Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

The $0.25 estimate from Royal Caribbean is significantly more than the analysis were forecasting a month ago.

I don't think USB forecast considered all the damage that was hidden by the crane.

Edited by mauraoel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

The $0.25 estimate from Royal Caribbean is significantly more than the analysis were forecasting a month ago.

IMO, pure gamesmanship on RCL's part. Overestimate the loss on the next quarter's earnings, with a damage and revenue loss assessment that indicates a less significant loss, and you beat your forecast in the next quarter.

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

IMO, pure gamesmanship on RCL's part. Overestimate the loss on the next quarter's earnings, with a damage and revenue loss assessment that indicates a less significant loss, and you beat your forecast in the next quarter.

If you double the UBS estimate from two weeks of downtime to four weeks, the company's estimate is in the "worst case" ballpark.

38 minutes ago, Pratique said:

If you double the UBS estimate from two weeks of downtime to four weeks, the company's estimate is in the "worst case" ballpark.

When given the opportunity, public companies will always err in a "worst case" direction. One of the fundamental flaws in the quarterly reporting mentality.

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

When given the opportunity, public companies will always err in a "worst case" direction. One of the fundamental flaws in the quarterly reporting mentality.

I'm curious why you think this is a fundamental flaw. If investors know about this practice (and I presume they do, it's no secret), then won't they account for it in their risk assessment? The analysts at UBS erred toward worst case too (for two weeks), and made a point of it in their report, so investors should be aware of it and able to make an informed decision.

29 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I'm curious why you think this is a fundamental flaw. If investors know about this practice (and I presume they do, it's no secret), then won't they account for it in their risk assessment? The analysts at UBS erred toward worst case too (for two weeks), and made a point of it in their report, so investors should be aware of it and able to make an informed decision.

Quarterly reporting breeds a short-term mentality in the corporate suite. IMO, companies that focus too much on short term tactical results often lose sight of long term strategic impacts of their decisions. The fundamental flaw is that tactics should never trump strategy, and being a slave to a market that is by definition fed by short term results will ultimately lead to long term under performance and sub optimization of stakeholder value.

9 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Quarterly reporting breeds a short-term mentality in the corporate suite. IMO, companies that focus too much on short term tactical results often lose sight of long term strategic impacts of their decisions. The fundamental flaw is that tactics should never trump strategy, and being a slave to a market that is by definition fed by short term results will ultimately lead to long term under performance and sub optimization of stakeholder value.

I see what you’re saying now. In this case, it’s a one time effect caused by an unusual situation that is probably immaterial on the long term performance, so I didn’t see where you were coming from.

1 hour ago, above sea level cruiser said:

Me too. Any idea when this picture was taken?

There were multiple crew photos posted today from inside the dry dock, so I see no reason to think they weren't all taken today. 

10 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

There were multiple crew photos posted today from inside the dry dock, so I see no reason to think they weren't all taken today. 

Probably good to add that those same crew have also been sharing that this is their last night in Cádiz,  meaning that they’ll probably leave the dry dock tomorrow. This would be in alignment with the last “official”/not speculative (😱) statement from RC.

• Like 1