Montreal is out for awhile

DocJohnB

3 hours ago, Level six said:

True, this was my first HA cruise, but have sailed with other cruise lines over 35 times. I have been on several cruises where we had to dock over night due to some kind of weather or mechanical problem, (one time in Singapore for 3 nights on NCL, once on Princess in Hamburg because  of the Elbe river flow, one night in Yokohama on NCL,.... just to compare expensive ports that were last minute replacements) and always got the missed port fees back and have NEVER been charged for extra port night that was replaced.  I guess HA does things differently.   

It was a first time experience for us. The difference in this situation may be that in Quebec and Montreal an operation was taking place. 

2 hours ago, lij1972 said:

I will be taking this cruise and am worried about this happening on my cruise.  If this were to happen, would I be able to make an 11am train in Montreal?

Thanks,

Lisa

Just ask for an earlier disembarkation time i.e. 5.00 AM. You’ll be fine!

3 hours ago, pascal030 said:

Just ask for an earlier disembarkation time i.e. 5.00 AM. You’ll be fine!

We had the same experience 5 years ago, and agree with pascal030.

Once arriving at the Montreal Cruise Ship Terminal, the distance to the VIA train station, located beneath the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel, is quite short. 

We have taken pleasant walks previously through the historic Old Montreal in 25 minutes, rolling our luggage,  Cruise Terminal to the VIA train station, if like us, you hate queuing for the taxis.

Or alternatively, take a 3 minute subway ride . 

It took our bus 3 hours travel time, Quebec Cruise Terminal to Montreal. And since it is a weekend, no rush-hour traffic to contend with.

1 minute ago, Winters in NZ said:

We had the same experience 5 years ago, and agree with pascal030.

Once arriving at the Montreal Cruise Ship Terminal, the distance to the VIA train station, located beneath the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel, is quite short. 

We have taken pleasant walks previously through the historic Old Montreal in 25 minutes, rolling our luggage,  Cruise Terminal to the VIA train station, if like us, you hate queuing for the taxis.

Or alternatively, take a 3 minute subway ride . 

It took our bus 3 hours travel time, Quebec Cruise Terminal to Montreal. And since it is a weekend, no rush-hour traffic to contend with

I feel better now booking an 11am train. 

If it's nice out and I can manage my luggage, I don't mind walking.  I'll take the preferred routes and bus options with me and set aside the bus fare.  Now if only they accepted the Presto card!

You can also call an Ueber to meet you at Door 1 at the Montreal cruise port (right where cars enter) and avoid the taxi line, which is what I did. Ten minute wait. Ueber driver even helped load my big bag.

This was my first time on HAL since 2015, a last minute thing, am usually cruising elsewhere.  I  thought HAL handled the sudden but necessary changes as well as could be expected.

First, late afternoon Thursday, before we hit QC port Friday, we got an overhead captain's announcement indicating we would be overnighting in QC Friday night due to the flooding.

Then shortly thereafter a written flyer appeared under the cabin door, indicating disembarking/busing options and times and if independent, to come to guest services by 6PM.

I had a hotel booked in Montreal post-cruise so was in no hurry to get up before 4AM,  and chose one of the last buses out of there.  I went to guest services to confirm my wishes, as instructed,  and later got an appropriate luggage tag. I looked forward to extra time in QC and the opportunity for dinner off the ship in a gourmet mecca, though I was so stuffed from my outstanding QC gourmet lunch that I wasn't hungry.

Disembarkation in QC Saturday morning was called at 7:45 (I expected 8-8:30 per the flyer but was ready early) and was easy, no lines, the worst was a snippy port agent.

The bus was quite crowded and had torn seats that did not recline, but did have a WC, and it got us to Montreal port without incident (unless you count people using the bus time to vocally chat with relatives on their cell phones, while others tried to read or sleep, as an incident).  I always bring wax ear plugs because there are inevitably a couple people who do this on buses, even on luxury lines. I had had room service breakfast per usual (HAL fortunately does that even on disembarkation days)  just in case there were delays. There was some lingering and hovering before we could get off the bus, maybe 20-25 minutes, due to a baggage handler shortage, which irritated some pax who had a flight to catch.  I don't know why those pax did not just pick a bus that was going to the airport from QC instead of the port.

The new timing  with arrival around noon allowed me to go straight into my Montreal hotel room, partially unpack and get settled in, and then go on to more gourmet food 🙂

I had some complaints on the cruise, (CC is studying my review before publishing) but thought embarkation and disembarkation were nicely done. If I were with DH, we would likely have rented a car if available to be more comfortable, but I don't trust myself in rental cars early in the morning in foreign ports.

The busing expense likely cost HAL quite a bit of profit, or maybe insurance covers it.  I am curious how the cruise line finances work, when there is a natural event and there is no one to "blame".

8 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

You can also call an Ueber to meet you at Door 1 at the Montreal cruise port (right where cars enter) and avoid the taxi line, which is what I did. Ten minute wait. Ueber driver even helped load my big bag.

This was my first time on HAL since 2015, a last minute thing, am usually cruising elsewhere.  I  thought HAL handled the sudden but necessary changes as well as could be expected.

First, late afternoon Thursday, before we hit QC port Friday, we got an overhead captain's announcement indicating we would be overnighting in QC Friday night due to the flooding.

Then shortly thereafter a written flyer appeared under the cabin door, indicating disembarking/busing options and times and if independent, to come to guest services by 6PM.

I had a hotel booked in Montreal post-cruise so was in no hurry to get up before 4AM,  and chose one of the last buses out of there.  I went to guest services to confirm my wishes, as instructed,  and later got an appropriate luggage tag. I looked forward to extra time in QC and the opportunity for dinner off the ship in a gourmet mecca, though I was so stuffed from my outstanding QC gourmet lunch that I wasn't hungry.

Disembarkation in QC Saturday morning was called at 7:45 (I expected 8-8:30 per the flyer but was ready early) and was easy, no lines, the worst was a snippy port agent.

The bus was quite crowded and had torn seats that did not recline, but did have a WC, and it got us to Montreal port without incident (unless you count people using the bus time to vocally chat with relatives on their cell phones, while others tried to read or sleep, as an incident).  I always bring wax ear plugs because there are inevitably a couple people who do this on buses, even on luxury lines. I had had room service breakfast per usual (HAL fortunately does that even on disembarkation days)  just in case there were delays. There was some lingering and hovering before we could get off the bus, maybe 20-25 minutes, due to a baggage handler shortage, which irritated some pax who had a flight to catch.  I don't know why those pax did not just pick a bus that was going to the airport from QC instead of the port.

The new timing  with arrival around noon allowed me to go straight into my Montreal hotel room, partially unpack and get settled in, and then go on to more gourmet food 🙂

I had some complaints on the cruise, (CC is studying my review before publishing) but thought embarkation and disembarkation were nicely done. If I were with DH, we would likely have rented a car if available to be more comfortable, but I don't trust myself in rental cars early in the morning in foreign ports.

The busing expense likely cost HAL quite a bit of profit, or maybe insurance covers it.  I am curious how the cruise line finances work, when there is a natural event and there is no one to "blame".

Hi cat 

Glad all worked out well ,we are going on 5/ 18 hopefully no flood issues . We were wondering if they offered any other transportation to Montreal. Was there a train available,Or a car rental close by?

thanks for the info looking forward to your review 

sullyd,

Nothing other than the buses or QC disembarkation were offered as included options.

I just looked up,  Hertz is closest and Enterprise is nearby.  Since you are from Boston you would likely have no problem with QC winding streets: 🙂

D5A201F9-0310-4F7C-8163-E5E9F4D14186.thumb.png.0923133a5145a3552f7f405b4dfcabab.png

4 hours ago, sullyd said:

Or a car rental close by?

I can't speak for Hertz, but we've rented from Enterprise when stopping in Quebec City for the day and they will pick you up at the port and drive you to the office. In our case, they also dropped us off at the port at the end of the day.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:31 AM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

This happened to us several years ago when the ship couldn't get to Montreal so we were bused to Quebec. I think the ride is about 3 to 4 hours.

When there has ben s very wet winer,/spring, the water level on St Lawrence is  too high to permit clearance for the ships beneagth gthe bridges.    No an unusual ciccumsand and  not a big deal   make iineeary changes,

My DH and I always did b-yo-b on this itinerary.  Rather than bus toQueb /Montreal, I woudl hope to simply remain  on the ship.  So what if we didn't get off in Montreal  🙂

My choice would be  to stay abvoard ans remain for the next sailing of our b-to-b.

It never did happen to us though

I  re  call they did an  ovenight in  Quebec City in the past when they could not sail.

Edited by sail7seas

On 5/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, sullyd said:

We are doing a one way rental to Montreal on 17th and staying near the port . If there’s still an issue Holland America should take care of it.

I tried sending this as a PM but the system won't let me so apologies for hijacking the thread. How are you doing the one way rental? Through whom? I need to do this from Montreal to Boston for our cruise in July.

39 minutes ago, sullyd said:

Made a reservation with Alamo very expensive 1 day almost 300.00

In Montreal?  We rented with Alamo, one way to Chicago for just $70USD.  In Quebec it was very, very expensive, so we took the bus to Montreal.  Try getting the car in downtown Montreal, they are very nice at that Alamo office.  We walked from the drop off at terminal.  Have fun, I hope you make it to Montreal.  

2 hours ago, sullyd said:

Made a reservation with Alamo very expensive 1 day almost 300.00

Wow - I had tried a number of companies but not Alamo. I just booked with Alamo from Montreal to Boston with no drop fee! Hopefully it actually works out. I'm a little worried about there being a mistake and it not happening in the end but they did send me a confirmation. Thanks for the tip 😉

Level 6 - we're going in late July so I'd be amazed if there is trouble then.

6 hours ago, iwantsomesun said:

I tried sending this as a PM but the system won't let me so apologies for hijacking the thread. How are you doing the one way rental? Through whom? I need to do this from Montreal to Boston for our cruise in July.

3 hours ago, iwantsomesun said:

Wow - I had tried a number of companies but not Alamo. I just booked with Alamo from Montreal to Boston with no drop fee! Hopefully it actually works out. I'm a little worried about there being a mistake and it not happening in the end but they did send me a confirmation. Thanks for the tip 😉

Level 6 - we're going in late July so I'd be amazed if there is trouble then.

HOW   (why) WOULD YOU EXPECT  HAL  to 'take  care ' of it?  They cannot lower the water level of the St. Lawrence River.  OR do you mean they should pay for car rentals for those who  do not want to ride the bUS?    iT IS NOT  HAL's fault the water level is so high  and the  ship cannot fit under the bridge.. 

They cannot lower  the water level and , in no way are responsible to pay anything more than the chartered bus, iMo.   I'd be happy to read why anyone thinks HAL should 'take care of it'.  

sail.noordam@gmail.com

image.png

Edited by sail7seas

HOW   (why) WOULD YOU EXPECT  HAL  to 'take  care ' of it?  They cannot lower the water level of the St. Lawrence River.  OR do you mean they should pay for car rentals for those who  do not want to ride the bUS?    iT IS NOT  HAL's fault the water level is so high  and the  ship cannot fit under the bridge.. 

They cannot lower  the water level and , in no way are responsible to pay anything more than the chartered bus, iMo.   I'd be happy to read why anyone thinks HAL should 'take care of it'.  

image.png.8b3e6af24e3d96b10a8da6837d1f32a9.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

11 hours ago, sail7seas said:

sail.noordam@gmail.com

image.png

Take care of it ,meaning they will keep us informed about weather or not the ship will be going to Montreal or disembarking from Quebec City . Not looking for anything more than was offered,except the time to make my own decision on transportation to Quebec City.

• Like 2

I sorry that PAX are not able to cruise to Montreal.  But, I don't see the cruise ship being to make it to Montreal for a while.  The river water level is high as so are the Great Lake water level.  Rain is still in the forecast cast for some/most of the area.

https://www.ijc.org/en/loslrb/water-levels-lake-ontario-st-lawrence-will-continue-rise

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/weather/2019/04/lake-ontario-water-levels-rising-again.html

7 hours ago, sullyd said:

Take care of it ,meaning they will keep us informed about weather or not the ship will be going to Montreal or disembarking from Quebec City . Not looking for anything more than was offered,except the time to make my own decision on transportation to Quebec City.

That is a reasonable expectation for them to  advise guests ASAP. Of course, Mother Nature will control the water level of the i river and as  soon as HALis advised whether they can sail the river, you   can  expect to  be advised.    Just know they cannot tell you until they know.image.png.4910e0396c8931c4aa1050cf1d4404fe.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Update on water levels as of Friday May 10

According to the chart, the data was as of May 8. I only mention that because the chart states that the Ottawa River "continues to decline slowly" when in fact it has recently increased in flow and some cities have experienced new flooding over the past couple of days. Lots of snow melting in the northern reaches of the Ottawa River watershed, combined with more heavy rains, and all flowing on to Montreal.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

According to the chart, the data was as of May 8. I only mention that because the chart states that the Ottawa River "continues to decline slowly" when in fact it has recently increased in flow and some cities have experienced new flooding over the past couple of days. Lots of snow melting in the northern reaches of the Ottawa River watershed, combined with more heavy rains, and all flowing on to Montreal.

Yes, I stand corrected.  I got the information today but it was Wednesday’s data updated charts on Thursday.  They did mention the situation on the Ottawa being in flux and changeable due to weather systems moving in.  If you got the rain we did Thursday night then if certainly didn’t help anything!

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

Thank you for the chart.   I do admit to having a hard time garnering the info from it but that is just me (probably).

Sail, the graphic is put together by the International Lake Ontario- St Lawrence River Board who communicate with the public on both sides of the border regarding water levels and flow from Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence River.  The graphs, if they can be enlarged, show if the water levels are below normal, normal or above normal and different monitoring stations.

Since all the water from the Great Lakes flows into Lake Ontario then up the St. Lawrence past Montréal I thought it may be helpful for those looking for the current state of flooding.

Edited by 1of4
  • Like 1

Lake Ontario is super high right now.  There were a few more downpours since this data came in.  Wind and waves were high yesterday and the spray from them crashing on the shore reached at least 20’ high.  I would be surprised if the next two embarkations/disembarkations were in Montreal.

Edited by *Miss G*