Question about Embarkation & Access to Cabin

GoHoward

Hi all - my family and I are sailing on Celebrity for the first time this June, on the Summit out of Bayonne, after several cruises on HAL.

I have a question about embarkation - from previous posts, I understand that boarding starts at approximately 11 AM, and that cabins are not cleaned and ready until an announcement is made at about 1 PM.  Are passengers able to access their cabins in order to stow roll-on luggage prior to the "all ready" announcement, or should we plan on not being able to access the cabin at all until early afternoon?  And if we have a balcony cabin, may we sit out on the balcony while stewards are preparing the cabin?

My wife values finding quiet spots on the ship, and is not a fan of crowded sea day buffets and public areas -- we would ideally like to get our luggage stashed and maybe enjoy the view from our balcony when we first board. Thanks in advance for your insight into how Celebrity handles embarkation day!

I am also sailing Summit in June.  Celebrity has just started letting folks go to their cabin and drop hand luggage when first embarking the ship.  Rooms are usually ready for occupancy around 1 pm.  I think they would "frown upon" you staying out on your balcony while the cabin steward is preparing the cabin.  Your wife will find many "quiet" spots to sit on embarkation day.  Most folks head up to Deck 10 to the pool area or the buffet area, so that deck is "busy".  The indoor lounges are pretty quiet (i.e., empty) on embarkation day.  Cellar Masters on Deck 5 would be the perfect spot to sit and relax for a few hours on embarkation day.  Or even Rendezvous Lounge on Deck 4 would be good - except people board the ship on Deck 4 so there may be more "foot traffic" in Rendezvous Lounge that there is in Cellar Masters.  If you enjoy sushi you can eat lunch (for a fee) at Sushi on 5 - which is directly across from Cellar Masters and usually pretty quiet on embarkation day.

2 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I am also sailing Summit in June.  Celebrity has just started letting folks go to their cabin and drop hand luggage when first embarking the ship.  Rooms are usually ready for occupancy around 1 pm.  I think they would "frown upon" you staying out on your balcony while the cabin steward is preparing the cabin.  Your wife will find many "quiet" spots to sit on embarkation day.  Most folks head up to Deck 10 to the pool area or the buffet area, so that deck is "busy".  The indoor lounges are pretty quiet (i.e., empty) on embarkation day.  Cellar Masters on Deck 5 would be the perfect spot to sit and relax for a few hours on embarkation day.  Or even Rendezvous Lounge on Deck 4 would be good - except people board the ship on Deck 4 so there may be more "foot traffic" in Rendezvous Lounge that there is in Cellar Masters.  If you enjoy sushi you can eat lunch (for a fee) at Sushi on 5 - which is directly across from Cellar Masters and usually pretty quiet on embarkation day.

My apologies to the OP - this is the first I have heard of this change in policy - is it now fleetwide?

5 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

My apologies to the OP - this is the first I have heard of this change in policy - is it now fleetwide?

I don't know if it is fleetwide.  We were allowed to go to our cabins on Edge in January.  And according to the Celebrity app that I've downloaded on my phone, it is indicated we can store our hand-luggage in our cabin on embarkation day for my June Summit sailing.  The app states "Your stateroom will be ready at 1:00 but please feel free to drop your bags in your room so you can enjoy the ship carefree while your Stateroom Attendant finished up your room."

Plus, I did see a picture that someone took onboard Summit on embarkation day with the "door sign" saying the room was in the process of being made up.  It was the same sign that was on our cabin door on the Edge in January.

Edited by jcpc

I've been on the Summit quite a few times and the cabins have been available closer to 1:30 than 1.

Unless you have an in with the crew I would highly recommend you do not use your balcony until the all clear is given.

Again in January we could not drop off our hand luggage prior the cabin available announcement.

One of the most comfortable and quiet locations is the library. I should say was because I don't know what they have done to it during the recent dry dock.

If you want to sit outside, and if they are still there they do have tables and chairs and chaises behind the Mast Bar and between the funnel on 11. 

By 12:30 till the all clear most public areas on the ship do tend to fill up.

Edge is different than other Celebrity ships in that access to the room is given immediately on boarding. The new summit may be the same when you get there, but I wouldn’t count on it. Advice about going to Cellar Masters or the solarium would be my best bet

Sushi on 5 is a pay per item venue and it does offer several dishes that are not sushi. You do not need to order a ‘big/full’ meal.

Even if you can’t drop off your luggage in your room you could take it with you to sushi, order a light lunchtime meal to enjoy with a drink then head for your room at the appropriate time.

When you think of the overall cost of a cruise paying a small amount for the pleasure of a sit down civilised lunch on boarding seems worth it....

You say you are in a balcony room...If that balcony room is at concierge class level there is a meal available in the MDR. If you are not at present it may be worth while monitoring prices over the next week or two as this perk would have some value/meaning for you.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

We got the same message for our upcoming Summit cruise-especially since you have to go to your cabin to get your seapass.  This is apparently part of the edgification—you have to submit a photo for pre-cruise registration which will be your seapass photo.  The fire doors aren’t locked anyway—simply click and slide.  We learned this on our first b2b.

I agree that the fire doors wouldn't be locked.  But I would take a closed fire door to mean I wasn't supposed to open it.  On Edge or other ships where Celebrity seems to now be allowing access to the cabin before it is ready then I assume the fire doors would be open.

• Like 1

Thanks all - really appreciate the input and advice.  We will plan out our carry on / portered on luggage with the assumption that our carry ons will be with us until the rooms are ready, and if we can stash them in the cabin before heading to lunch, so much the better!

12 hours ago, GoHoward said:

Thanks all - really appreciate the input and advice.  We will plan out our carry on / portered on luggage with the assumption that our carry ons will be with us until the rooms are ready, and if we can stash them in the cabin before heading to lunch, so much the better!

I just got off the Summit on April 6th and we indeed were allowed to drop our carry-on luggage in our cabin prior to having the  Concierge luncheon.  

• Like 1