How do you handle toilet articles?

denmarks

All of the above. We always  have checked luggage on the plane,  so bringing a full size bottle of hairspray or sunscreen,  for instance,  isn't a problem. Other things, like my shampoo and conditioner are decanted into smaller bottles ( still bigger than the carry on limit). I decant hand sanitizer into several travel size bottles so I always have one with me. 

I personally don't take anything that is in a bottle.  Mrs Ldubs has two small fancy bags that go in the luggage (bags in a bag).  She puts all her cosmetic stuff and toiletries in those bags.  She decants into smaller bottles if the original bottle is more than she knows she will need.  I guess to save space.  Though these days we seem to run out of "weight" before we run out of space.  We don't put any liquids in the carry-ons.  

We take regular size bottles of things we use a lot of, Shampoo, Conditioner, hairspray, sunscreen, etc.  I pack them in gallon size zip-lock bags in my luggage in case there is any leakage.  I also pack a larger bottle of hand sanitizer in my checked luggage and carry a small one in my carry on.  I then fill up my small one when I start to run low.  

I would love to not pack shampoo and conditioner, but with Celiac Disease, it's just easier to bring my own supplies that I know are okay rather than deal with taking a chance on the ship provided items.  

Edited by screwsmcernst
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mongo59r said:

We typically have travel size bottles, but add in full size  for things like sunscreen.

"Mongo like beans"  😀

(Sorry - couldn't resist)

We put our absolute favorite items in travel size bottles and containers and try to do carry on only. We also replace some liquid items with solids to ensure that we stay within the TSA rules. So we'll have antibacterial wipes instead of hand sanitizer, suncreen sticks instead of lotion.. etc.

We've never done a 30 day cruise or anything, so would probably pack differently for something like that and also would most likely have to replenish things while in port. But for a 7-10 day or so cruise, travel size is enough for us.

• Like 1

We take a mixture, full sized double wrapped in large cases and travel size in hand luggage.

I like to have a small hand sanitizer and suncream in my bag, I will top these up from the full size ones during the holiday.

If we have restrictions on luggage I sometimes order toiletries to collect at the airport shop  after security screening so you can get full size items that don't get counted in your weigh limit.  Or I buy solid items of shampoo, conditioner and soap instead.

I use 100ml travel sized bottles for shampoo and conditioner, which last me up to four weeks as my hair is short and fine.

I also use plastic pots for eye cream, mosturiser etc to cut down on weight and space as the original glass containers are too heavy and twice the size. 

I take full-sized tubes of sunscreen and body lotion. The hand sanitiser we use comes in refillable 100ml pumps so we top them up before we leave and pack a couple extra just in case.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

I travel a lot for work.

I always check bags.  So I carry larger than travel size, but not full size.  Like my shampoo bottle is about 200 ml.  Enough for several weeks (fairly short hair, but I wash it every day).

I usually take travel size toiletries like toothpaste, conditioner, mousse, etc.  I also take smaller sized cosmetics if I can, or once in a while decant, but for the most part take regular size. we always check bags so a few regular size items, especially sunscreen, go in my husband's suitcase.  

I've found that travel size, or the 3.4 size required by TSA works fine for me for about two weeks.  Sometimes I use the small sizes given out in hotels, especially conditioner, as the ship (and some hotels, lately) offerings are just awful for my hair.  If I run out I have always been able to find replacements in ports.  Shopping in foreign supermarkets/pharmacies is kind of fun!

If we don't pack large sizes, especially sunscreen, we buy in the port city before embarkation.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I practically live out of a suitcase for work reasons, and I love the sample sized bottles...usually the plain ones that I fill with whatever product I enjoy. I never bring full sized anything on any trip, even 2-3 week long trips.

We usually cruise with carry-ons only, so I will pack a couple small travel sized containers of conditioner.  We always fly in the day before a cruise, so we will purchase full sized insect repellant, contact solution, sunscreen, and any other items at a store near our hotel.

Both!

I have HUGE hair that I wash with diluted conditioner, so I need a full-size bottle of conditioner to get through a week-plus of daily washing (don't normally wash daily, but pool/ocean every day makes it necessary). 

I'm a redhead, so multiple full-size containers of sunscreen are required.

Hand lotion and sanitizer are in smaller bottles. 

Toothpaste is either a travel size or slightly larger.  

I always plan ahead if I'm using the Luggage Valet service, so I have toiletries to use the last morning that can stay in my carry-on bag for the flight home (or I just toss out the last little bit of remaining conditioner).  If I'm carrying off my own bags, it's not an issue b/c I don't have to pack up everything the night before, and anything larger can go in my checked bag. 

The only thing we take is 100ml toothpaste (50ml if we are only gone for a month), 100ml of sunscreen, and a tiny hotel size  bottle of shampoo just in case a hotel or B&B does not provide it.   Never an issue for the past 8 years.,

A mix of all of those. I pack a couple of full sized bottles of sunscreen, I pack travel sized hair spray and toothpaste (always have a bunch of free ones from the dentist anyway), I put my shampoo and conditioner into reusable travel sized containers, I use the shower gel provided on the ship.

I pretty much bring anything I use at home....I like my own brands.  We do check bags, so all liquids go there.  It's nearly impossible to pack enough sunscreen into a carry-on baggie....1 oz per adult every 2 hours is recommended....and that 3.4 oz bottle won't last but a day!

• 3 weeks later...