Anyone else concerned about the size of Ocean Cay?

BermudaBound2014

If you look at the maps/pictures, there seems to be a lot of beaches per acre due to the design of the island, with lots of inlets, etc.  I think the amount of beach shoreline will be important since most folks will set up shop on the beach.

• Like 2

From what I can tell there are no scheduled itineraries with two ships at Ocean Kay. Here are the scheduled visits around December 15 2019. I confirmed these on a couple sites. Now if Cuba continues to be an issue...

13 December, 2019 Friday  Seaside    09:00    23:00
14 December, 2019 Saturday Meraviglia    09:00    23:00
16 December, 2019 Monday Divina    09:00    23:00
17 December, 2019 Tuesday Armonia    07:00    17:00
18 December, 2019 Wednesday Divina    07:00    20:00
20 December, 2019 Friday Seaside   09:00    23:00
21 December, 2019 Saturday Meraviglia    09:00    23:00

• Like 1

Please understand, I'm not saying you are incorrect, but there is a lot of conflicting information about Ocean Cay.  Here is a clip from the site I linked above showing both Seaside and Divina docking at Ocean Cay on December 15th.

image.png.f6ef91f4a3b7de0fe87c8f660b382419.png

BUT....to add more confusion, your clip shows Divina at into Ocean 
Cay on Monday, December 16 AND Wednesday December 18 (which makes no sense to me as two stops in one week seem unlikely).  

So I have a site saying Divina will be at Ocean Cay on December 15. You have a Site showing Divina there on December 15 and 18th, But the MSC site shows Divina docking at Ocean Cay on Friday December 20th.

image.png.c9bd84f1b7453c50767288fe846fdbe4.png

This is what makes following MSC so interesting :). 

1 minute ago, cruisingandcrazy said:

*Itinerary and schedule is subject to change.  🙂

Of course,  itinerary changes happens all the time. I'm subject to one on the Allure in few weeks due to azipod issues. Ironically, azipod's got me once before on a princess sailing. In fact, I'd guess about 25% of the cruises I have taken since 1987 have had some sort of itinerary change. Those of us who love the sea accept the these changes without further thought. 

Thank you for this post.  With luck, we will be in OC this January.  I'm enjoying all the speculation regarding OC.  It will be interesting to experience it in person.

• Like 1

Lol. let the MSC executives worry about this.

This is not even something random cruisers would remotely care considering there isn't even any review out yet.

But honestly, if you can survive a sea day, you can survive a private island day. A lot of people don't care about beach.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 2:50 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

there has been lots of posts by individuals who are wondering whether or not a YC area on Ocean Cay will actually exist once it's finished

Yes, it will exist though not scheduled to be completed until sometime in February or possibly March. Most of the North Island will be YC exclusive. Will have it's own restaurant and bar which will be called the Yacht Club Ocean House. Restaurant will be open 11:30 to 2:30 and the bar from 9:30 to 4:00.  There is no charge currently planned for Yacht Club guests to eat here. The tentative menu looks something like this:

Starters

Crab Ceviche

blue land crab, serrano peppers, three onions, cilantro

Charred Octopus

arugula, tomatoes, scallions, jicama tossed, key west lime vinaigrette

Ocean Cay Salad

sugar cane glazed bacon, romaine hearts, frisee, palmitos, grilled popales, egg

Main Courses

Pineapple Club Mahi Mahi (locally sourced)

pineapple relish, spinach, watercress, heirloom tomatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, coconut cilantro dressing

Lobster Roll

spiny Caribbean lobster salad, mayonnaise, celery, toasted butter roll, homemade potato chips

Carne Asada

yucatan style grilled skirt steak, mescal, honey, roasted Garlic, guajillo chilies

The Burger

signature blend of fresh angus chunk, short ribs, brisket meat patty grilled, red onion jam, monterrey cheese, sweet fries

Sweets

Crème Caramel - island rum, coconut flakes

Mango Cheesecake - toasted pistachios

Chocolate Cake - warm coffee sauce

And of course the caveat I give with all things MSC is that things are frequently subject to change. Oh and this bar does have a good selection of beers, wines and spirits.

Hope this helps.

Bret

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Yes, it will exist though not scheduled to be completed until sometime in February or possibly March. Most of the North Island will be YC exclusive. Will have it's own restaurant and bar which will be called the Yacht Club Ocean House. Restaurant will be open 11:30 to 2:30 and the bar from 9:30 to 4:00.  There is no charge currently planned for Yacht Club guests to eat here. The tentative menu looks something like this:

Starters

Crab Ceviche

blue land crab, serrano peppers, three onions, cilantro

Charred Octopus

arugula, tomatoes, scallions, jicama tossed, key west lime vinaigrette

Ocean Cay Salad

sugar cane glazed bacon, romaine hearts, frisee, palmitos, grilled popales, egg

Main Courses

Pineapple Club Mahi Mahi (locally sourced)

pineapple relish, spinach, watercress, heirloom tomatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, coconut cilantro dressing

Lobster Roll

spiny Caribbean lobster salad, mayonnaise, celery, toasted butter roll, homemade potato chips

Carne Asada

yucatan style grilled skirt steak, mescal, honey, roasted Garlic, guajillo chilies

The Burger

signature blend of fresh angus chunk, short ribs, brisket meat patty grilled, red onion jam, monterrey cheese, sweet fries

Sweets

Crème Caramel - island rum, coconut flakes

Mango Cheesecake - toasted pistachios

Chocolate Cake - warm coffee sauce

And of course the caveat I give with all things MSC is that things are frequently subject to change. Oh and this bar does have a good selection of beers, wines and spirits.

Hope this helps.

Bret

That does help and thanks.

Very much looking forward to going here.

4 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

Lol I guess size does not matter in this case, and question should be :"is it even gonna be ready for my Dec 1 cruise?" :classic_laugh:

I'm late February, so I'm more optimistic!

22 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Apparently the pictures are from the last week.  They do have six months, though.

image.png.6ee83458fb015cb89ca62ce4d96a0c0e.pngimage.png.3ca932f4afe893b62f58f7fda046cc8e.pngimage.png.3daa9d40bafc3b195d4b38d4a95e853d.png

WEll.... 6 month between dominican workers and Italian management plus hurricane season ..... I wonder what a those 3 story buildings? 

22 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

WEll.... 6 month between dominican workers and Italian management plus hurricane season ..... I wonder what a those 3 story buildings? 

The buildings are probably the housing for staff who will live on the island.  MSC said that there would be resident staff on the Cay.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

I believe the workers are from the Bahamas, not Dominica, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

Lol I guess size does not matter in this case, and question should be :"is it even gonna be ready for my Dec 1 cruise?" :classic_laugh:

I thought you didn't care about things that you can't change? I'm just teasing you 🙂. I would hope we all care about even things that we can't change (or at least I hope we do, otherwise this would be a sad sad world  :). 

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe the workers are from the Bahamas, not Dominica, but I could be wrong.

I thought you didn't care about things that you can't change? I'm just teasing you 🙂. I would hope we all care about even things that we can't change (or at least I hope we do, otherwise this would be a sad sad world  :). 

I really don't care . Life is too short. Ready or not we are on DEc 1  cruise and I can not change it. 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I thought using the word 'about' gave allowance for a rough estimate (albeit very rough)?   I  do agree, the difference between 30% and 45% of 95 acres might be statistically significant not to mention that 45% just sounds much bigger. However; being a math person you know that one can crunch the numbers until they confess a variety of ways. 

I could have stated that even at 95 acres....... 

Ocean Cay is 47% smaller than Coco Cay

Ocean cay is 185% smaller than Stirrup Cay

Ocean Cay is 2,637% smaller than Half moon cay.

I think my math is correct, but feel free to chime in :). 

Again, I'm not implying that Ocean Cay isn't going to be lovely. MSC builds lovely ships (with low space ratios). This isn't a slam on MSC.  I'm not making any absolute 'claims'. This is a conversation about size when compared to the competition. Most in this thread seem to think the small size won't make any difference.  I find it interesting. 

Perhaps they will build triple decker beach loungers and charge a fee to use the steps up to the top level.  Those on the lowest level would have some protection from the sun :).

Hank

21 minutes ago, max996 said:

Hey, TRQ Travel - I know Tina (and her husband John). 

Correct!  I use Christine, but she has a very good rep as well!  Love the quality of her posts!  Great content and detail!

• Like 1