How do you handle toilet articles?

denmarks

I have eczema prone skin, so carry all of my own toiletries. Generally, the travel sized bottles of shampoo / conditioner / lotion will last me 3 weeks. Sunscreen is a different story. I can usually buy "baby" sunscreen at the embarkation port. If that won't be possible, I check a bag so that I can pack enough sunscreen.  I make and carry my own bar soap, so that isn't an issue.

Another carry-on only cruiser. Except on Norwegian Air, we did check a bag *coming home*. So no large-size ever.

I bought some 3.4oz GoToobs only to discover they were TOO BIG! Just because that is the rule, it is not a requirement to take that much (if not needed). So then I bought some 2oz and THEY were too big. Finally I bought six 1.25oz in five colors (two are clear). I have very short hair that I wash every other day (unless very sweaty, etc), but I do rotate my shampoos every few weeks, or just about how long 1.25oz lasts; for a month I'll take two of the small ones. Plus one for gel, but that could even be smaller, maybe in a GoTubb instead! I like Caress body wash and have a 2oz travel size I fill from the big one at home.

It's pretty amazing how much I can get in a 3-1-1 zippy, by ONLY putting in liquid things, in smaller than 100ml containers where possible. I do slip my travel toothbrush in there just for convenience.

20 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I have traveled extensively for work and found Lush bar shampoo and conditioner are perfect for travel (and at home).  So toothpaste, styling gel and hair spray are the only liquid items - those are travel size.

Yes!!!  I also take Lush bars.  Been using it since 2000.   

I don't have to take large quantities of anything.  100ml is sufficient. I have GoToobs to put stuff in if I need to take from a larger bottle.  I will say that I have an endless supply of travel-size toiletries (including hairspray and shave cream) at my fingertips at work 😉 No, I don't take them - I don't like the scent...   I did take some packets of sunscreen that we had to give out to guests this winter to use this Spring.    I do need large quantities of sunscreen - I'm one of those 1oz per application people.  But, I have yet to go anywhere where I couldn't pick up what I needed.  I'll take a travel tube to get me through the first day and then search.  

I also travel with a carry on.  But, there are times when I'll pack large bottles and check it.  I did this last week.  I somehow forgot to take out my big tube of a hair product that fell to the bottom of my purse after getting it from my stylist.  It wasn't caught on the way to MCO by those diligent and "never miss anything" TSA smurfs at my airport.  I found it later in the week in my bag.  Not wanting to risk losing $45 to the wiley TSA smurfs at MCO, I put it and the rest of my anti-itch lotion in my carry on and checked the bag.  Sure made boarding the plane easier!!!

OT: SbbquilterUT - do you do the weekend quilting getaways by some quilting store down in Orem/Provo?   It's amazing to see 100+ women check into the hotel and we never see them again because they all go down to the conference rooms, set up their machines and quilt all weekend long!  We even bring down food for them so they don't have to leave...

When we cruise for 4 weeks plus hotel stays, sometimes on both ends of our cruise, we take small 100 ml bottles in travel case for the hotel for toothpaste.  Use hotel soap/body wash and shampoo and conditioner.  When we get to our European hotel, we go buy large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, hand wash gel, and body wash gel.  The hotel can tell us where the nearest place to buy.  We then pack these in our large suitcases, wrapped in heavy duty plastic bags.  We do not have space issues, just weight issues in our large suitcases for the airplane.

By the way, it's fun to shop in foreign ports.  We have been to pharmacy like places, and places like Wal-Mart type places.  Its fun to see what items they stock.  Even if the label is in another language, the label shows what it's for, or we ask (sometimes using hand signals to show washing your hands) to make sure the product is what we want.

• Like 1

We have those silicon expandable travel bottles that I can fill with our normal shampoo and some little pill-case sized ones so that I can bring all the creams and cleansers for my fancy Asian Skincare routine with me when I travel (It makes SO much difference...) We travel enough that I've ordered/found a travel size of all Mr. Marvie's shaving stuff, all my cosmetics (or a dupe, I'm not too picky), toothpaste, etc. and they all sit ready to grab and go in our closet so we're ready for adventure at a moment's notice. 

Also, I'm trying to reduce the amount of plastic we use, so the refillable bottles help with that.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 3:48 PM, sparks1093 said:

Sure, if you are taking an around the world cruise.:classic_wink:

Sometimes a travel size is included with regular size items. For example I have a 6 oz Lubriderm that was included.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:08 AM, Essiesmom said:

We use what the ship provides, and collect the hotel amenities from our overnite stay before the cruise.  EM

This what we do as well, saves having to bring our own and fly with them.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:21 PM, DirtyDawg said:

Costco is a good place to get travel sized bottles for your cruise.

😊

On 5/17/2019 at 6:48 PM, sparks1093 said:

Sure, if you are taking an around the world cruise.:classic_wink:

Having just returned from a World Cruise, I can tell you that it takes a LOT of toiletries!  Some products we brought all we needed from home (thank goodness for included unlimited luggage shipment!) and the rest we bought in Fort Lauderdale prior to embarking.

Experience has shown that we cannot always find what we want out of the country, so we always try to have what we need before boarding.

Edited by Lady Chew

We drastically changed what we packed after retirement.  DW actually changed her hair style and products in order to make travel much easier.   We did six months of international land travel, carry on only, and never had an issue with toilet products.  Either packing them or getting them through multiple security checks. We either used what was provided, what we brought (in 100ml bottles).  The only thing I recall us buying was more sunscreen in Australia and toothpaste somewhere else.

Edited by iancal