"Select Royal Princess voyages may sail on the West side of Vancouver Island."

Nosleepatall

The brochures for Princess Alaska cruises and the nature guide they sell on board all indicate a route through Johnstone Strait, east of Vancouver Island. I’ll be very disappointed if that isn’t what we get. Princess has no business sailing a ship that’s too big for the trip they advertise. Could be my first and last Princess cruise.

• Haha 1

I just finished my "live from" blog post for the day and covered this topic. Hope it's okay I just did a copy and paste of the info that applies...

Today I had the opportunity to ask the Captain and 3rd Officer several questions about the route this ship has taken as we've navigated our way to and from Alaska. If you remember, when we left Vancouver we took the green route
IMG_0784.JPG
 instead of the much more scenic red route. It was quite disappointing.
IMG_07842.png
Today as we're heading back to Vancouver we are again taking the non-scenic route. As I found out in my questioning today, the issue is with the length of the Royal Princess and the British Columbia marine pilot rules. Currently there is a limit on the length a ship can be when passing through the area. While right now the Royal cannot sail those narrower, more scenic waterways they are working to get clearance at some point during the summer. So sailings later in the season may get the scenic route. Lucky ducks.

I also asked about the Ketchikan approach. Usually when coming into Ketchikan from the south ships take the red route but we came in on the brown route. Another less scenic route.
Untitled2.png
Alaska marine pilots had concerns about the maneuverability of the Royal Princess, particularly at lower speeds. So as the ship was needing to slow down to dock in Ketchikan it required a different approach - one that would bring her in from the north. Which now makes sense to why when we left Ketchikan on our way back to Vancouver we we were able to leave from the south. I was told today since we weren't trying to slow down the issue wasn't an issue and we could maneuver on out through the scenic south.
IMG_5065.JPG
I found the conversation (and information) very interesting.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Deb - the main reason the conversation was informative and interesting was that you know your stuff! You asked the right questions! I am guessing the Captain enjoyed speaking with you because it is a change in "his normal questions".

Thanks for asking and posting. We were all curious what the real reasons were and if it would change.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Deb - the main reason the conversation was informative and interesting was that you know your stuff! You asked the right questions! I am guessing the Captain enjoyed speaking with you because it is a change in "his normal questions".

Thanks for asking and posting. We were all curious what the real reasons were and if it would change.

Thanks, Coral. The only other lady in the group had a question about when the ship would be changing the time on her cell phone. (We moved an hour ahead last night.) I'd rather be asking my kinds of questions, for sure!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Thanks, Coral. The only other lady in the group had a question about when the ship would be changing the time on her cell phone. (We moved an hour ahead last night.) I'd rather be asking my kinds of questions, for sure!

Too funny. I had no idea they had that power!

Edited by Coral

7 hours ago, idahospud said:
I just finished my "live from" blog post for the day and covered this topic. Hope it's okay I just did a copy and paste of the info that applies...

Today I had the opportunity to ask the Captain and 3rd Officer several questions about the route this ship has taken as we've navigated our way to and from Alaska. If you remember, when we left Vancouver we took the green route
IMG_0784.JPG
 instead of the much more scenic red route. It was quite disappointing.
IMG_07842.png
Today as we're heading back to Vancouver we are again taking the non-scenic route. As I found out in my questioning today, the issue is with the length of the Royal Princess and the British Columbia marine pilot rules. Currently there is a limit on the length a ship can be when passing through the area. While right now the Royal cannot sail those narrower, more scenic waterways they are working to get clearance at some point during the summer. So sailings later in the season may get the scenic route. Lucky ducks.

I also asked about the Ketchikan approach. Usually when coming into Ketchikan from the south ships take the red route but we came in on the brown route. Another less scenic route.
Untitled2.png
Alaska marine pilots had concerns about the maneuverability of the Royal Princess, particularly at lower speeds. So as the ship was needing to slow down to dock in Ketchikan it required a different approach - one that would bring her in from the north. Which now makes sense to why when we left Ketchikan on our way back to Vancouver we we were able to leave from the south. I was told today since we weren't trying to slow down the issue wasn't an issue and we could maneuver on out through the scenic south.
IMG_5065.JPG

Deb - have they mentioned anything about the gale warning around Vancouver? Just curious how bumpy the ride gets tonight. We were trying to get to Victoria today and  it got so choppy on our ferry/catamaran, we had to turn around and go back to Vancouver. I know a cruise ship can handle much more than a ferry, but they said it’s the first time this had happened. We board Royal tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, foggyphils said:

Deb - have they mentioned anything about the gale warning around Vancouver? Just curious how bumpy the ride gets tonight. We were trying to get to Victoria today and  it got so choppy on our ferry/catamaran, we had to turn around and go back to Vancouver. I know a cruise ship can handle much more than a ferry, but they said it’s the first time this had happened. We board Royal tomorrow. 

Haven't heard anything about the gale warning. The seas have been pretty rough today but have calmed down tonight. The ship handled the waves extremely well (the ship has been using its stabilizers today) and it has been a somewhat smooth ride. These two weeks have been our 16th and 17th cruises to Alaska and I can tell you definitively the Royal handles rough weather better than any of the other Princess ships we've taken to Alaska. If anyone is prone to seasickness, I'd recommend choosing the Royal Princess over any other Princess ship because of its stability. 

Edited by idahospud

15 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Haven't heard anything about the gale warning. The seas have been pretty rough today but have calmed down tonight. The ship handled the waves extremely well (the ship has been using its stabilizers today) and it has been a somewhat smooth ride. These two weeks have been our 16th and 17th cruises to Alaska and I can tell you definitively the Royal handles rough weather better than any of the other Princess ships we've taken to Alaska. If anyone is prone to seasickness, I'd recommend choosing the Royal Princess over any other Princess ship because of its stability. 

Good to hear and thanks for the quick reply. After today’s roller coaster experience, I’m hoping for a smoother ride on the ship. 

• 8 months later...

I did read in the Cruise Catalogue, that SOME Royal Princess sailings out of Vancouver would be on the West side.

I was hoping we'd be lucky this coming July 11th in 2020, but have found out that the Royal does not handle very

well at slow speeds and they have to go slow through the Inland Passage.  Plus, they haven't got Azipod propulsion, which gives more mobility.  They have standard rudders and propulsion.  Why they didn't put Azipod on the Royal is odd.  She is a fairly recent build and there are only a few ships that don't have it.

I also read on two other reviews that the Royal missed out on Juneau because of rough weather.  That would be really annoying and possibly for the same reason.  Poor maneuverability.  The captain or pilot, possibly had no other choice, for safety.

9 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Are you sure it's not May 30?

Aha, they're likely referring to the June 1, 2019 sailing as this thread is a year old now. 

As an aside, for those who are still debating internally if Royal might be lucky this year or next, Princess has now been more upfront on their maps (this image is for 2021) about whether or not she'll sail along the eastern side in their marketing -- something to remind yourself if the scenic routes are important to you.

image.png.aebac104caae50910a87c2047f54b75c.png

On 5/13/2019 at 9:21 AM, Nosleepatall said:

We planned our trip to leave out of Vancouver precisely to be able to sail through the Inside Passage vs. out to sea. 

Perhaps I missed it but I don't recall seeing that disclaimer in the itinerary description when we booked in November.  I do believe it was marketed as an "inside passage" cruise. 

Even if a ship sails west of Vancouver Island, it is still an "inside passage" cruise.  As mentioned above, the Inside Passage is actually further north of Vancouver Island anyway.

Also as mentioned above, the cruise contract you agreed to allows for changes to the itinerary for any reason.  In fact, Princess could cancel ALL port calls and still be within their rights and what you agreed to when you booked the cruise.

2 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

Even if a ship sails west of Vancouver Island, it is still an "inside passage" cruise.  As mentioned above, the Inside Passage is actually further north of Vancouver Island anyway.

Also as mentioned above, the cruise contract you agreed to allows for changes to the itinerary for any reason.  In fact, Princess could cancel ALL port calls and still be within their rights and what you agreed to when you booked the cruise.

When we sailed out of San Francisco in May 2014 on the Star P we went west of Vancouver Island and I really enjoyed that route.  It was late afternoon--the sun was low--and the water was like glass.  Then to my surprise water fowl rose out of the water and flew off!  Super time for photographers and, I assume, everyone else.  On our first cruise to Alaska, which was on the former Celebrity Horizon in 2014, we sailed up through the passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland.  Unfortunately, the weather was quite windy so it was very rough.  That ship is much smaller than the ones sailing up to Alaska these days so I'm not surprised they may avoid going between the island and the mainland.  It is what it is.  Alaska is the destination, not that particular stretch of water.  Photos from that afternoon are posted near the beginning of this thread.

Royal P      1,083 ft long, 143,000 GT   vs    Celebrity Horizon    682 ft long, 47,000 GT

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

You are probably making up time.  The speeds are very restricted on the east side route and are generally reserved for one way voyages. The part you are worried about happens during the dark anyway....

its the part you travel overnight the first night. The scenery will still be amazing until dark and then you will be near the entry of inside passage in the am...

Edited by tanyaewa

13 hours ago, Silver Fern said:

I did read in the Cruise Catalogue, that SOME Royal Princess sailings out of Vancouver would be on the West side.

I was hoping we'd be lucky this coming July 11th in 2020, but have found out that the Royal does not handle very

well at slow speeds and they have to go slow through the Inland Passage.  Plus, they haven't got Azipod propulsion, which gives more mobility.  They have standard rudders and propulsion.  Why they didn't put Azipod on the Royal is odd.  She is a fairly recent build and there are only a few ships that don't have it.

I also read on two other reviews that the Royal missed out on Juneau because of rough weather.  That would be really annoying and possibly for the same reason.  Poor maneuverability.  The captain or pilot, possibly had no other choice, for safety.

Not odd at all.

Princess does not use Azipods on any ship and obviously with their extensive shipbuilding experience and research through many many years of cruising they feel they are not warranted for their new builds.

I have spoken with Princess Captains in the past that don't like them.

Lots of maintenance issues over time.

Curious who told you the Royal does not handle well at slow speeds?

26 minutes ago, tanyaewa said:

You are probably making up time.  The speeds are very restricted on the east side route and are generally reserved for one way voyages. The part you are worried about happens during the dark anyway....

its the part you travel overnight the first night. The scenery will still be amazing until dark and then you will be near the entry of inside passage in the am...

Thanks for posting this as I thought I was missing something. We did the Southbound on the Royal in August and even if we did go east of Vancouver Island, most of it would have been night time prior to docking in Vancouver. For us, I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. 

35 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Thanks for posting this as I thought I was missing something. We did the Southbound on the Royal in August and even if we did go east of Vancouver Island, most of it would have been night time prior to docking in Vancouver. For us, I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. 

Southbound, it depends. Ships can only transit Seymour Narrows at slack tide (a short period about every six hours). Speed will be set to get there at the desired time, then after transiting, speed is set to arrive Vancouver as schedule.  Depending on the tide schedule, that transit will typically be between 6pm and midnight southbound. And north of there is also quite scenic for two to three hours so southbound, most or all of the scenic transit between the northern part of Vancouver Island and the mainland will be in daylight.

Our most recent Alaska cruise was SB in part to see that area in daylight. I knew from the port schedule that two other ships were due in Vancouver with us and we had been close to one of them all day. But as we approached Seymour Narrows, here came the third (doing a couple of knots faster than us as it had come from Juneau but we and the other ship had come Ketchikan) getting in line behind us to make the transit during the slack tide.  A glorious sight seeing three ships in a row pass through there.

• Like 1