NCL GEM, any recent construction going on?

Hi all,

I will be sailing on the GEM to Bermuda in two weeks.  I have heard through 3rd person that the GEM had a lot of construction going on and a lot of public areas un-accesible.

This was from about 3 weeks ago.  I wonder if it was just something minor and the guy was blowing things out of proportion or it was really a big inconvenience?

I am still two weeks out so I am hoping what ever work was going on will be completed when I get on board.  Hopefully the Spinnaker, Great Outdoors or the Pool deck isn't out of order.  No one allowed on the Promenade deck or something crazy like that.

Thanks for any help.

Jon

Does anyone know when the GEM goes into dry dock for her next major renovation?

I believe NCL does this every 5 years with most of their ships and 2020 would probably be the year if it were scheduled.

Don

• 9 months later...

I read online that the Gem is going into dry dock for a refurbishment in November 2020. I don't know how extensive this refurbishment will be at all. Here's a link to that schedule: Norwegian Cruise Line Dry Dock cruise ship schedule 2020

I found it listed as being in Boston for "dry dock" for about 3 weeks. I am sailing on her the first week in May 2021, and am excited to see what they may have changed/upgraded. It'll be our first cruise in a Haven Suite as well so double the excitement.

2 hours ago, TheDoc1751 said:

I read online that the Gem is going into dry dock for a refurbishment in November 2020. I don't know how extensive this refurbishment will be at all. Here's a link to that schedule: Norwegian Cruise Line Dry Dock cruise ship schedule 2020

I found it listed as being in Boston for "dry dock" for about 3 weeks. I am sailing on her the first week in May 2021, and am excited to see what they may have changed/upgraded. It'll be our first cruise in a Haven Suite as well so double the excitement.

We sail on the Gem in April 2021 and are excited to see what has changed too

• Like 1

I just checked out that link for dry dock...they have Gem listed for Nov 13-29 in Boston for dry dock..

She has a 5 day 4-9. AND a 10 day 20-30 and 12 day on the 30th. So I can only assume it will be 10-19 as she must be back in NYC by the 20th !!!!