FYI's for Norwegian Joy

8 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

Do you have the breakfast and lunch menus for La Cucina?

They were the exact same menus every day. In addition, at breakfast they had a small self serve buffet set up with fresh fruit choices, yogurt parfaits, etc that you could help yourself to while they cooked your order and they would bring a variety of pastries in a basket to the table. 

My family ordered the steak often. Said it was the best place to get steak on the ship. I finally listened and ordered the steak and eggs on the last day and wow the steak just melted in my mouth. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, timf2001 said:

In these cases, it's best to set the time zone on your phone manually.  On iPhones, it's Settings > General > Date & Time.  Android phones should be similar.

Who knew? Thanks for the tip!   (That could be helpful if I was smart enough to know what time zone we were in, lol. They never told us that part).

We are on the Joy in a few months for a panama trip and are staying in a Concierge Family room.  I was under the impression that we could start making reservations 130 days out b/c it was considered a suite room.  Is this accurate?  I looked on the website but it still says everything is too early to book.  First time doing a suite type room with NCL so not sure if I'm just missing something.  

Also, for those that have already been on Joy.  Does anyone happen to have any pics of the arcade area?  I've seen quite a few of the VR Pavilion but not much (any) of the regular arcade.  Got two kids traveling with us so folks are excited about the prospect of playing arcade games at sea 🙂

On 6/4/2019 at 6:27 AM, Snagler said:

They were the exact same menus every day. In addition, at breakfast they had a small self serve buffet set up with fresh fruit choices, yogurt parfaits, etc that you could help yourself to while they cooked your order and they would bring a variety of pastries in a basket to the table. 

My family ordered the steak often. Said it was the best place to get steak on the ship. I finally listened and ordered the steak and eggs on the last day and wow the steak just melted in my mouth. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for posting these!  Question:  is the fresh squeezed juice included if you have the beverage package?

1 hour ago, htnut said:

Thanks for posting these!  Question:  is the fresh squeezed juice included if you have the beverage package?

Not included with the FAS booking perk, which is the Premium Beverage Package.

Edited by aero777

This is the map they gave us as we exited the ship. I really didn't pay attention as we grabbed a cab to Mendenhall Glacier right as we got off the ship and then another drove us straight back. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jfbbarry said:

What cruise terminal did you dock at in Juneau?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Juneau+Cruise+Ship+Terminal+Area/@58.2963411,-134.4016505,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x97421fedbad56fff?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid7bqgzdXiAhVEPawKHZyaAdgQ_BIwEnoECA4QCA

May 18th NCL Joy trip.

Here is view from our ship of the Downtown area of Juneau.

IMG_20190521_064457.jpg

IMG_20190521_060907.jpg

• Like 1

Taxi to and from Medenhall Glacier: how much was the fare?

How long of a ride- I know it is 12 miles?

Were taxies readily available at the pier and at the Glacier?

How long should you plan to stay at the Glacier to go through the Visitor's center and hike to the Glacier?

16 hours ago, jfbbarry said:

Taxi to and from Medenhall Glacier: how much was the fare?

How long of a ride- I know it is 12 miles?

Were taxies readily available at the pier and at the Glacier?

How long should you plan to stay at the Glacier to go through the Visitor's center and hike to the Glacier?

The fare was about $35 each way. That covered four of us riding in the cab. 

The park only allows certain taxi companies actual access all the way into the park and up to the parking lot by the Visitor Center.  If you take one of those companies, the cab will collect a visitor fee per person on top of that (I can't remember exactly how much....around $12 I think).  If you take a cab company that does not go all the way into the park, you do not have to pay that visitor fee.  The park did not collect it themselves. The cab will drop you off about a 10 minute walk from the visitor center.

We did not know this part when we pre arranged a cab ride with a company that did not take you all the way to the visitor center. (We have National Park passes so we would have not had to pay a fee if the park was collecting it but if you take a cab inside, the cab companies are required to collect the fee even if you have a pass). 

While we were waiting at the dock for our taxi to show up, other taxi companies were there waiting at the dock for anyone to hire them.  One of the drivers explained how his company would be able to enter the park and pick us up at the Visitor Center after we finished our hike.  He gave me his card and said to just call him when we were done and he would be there within 20 min. 

The company we prearranged a ride with to take us to Mendenhall was Glacier Taxi and Tours (907) 796-2300.  They were about 15 minutes late picking us up.  They do not have entrance privileges (apparently the taxi companies pay for this priviledge)  so she dropped us off at the top of the drive and we walked the 10 min to the Visitor Center. It was an easy walk and we felt it was worth it to save the per person entrance fee we would have had to pay otherwise. 

We stayed about 2 1/2 to 3 hours then called the other company to pick us up at the Visitor Center. We only took a few of the trails and were tired of walking by then so we were glad to be able to have this company pick us up without the additional hike back up the drive and out of the park.  If you like to hike and have the time, you could easily stay there longer. 

The company that picked us up in the park was Juneau Taxi and Tours (907) 723-6323. 

It was about a 25-30 minute drive.

One tip, if you take the path to the waterfall and glacier, there is a path that veers off to the left and you can walk along the "beach".  We took that path back to the Visitor Center after visiting the waterfall and glacier. It has spectacular views of the waterfall and glacier. We wish we had taken that path when walking TOWARDS the glacier instead of staying on the path that went through the dense trees.  The beach path was packed hard dirt and an easy walk. It had rained on our walk to the glacier and the beach was not any wetter/muddier than the gravel path through the trees. 

Taxis were readily available at the pier. We had no problem using a cab. We would do it again. There is also a shuttle bus company that charges $40 per person to ride to and from the pier to Mendenhall Visitor Center. They had several buses running. You can get on and off at each end as you please. You may have to pay the additional entrance fee with that as well though.

• Like 3

On 6/6/2019 at 7:25 AM, Melli56566 said:

any MDR menu pics?

Sorry I do not. I scanned through all the pictures posted over on the Everything...Norwegian Joy Westernization 2019! board topic. These are the menus I found there. Only the Local is complimentary.

American Diner page 15

Ocean Blue p 20

Q  p 20

District Brewhouse p 20

Starbucks p 22

Cellars p 24

The Local p 24 (they also had a "special of the day" each day in addition to this menu)

La Cucina concierge lunch menu p 30

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snagler said:

The fare was about $35 each way. That covered four of us riding in the cab. 

The park only allows certain taxi companies actual access all the way into the park and up to the parking lot by the Visitor Center.  If you take one of those companies, the cab will collect a visitor fee per person on top of that (I can't remember exactly how much....around $12 I think).  If you take a cab company that does not go all the way into the park, you do not have to pay that visitor fee.  The park did not collect it themselves. The cab will drop you off about a 10 minute walk from the visitor center.

We did not know this part when we pre arranged a cab ride with a company that did not take you all the way to the visitor center. (We have National Park passes so we would have not had to pay a fee if the park was collecting it but if you take a cab inside, the cab companies are required to collect the fee even if you have a pass). 

While we were waiting at the dock for our taxi to show up, other taxi companies were there waiting at the dock for anyone to hire them.  One of the drivers explained how his company would be able to enter the park and pick us up at the Visitor Center after we finished our hike.  He gave me his card and said to just call him when we were done and he would be there within 20 min. 

The company we prearranged a ride with to take us to Mendenhall was Glacier Taxi and Tours (907) 796-2300.  They were about 15 minutes late picking us up.  They do not have entrance privileges (apparently the taxi companies pay for this priviledge)  so she dropped us off at the top of the drive and we walked the 10 min to the Visitor Center. It was an easy walk and we felt it was worth it to save the per person entrance fee we would have had to pay otherwise. 

We stayed about 2 1/2 to 3 hours then called the other company to pick us up at the Visitor Center. We only took a few of the trails and were tired of walking by then so we were glad to be able to have this company pick us up without the additional hike back up the drive and out of the park.  If you like to hike and have the time, you could easily stay there longer. 

The company that picked us up in the park was Juneau Taxi and Tours (907) 723-6323. 

It was about a 25-30 minute drive.

One tip, if you take the path to the waterfall and glacier, there is a path that veers off to the left and you can walk along the "beach".  We took that path back to the Visitor Center after visiting the waterfall and glacier. It has spectacular views of the waterfall and glacier. We wish we had taken that path when walking TOWARDS the glacier instead of staying on the path that went through the dense trees.  The beach path was packed hard dirt and an easy walk. It had rained on our walk to the glacier and the beach was not any wetter/muddier than the gravel path through the trees. 

Taxis were readily available at the pier. We had no problem using a cab. We would do it again. There is also a shuttle bus company that charges $40 per person to ride to and from the pier to Mendenhall Visitor Center. They had several buses running. You can get on and off at each end as you please. You may have to pay the additional entrance fee with that as well though.

Great information with lots of needed detail- Thank you.

We are thinking of renting a car for the 6 of us, but if we take a cab for 6 and get dropped off at the top of the drive, we can save some money and enjoy the trails!

On 6/1/2019 at 11:20 AM, Snagler said:

Priority boarding and disembarkation (jwe just left this morning and disembarkation was a breeze with concierge status. Definitely worth it) If you are heading to the Seattle airport I would definitely recommend just grabbing a taxi after you exit the ship. There are plenty of taxis waiting and you bypass the long line of passengers waiting to load luggage and board the buses the ship provides. 

We had private breakfast and lunch dining in La Cucina. No lines or crowds. Wonderful. 

No private bar or lounge though but there are SOOO many bars and lounges on board you have no trouble finding a lively or a quiet one depending on your preference. Bar service was plentiful and never an issue. 

We also had our own concierge guy although we never used him. 

I thought NCL waived room service delivery charges for all “suites”. Has anyone argued this?

FB448F05-3E8B-4EB6-B249-CED6E448AB86.jpeg

Edited by htnut

On 6/2/2019 at 7:44 PM, magicstacey said:

Yes there was a table. Room service was limited to the Continental breakfast unless you wanted to pay. Maybe that will change in the future. 

Enjoy your trip.

Yours was the post I meant to quote when asking about the room service fee supposedly waived for “suite” guests. 

Magicstacey, Which room did you have on the Concierge floor?

9415AC4C-D67F-4BBF-A279-6C9AC930E001.jpeg

3 hours ago, htnut said:

Yours was the post I meant to quote when asking about the room service fee supposedly waived for “suite” guests. 

Magicstacey, Which room did you have on the Concierge floor?

9415AC4C-D67F-4BBF-A279-6C9AC930E001.jpeg

Room 14138.  We called the concierge and we were told we would be charged so we did not try and order room service.  

On 6/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, Rassilon said:

We are on the Joy in a few months for a panama trip and are staying in a Concierge Family room.  I was under the impression that we could start making reservations 130 days out b/c it was considered a suite room.  Is this accurate?  I looked on the website but it still says everything is too early to book.  First time doing a suite type room with NCL so not sure if I'm just missing something.  

Also, for those that have already been on Joy.  Does anyone happen to have any pics of the arcade area?  I've seen quite a few of the VR Pavilion but not much (any) of the regular arcade.  Got two kids traveling with us so folks are excited about the prospect of playing arcade games at sea 🙂

Are you on the October 2019 Los Angeles to Miami crossing?