If you are relying on your credit card insurance ....

21 hours ago, Port Power said:

Ā 

My ANZ Platinum also only requires $250, but I usually pay the cruiseĀ deposit with the card as well as the air fares. Ā Once again I had to claim last month when the ship was extremely late arriving at final port and I had to ring Qantas (from the shipā€™s office) and reschedule to the next day. Ā They could only do a flexible business fare back to Australia, which was twice as much as my original fare. Ā Nevertheless Allianz reimbursed the total cost,Ā plus overnight hotel and dinner, with only the $250 excess. Ā In total nearly $5,000. Ā I would NEVERĀ travel without insurance.

Ā 

IMPORTANT

Keep your printed statement showing those CC payments and/or deposits, plus the receipts from your TA. Ā I ask they print ā€œvisa ending.....1234ā€ on receipts. Ā Keep your flight e-tickets too until you arrive home. Ā Have them all safely at home just in case until after you have safely returned.

Ā 

I double checked that return ticket requirementĀ with the insurer as well, as at first it looked like a one-way flight would negate the insurance. They confirmed fly one way, cruise back, go around the world or whatever, as long as I start and finish the journey in Australia.

Ā 

Also, CC insurance does not cover ā€œthe whole familyā€ as one poster stated unless it is a spouse and dependent children. Ā It would not cover my adult son sharing the cabin, for instance. Carol

To get back on topic here and just to clarify what Allianz told me,,,,,,,,,

If you donā€™t have proof of your intention to return Australia and you need to make a claim it will NOT go through so that is why itā€™s important to book your return home no matter what mode of transport.

Cheers Carole

8 hours ago, kowhairob said:

She is all show and no substance.Ā  She has a degree BSC in Politics and Public relations.Ā  At least Scott Morrison won in Australia as a Shorten Government would of been disastrous for Australia and even New Zealand.Ā Ā 

Well said. Donning a headscarf after a massacre doesn't make you suddenly a great leader, just somebody who knows how to play the media. This is a woman who used to work for Tony Blair. If that isn't enough said, what is? I am so glad she's yours and not ours. We supped a nice bottle of bubbly last night to celebrate Shorten's defeat. People seem to forget that during the days of the "great" Hawke and Keating many people lost their homes as unemployment went through the roof and interest rates reached 18%. And let's not forget the financial mess from Rudd/Gillard/Rudd. I guess some people just long for the 'bad old days", but I'm with you. šŸ™‚

Back on topic, though.Ā  With our Commonwealth credit card the travel insurance is now through CoverMore. It used to be with Allianz, which was fine as my parents-in-law were with them and when my father-in-law had a stroke while on a cruise up to Hong Kong, everything was covered without too much stress - all the medical expenses in Hong Kong, a medivac flight back to Australia after just over two weeks in a HK hospital, the hotel for my mother-in-law and my husband, their meals etc, even their travel expenses going to and from the hospital every day. The only issue we had was with their doctor back home in Oz. He was away on holidays when it happened, and no other doctor in the surgery would provide the insurance company with the medical details that they needed. That delayed things for a couple of weeks, but I have to say the hotel in Hong Kong - the Novotel - was fantastic, accepting that confirmation of payment of all expenses would come through in due course.

Ā 

Our next cruise is a domestic one with CMV. They actually insist that you have travel insurance, and you have to provide the details when you complete all the booking documentation. They do actually say that they have the right to refuse embarkation to anybody who doesn't have travel insurance. Top idea.

7 hours ago, kowhairob said:

Have to disagree, we have made great returns on your Sharemarket and given all the Labour promises that would of hit your deficit very hardĀ 

Ā 

A stock market is not solely a reflection of good government. Further, our deficit has hit a record high and doubled under this current mixture of party leaders forming this government so they have very poor form. Lastly on that point, there was nothing in the alternative policies that would have significantly worsened that.

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Ā 

A stock market is not solely a reflection of good government. Further, our deficit has hit a record high and doubled under this current mixture of party leaders forming this government so they have very poor form. Lastly on that point, there was nothing in the alternative policies that would have significantly worsened that.

Labour would of made the deficit even higher with its taxation policies. Bill Shorten will have time on his hands to contemplate where it went wrong, but as an outsider looking in he looked like a fox in the hen house . Dangerous .

9 hours ago, Beejay4016 said:

Back on topic, though.Ā  With our Commonwealth credit card the travel insurance is now through CoverMore. It used to be with Allianz, which was fine as my parents-in-law were with them and when my father-in-law had a stroke while on a cruise up to Hong Kong, everything was covered without too much stress - all the medical expenses in Hong Kong, a medivac flight back to Australia after just over two weeks in a HK hospital, the hotel for my mother-in-law and my husband, their meals etc, even their travel expenses going to and from the hospital every day. The only issue we had was with their doctor back home in Oz. He was away on holidays when it happened, and no other doctor in the surgery would provide the insurance company with the medical details that they needed. That delayed things for a couple of weeks, but I have to say the hotel in Hong Kong - the Novotel - was fantastic, accepting that confirmation of payment of all expenses would come through in due course.

Ā 

Our next cruise is a domestic one with CMV. They actually insist that you have travel insurance, and you have to provide the details when you complete all the booking documentation. They do actually say that they have the right to refuse embarkation to anybody who doesn't have travel insurance. Top idea.

Glad the insurance came through when needed most.

15 hours ago, Beejay4016 said:

Well said. Donning a headscarf after a massacre doesn't make you suddenly a great leader, just somebody who knows how to play the media. This is a woman who used to work for Tony Blair. If that isn't enough said, what is? I am so glad she's yours and not ours. We supped a nice bottle of bubbly last night to celebrate Shorten's defeat. People seem to forget that during the days of the "great" Hawke and Keating many people lost their homes as unemployment went through the roof and interest rates reached 18%. And let's not forget the financial mess from Rudd/Gillard/Rudd. I guess some people just long for the 'bad old days", but I'm with you. ļ»æšŸ™‚

Ok, can I please suggest that the political comment cease.Ā  It's gone beyond discussion and become rude and dismissive.Ā  I acknowledge that it was my comment about the NZ PM which started this but, I only meant to nice and complimentary.Ā  If we could just recognise that politics is different to different peopleĀ  and even agree to disagree, that would be great.Ā  My apologies for getting the whole thread off track.Ā Ā šŸ™„

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Ok, can I please suggest that the political comment cease.Ā  It's gone beyond discussion and become rude and dismissive.Ā  I acknowledge that it was my comment about the NZ PM which started this but, I only meant to nice and complimentary.Ā  If we could just recognise that politics is different to different peopleĀ  and even agree to disagree, that would be great.Ā  My apologies for getting the whole thread off track.Ā Ā šŸ™„

Apology acceptedšŸ˜œ

Thanks to those that commented on the reason for the differences in ANZ credit card insurance policy, re OZ and NZ, I hadnt realised they would be different.

Especially when the bank is called Australia New Zealand bank haha!!

But just makes it more relevant to read the wording before you cruise everytime if you are using it.

We use it, dont have pre exisiting, but so far have never had to claim.Ā 

We use InsureĀ n Go for domestic itineraries

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Ā 

Well said. Letā€™s get back to credit card insurance.

Ā 

After decades with ANZ and several claims (all honoured), IĀ have just changed to the Qantas Platinum card and read the terms and conditions closely. Ā More points to earn but more has to be spent too. Ā I was concerned at first that flights would have to be with Qantas, which isnā€™t always practical. Ā Not the case, however. Cover is by Chubb. Ā With my track record I will probably find out what they are like to deal with!

7 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Ā 

We use InsureĀ n Go for domestic itineraries.

Ā 

Ā 

I have never insured for domestic travel and sometimes wonder if I should. Ā Any flight from Perth to Sydney to join a cruise is considered part of the international journey. Ā Otherwise I book simple return flights, stay with relatives andĀ have private health insurance if I have an accident. Ā I have not yet been on a domestic holiday such as an APT tour or Kimberley cruising. I mightĀ have to look as travel insurance when I do that type of trip. Ā But wouldnā€™t my Australian health insurance suffice? Ā Now Iā€™m thinking about repatriation from some remote chasm!

19 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Ā 

Well said. Letā€™s get back to credit card insurance.

Ā 

After decades with ANZ and several claims (all honoured), IĀ have just changed to the Qantas Platinum card and read the terms and conditions closely. Ā More points to earn but more has to be spent too. Ā I was concerned at first that flights would have to be with Qantas, which isnā€™t always practical. Ā Not the case, however. Cover is by Chubb. Ā With my track record I will probably find out what they are like to deal with!

I did a Credit Card comparison recently, we have no need to remain with ANZ, but want a card that is Qantas, has $1 for 1point, good travel insurance, yearly Qantas lounge passes ( dont want much do we!!)Ā all these have the large yearly fees.

I did look at the Qantas Platinum card with the Chubb insurance, but the Medical was limited at $1000000 p/p, I have always had a thing about it being unlimited re cruising.

Interested to see how you find it.......edited to add, hope you dont have to use it!!

Edited by cheznandy

4 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Ā 

I have never insured for domestic travel and sometimes wonder if I should. Ā Any flight from Perth to Sydney to join a cruise is considered part of the international journey. Ā Otherwise I book simple return flights, stay with relatives andĀ have private health insurance if I have an accident. Ā I have not yet been on a domestic holiday such as an APT tour or Kimberley cruising. I mightĀ have to look as travel insurance when I do that type of trip. Ā But wouldnā€™t my Australian health insurance suffice? Ā Now Iā€™m thinking about repatriation from some remote chasm!

My aplogies, I meant domestic cruising, we dont insure for domestic holidays, land based or driving either. And yes, the domestic flight to the destination to join the international cruise or flight is insured as part of theĀ international Ā trip, obviously not medical as medicare./private health covers that.

Edited by cheznandy

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Glad the insurance came through when needed most.

They were great. Their rep in Hong Kong kept in contact with my mother-in-law and husband when they were up there, and I dealt with things here and it was handled so smoothly. I can't understand anybody who travels without insurance. It's that old saying, isn't it: if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel.

2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

aplogies, I meant domestic cruising, we dont insure for domestic holidays, land based or driving either. And yes, the domestic flight to the destination to join the international cruise or flight is insured as part of theĀ international Ā trip, obviously not medical as medicare./private health covers that.

We have the annual policy now that also covers domestic cruises, the main items wanted there is for medical evacuation and for any medical aboard the ship and possible domestic flights. Medical on land is covered by our normal health insurance. Credit card insurance will not cover any of those.

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We have the annual policy now that also covers domestic cruises, the main items wanted there is for medical evacuation and for any medical aboard the ship and possible domestic flights. Medical on land is covered by our normal health insurance. Credit card insurance will not cover any of those.

Yes, those are the reasons we take out insurance for domestic cruises which our CC does not insure.

We had yearly insurance years ago, but when we started using the CC insurance couldnt justify havingĀ both.

We were using the CC insurance for international travel and a singleĀ  policy for each domestic trip but when the CC insurance wouldn't cover the pre-existing anymore, it made sense to get an annual policy for all travel.

8 hours ago, Port Power said:

Ā 

What about if you had to cancel your big $ Kimberly trip due to an insured event happening prior?

Ā 

40 minutes ago, ELep said:

What about if you had to cancel your big $ Kimberly trip due to an insured event happening prior?

Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s exactly the scenario I thought of. Ā I have never done a purely domestic cruise (always had one overseas port), nor a ā€œbigā€ domestic holiday. Ā When that Kimberley trip eventuates, I guess IĀ will ask for quotes from my health fund, RAC and Covermore. Ā 

Ā 

I have already told my nearly 90 year old mother to not do undertake anyĀ dangerous activities when that trip occurs!

8 hours ago, cheznandy said:

I did a Credit Card comparison recently, we have no need to remain with ANZ, but want a card that is Qantas, has $1 for 1point, good travel insurance, yearly Qantas lounge passes ( dont want much do we!!)Ā all these have the large yearly fees.

I did look at the Qantas Platinum card with the Chubb insurance, but the Medical was limited at $1000000 p/p, I have always had a thing about it being unlimited re cruising.

Interested to see how you find it.......edited to add, hope you dont have to use it!!

Ā 

I donā€™t need the lounge passes as I am Qantas Platinum. Ā When are you flying next? Ā They are valid until the end of next February.

Ā 

I felt the medical limit was sufficient as there areĀ extra payments for evacuation, a companion, funeral expenses, etc. Ā I hope I wouldĀ be home before I clock up a million. Ā Unless hefty USA hospitalisation is extremely lengthy! Ā At least my non-delay claims have all been due to another relative, not myself. Ā I absolutely DO NOT intend to need insurance while on my 35-day USA trip. Ā Carol

Thanks for the heads up. We now have a Qantas Premier card as well, and as I had already insured for the next cruise with Aust Post it is not something I had researched so far. I see that we have to spend minimum $500 and it needs to be a return trip as well, and both of these points are mentioned in the start of the document, which is good.

The return trip point was not something I had ever thought of....it is very easy to skim over the document looking for just the info on one topic, eg car hire insurance, or medical etc.

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, MicCanberra said:

Good advice.

Nice mug shot avatar, Mic and Rosie, you spring chickens.šŸ˜

Edited by NSWP