cruise on the Navigator a few weeks ago.  I'm guessing it depends on the ship though.

Dan

Thanks!  I will keep an eye out for it on our upcoming sailing on Allure!

1 hour ago, kag19 said:

I have never seen where you can book it in advance of the cruise, but do look for it in the cruise planner during the week.  All the ships I have been on offer it on sea days, and usually an hour or so before Izumi opens for lunch.  

Once on board I have gone to the podium at Izumi and asked if there was a sushi class scheduled...they will have that information and can sign you up that way.  I think I remember Izumi being on deck 4 on Oasis.  Though IMHO this last sushi class on Oasis was not the same, and we won't be back to it.  Not run very well as in the past, or as on other ships.  

Edited by island lady

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

I have never seen where you can book it in advance of the cruise, but do look for it in the cruise planner during the week.  All the ships I have been on offer it on sea days, and usually an hour or so before Izumi opens for lunch.  

Once on board I have gone to the podium at Izumi and asked if there was a sushi class scheduled...they will have that information and can sign you up that way.  I think I remember Izumi being on deck 4 on Oasis.  Though IMHO this last sushi class on Oasis was not the same, and we won't be back to it.  Not run very well as in the past, or as on other ships.  

Thanks for the tip! I will look in the cruise planner and if it isn’t there I will go to Izumi and ask when we get on board. 

6 hours ago, TanaQ said:

I'mon Anthem this Saturday. Will they let us just use the cooked seafood? 

I would think you could skip the tuna (or let them know ahead you only can used cooked seafood).  I just did the "regular set up", so I didn't inquire about about any changes.

20 hours ago, June_B said:

I went by myself and had a great time.  I chatted with the people near me - no problem.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Frick_&_Frack said:

I would think you could skip the tuna (or let them know ahead you only can used cooked seafood).  I just did the "regular set up", so I didn't inquire about about any changes.

I'm bummed because right after I posted I went to book and it's no longer in the cruise planner.  I'll keep checking to see if someone cancels or maybe onboard I can book.

1 hour ago, TanaQ said:

I'm bummed because right after I posted I went to book and it's no longer in the cruise planner.  I'll keep checking to see if someone cancels or maybe onboard I can book.

Just go to Izumi when  you are onboard.  I'm pretty sure there will be spots available (I know there were 2 or 3 who just showed up the day of the class I was in and they were let in as Izumi had set up for "X" people).  I'd just go earlier in the cruise rather than later.  Hope you get to do it and have fun!  Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

So, would it look weird if I signed by 13 year old up but went with him and didn't participate?  I am not really interested but I know he would enjoy it.  I know he wouldn't go into the class alone and I'm not really into spending $60 for both of us.