Should I switch cabins?

MaiTaiMary

We currently have a Mini Suite with balcony on the Getaway.  Deck 13, midship.

The price of our cruise has gone down and we have the opportunity to switch a FAMILY Mini Suite with Balcony.  Deck 12, close to the kid's club.

We are happy with our current cabin and we're close to the rest of the family here.  So I would be fine staying put. However, just seems silly to not upgrade to a larger cabin (with a tub that will be used!), if we can for no extra cost.

Any thoughts? What would you do? I would be interested to hear from somebody who has had a Family Mini Suite in the past and can tell me if the extra square footage really makes a difference.

Thanks. 🙂

Edited by MaiTaiMary

I have been in that situation.  Not in a family suite but similar.  We cruise with friends and normally get 4 or 5 cabins very close together.  That is so convenient when you like to travel in a pack, which we do.   One year, my DH and I decided we wanted a suite which was on a different deck and on the opposite end of the ship.  We were still able to call each others' cabins or text via the cruise line's app but it wasn't quite as convenient as being right beside them.  We found ourselves a little out of the loop and had to catch up to them.  

So now we book suites when we go all by ourselves and book cabins beside our friends when we go with them.  We just don't like to miss out on anything with the friends.  That's just us though.  You might have a totally different experience.  

23 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Family mini-suites aren't any bigger than the normal ones. They just have a tub instead of a shower. If you will use the tub, it might be worthwhile, but otherwise I would stay put.

NCL website says Family Mini Suites are 239 sq. feet and Mini Suites are 207 sq. feet. 

27 minutes ago, MaiTaiMary said:

NCL website says Family Mini Suites are 239 sq. feet and Mini Suites are 207 sq. feet. 

Not sure where you are seeing that.  I see their website showing they are both 239 s.f.

I will definitely double check. Thank you for pointing that out, if I got my measurements wrong. If that's the case, there is no reason to change cabins. The bathtub is the only difference??

Edited by MaiTaiMary

8 minutes ago, MaiTaiMary said:

I will definitely double check. Thank you for pointing that out, if I got my measurements wrong. If that's the case, there is not reason to change cabins. The bathtub is the only difference??

On most NCL ships, the term “family” just means in close proximity to the kids clubs.

4 hours ago, MaiTaiMary said:

I will definitely double check. Thank you for pointing that out, if I got my measurements wrong. If that's the case, there is no reason to change cabins. The bathtub is the only difference??

And may (or may not) have connecting door.

Haven't been in the mini, but have been near the kids club.  You almost certainly do not want to be that close to the kids club.  Children waiting to go into the club or waiting outside the club to go places with the counselors are VERY noisy.  Children running down your hallway to get to and from the club sound VERY disruptive.  You would need that bathtub, because it may be the only place you would be able to get some peace ; )