Can you use one Medallion for two different cabin doors?

daydream1

Tried the search, but could not find a good answer:

We will be next year on the Royal Princess, 4 people, one inside and one balcony (just across the hall from each other). Me and my Mom are booked in one cabin, Hubby and the Kid in the other. Now, we will be three in one cabin, and my mom by herself, done that a few times by now. Our travel agent even checked with Princess, since we need a third bed in the cabin, and they assured them that the inside has the third bed and all was fine, we could sleep whatever way we wanted.

Now the question: Can those new medallions be programmed to open more than one cabin door? I had one cruise line where it was no problem to programm the key card to a second door, and another where I always had to carry two key cards. It will be our first cruise on Princess.

This is a good question; and I would think it may be possible.  The medallion has a chip in it; so the question would be will the chip allow two rooms to be programmed.  Hmmm.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

This is a good question; and I would think it may be possible.  The medallion has a chip in it; so the question would be will the chip allow two rooms to be programmed.  Hmmm.

Technically it will be possible, since the staff also seems to have the chips to access (many many) rooms. I should rephrase: Will Princess programm them that way if I ask them to. I hated on NCL that we always had two room cards, but there we had a connecting door and just left that open in the end, so it did not matter. This time we do not have that luxury.

Just a guess, but I suspect you will need two separate methods. Either two Medallions, two cruise cards, or one of each.

One of each might be the easiest since you could associate in your mind which one to use for each cabin.

16 hours ago, roxievegas said:

Yes, Yes, Yes

we had two cabins, one interior and one balcony for our family of six.  I had my medallion linked to both cabins.  Go to guest services and they will handle it.

Sounds great,  I appreciate when people respond with facts and "life experience" rather than speculation.  lt's amusing on CC  when a simple question is asked and the speculation runs wild....

Also love it when I am just off a ship and relay my experience and posters tell me I am incorrect....that is CC for you....

Edited by land lover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2019 at 6:00 AM, daydream1 said:

Tried the search, but could not find a good answer:

We will be next year on the Royal Princess, 4 people, one inside and one balcony (just across the hall from each other). Me and my Mom are booked in one cabin, Hubby and the Kid in the other. Now, we will be three in one cabin, and my mom by herself, done that a few times by now. Our travel agent even checked with Princess, since we need a third bed in the cabin, and they assured them that the inside has the third bed and all was fine, we could sleep whatever way we wanted.

Now the question: Can those new medallions be programmed to open more than one cabin door? I had one cruise line where it was no problem to programm the key card to a second door, and another where I always had to carry two key cards. It will be our first cruise on Princess.

Depends entirely on the software/computer programme that was written to open the door.  My guess is yes since the room stewards need the ability to open more than one cabin door.  The chip on the Medallion has a unique code that identifies it to the networked computer which is where the data on which door(s) it is allowed to open is stored.  The Medallion does not actually open the door, the computer programme actually commands this action.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
Fix

1 hour ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Depends entirely on the software/computer programme that was written to open the door.  My guess is yes since the room stewards need the ability to open more than one cabin door.  The chip on the Medallion has a unique code that identifies it to the networked computer which is where the data on which door(s) it is allowed to open is stored.  The Medallion does not actually open the door, the computer programme actually commands this action.

So if that computer is offline, does that mean nobody can get into their cabins?

13 minutes ago, caribill said:

So if that computer is offline, does that mean nobody can get into their cabins?

I would hope they have redundancy in their computer network.  It is very easy to have two computers communicate with the same database.  We were doing this over 20 years ago.  

Apparently the OM software does allow two cabins to be accessed by the same individual OM.  It is strictly a software issue and very easy to do.  I would hope that cabin stewards are capable of only opening cabins that have been assigned to them.  

On 4/12/2019 at 12:32 AM, roxievegas said:

Yes, Yes, Yes

we had two cabins, one interior and one balcony for our family of six.  I had my medallion linked to both cabins.  Go to guest services and they will handle it.

Roxievegas, thank you! I was sure its possible technically but knowing that is was done before makes it easier asking for it. Plus its so much easier just carrying one card/medallion around.

I do want to mention that I was tied to both cabins because the credit card for both cabins was mine.  If you have two different cabins with two different credit cards, you should take both parties to guest services to have them do the link so they just don't link your medallion to anyone's cabin.  

My medallion would open the other door, but my name or picture did not appear on the panel out front.  If I was alone in the one cabin - the room steward would not know that I was in there.  Same with my son - he was linked to one room, but was staying in the other room and he would not show in the door panel. - not a big deal, but that is how the system works.

You can walk down the hall and look at the panels by the door and see you is assigned in that room and see if they are in the room.  

8 hours ago, roxievegas said:

. . . You can walk down the hall and look at the panels by the door and see you is assigned in that room and see if they are in the room.  

Wow, that's a little more information than I'm comfortable with.  I don't think I need random people to know whether I'm in my cabin or not.  Is this actually true, that the screen displays you as being in or out? 

all parties assigned to the room is listed.  when you are in the room a symbol is next to your name.  I never looked close at the symbol to see what it was, but I think it was a medallion.  I thought it was giving out too much info also. 

I'm curious to know whether or not you can control who sees your medallion experience (whether you're in your cabin, tracking you across the ship, etc.) if you simply covered the medallion as you need to (and then remove them as needed) with a few layers of aluminum foil to block any RFID chips.

Works for my Global Entry card and the cards in my wallet.  Wondering if there's any technology it might block to help make Medallion a little less Orwellian Big Brother for those who like their privacy. 

Edited by musicpro442

2 minutes ago, musicpro442 said:

I'm curious to know whether or not you can control who sees your medallion experience (whether you're in your cabin, tracking you across the ship, etc.)

a) Passengers that you have given permission to do so (see where you are).

b) Ship security.