Chef's Table

Hi,

I searched but did not find much on this.  If you have eaten at the Chef's Table did you enjoy it.   I am a foodie and Sailing on the Serenade of the Seas in October and debating booking this. 

We enjoyed the food and especially the wine pairings.  However, we were able to get a 50% discount on the price.  If we didn't enjoy wine pairings and/or they wanted full price, it would not have been worth the cost to us.  I would also have to look at the actual wines being served, because I've seen at least one report that indicated Royal had started serving lower end wines for this.

• Like 2

My wife and I ate ate at the Chef's Table 2 years ago on Adventure of the Seas and will do so again on Harmony this October. We loved it. The food and the wine pairings were excellent. If you are a hard core foodie you may not be that impressed, but I consider myself a medium foodie and I thought it was excellent. Of course different ships may have different experiences, but I highly recommend the experience. 

I have done this on all 8 cruises that we have been on and the menu is always different and the wines have been very good.  The last cruise we were on (Navigator) they served a bottle of Caymus 2014 Special Selection which goes for about $240.00 on the ship.  All the others were great also. On Navigator they served a Chocolate Martini as the dessert which was fantastic

The chocolate martini was to die for. Here are some pictures from our Chef's Table experience. Forgive me as I forgot some of the courses. but some of them were Beef Carpaccio,  Lobster Salad, Filet with Lobster Tail, Smoked Tomato Soup (I think), Scallops, Chocolate Martini and this Chocolate Molten Cake that was the best dessert I ever had in my life.

IMG_3335.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_78ab_zpsun4pzjns.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_78ae_zpsy4igdtam.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_78af_zpsf4nk6jpn.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_78c7_zpskwji6u4p.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_792f_zps7afaqc2d.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_834d_zpsizvkg1k1.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_78a9_zpsayiq6bn0.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We ate at Chef's Table April 13 on Serenade. The food was most excellent. We are not "winers" and didn't get the pairings and received a $25 pp discount on the price. It was next to last night on board, and they were selling all specialty restaurants at a 30% discount at the time.

One of the "winers" mentioned that the pairings were a bit white wine heavy and that they could buy most of the selections fairly cheaply.

2 hours ago, Sobro said:

We ate at Chef's Table April 13 on Serenade. The food was most excellent. We are not "winers" and didn't get the pairings and received a $25 pp discount on the price. It was next to last night on board, and they were selling all specialty restaurants at a 30% discount at the time.

One of the "winers" mentioned that the pairings were a bit white wine heavy and that they could buy most of the selections fairly cheaply.

I didn't realize they offered a "no wine" option.   That could be a good deal for those who don't enjoy the wine pairings.

2 hours ago, Sobro said:

The wines on Serenade TA were unimpressive. 

But somehow I drank more than my share.

Food was decent, company was awesome.

The Radiance ships have a great venue, probably best in the fleet. Not a fan of doing it in an open venue. Seems difficult to have an intimate conversation 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

We enjoyed the food and especially the wine pairings.  However, we were able to get a 50% discount on the price.  If we didn't enjoy wine pairings and/or they wanted full price, it would not have been worth the cost to us.  I would also have to look at the actual wines being served, because I've seen at least one report that indicated Royal had started serving lower end wines for this.

What ship was this?  Were you restricted to a certain night?  Did they offer 50% off or did you have to bargin?

Debating on trying this on Adventure as it seems like a really nice experience.  There is no way I can have 6 glasses of wine but different tastes would be interesting and the food really good....but also quite pricey on cruise planner.

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

What ship was this?  Were you restricted to a certain night?  Did they offer 50% off or did you have to bargin?

Debating on trying this on Adventure as it seems like a really nice experience.  There is no way I can have 6 glasses of wine but different tastes would be interesting and the food really good....but also quite pricey on cruise planner.

This was on Oasis.  A crewmember approached us and I think the offer started at 25% off, first night only. We kept saying no, and walking away, and he eventually got to 50% off.  So the final price was 2 people for $95, gratuity included.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

This was on Oasis.  A crewmember approached us and I think the offer started at 25% off, first night only. We kept saying no, and walking away, and he eventually got to 50% off.  So the final price was 2 people for $95, gratuity included.

That's a great deal....and sounds like they really tried to fill night 1.  Our cruise planner cost is $113 CAD each (not USD).  

15 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

There is no way I can have 6 glasses of wine but different tastes would be interesting and the food really good

The pour is light, I would say maybe 2oz's so it's not like drinking a full glass.

Just now, Swank Pad G said:

The pour is light, I would say maybe 2oz's so it's not like drinking a full glass.

Thanks for clarifying. 😊 Your photos look amazing...really nice experience and great food and wine pairings, and a great evening with meeting new people.  I don't eat meat but looks like they also serve seafood.

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I don't eat meat but looks like they also serve seafood.

They will accommodate you. My wife does not like seafood, so they replaced all seafood dishes with something else. Just let know when you purchase it.

Edited by Swank Pad G
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Swank Pad G said:

The chocolate martini was to die for. Here are some pictures from our Chef's Table experience. Forgive me as I forgot some of the courses. but some of them were Beef Carpaccio,  Lobster Salad, Filet with Lobster Tail, Smoked Tomato Soup (I think), Scallops, Chocolate Martini and this Chocolate Molten Cake that was the best dessert I ever had in my life.

IMG_3335.JPG

I always thought a chef's table was supposed to be in or very near the kitchen so that you could see what the activity is like in the kitchen, but this one looks like it's in the MDR?

Edited by time4u2go

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

I always thought a chef's table was supposed to be in or very near the kitchen, but this one looks like it's in the MDR?

That looks like the aft end of the MDR, which would be near the kitchens.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

That looks like the aft end of the MDR, which would be near the kitchens.

Interesting.  Chef's tables that I've done (which were not on cruise ships) have been in the kitchen.  Part of what we've enjoyed about them is seeing how the kitchen works.

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

I always thought a chef's table was supposed to be in or very near the kitchen, but this one looks like it's in the MDR?

On Adventure it was on the 3rd level a balcony that was separate from the other diners. It was actually a very nice space. Here is another pic from the opposite angle.

IMG_3343.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting.  Chef's tables that I've done (which were not on cruise ships) have been in the kitchen.  Part of what we've enjoyed about them is seeing how the kitchen works.

Haven't seen Royal offering meals in the kitchen, except for maybe as part of the galley tour.

I would prefer the location that was on Oasis, as it was reasonably quiet, with an excellent view outside (for the half of the table facing the windows).  The MDR is too loud for my taste.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

The MDR is too loud for my taste.

On adventure it was hard to hear at times the description of the wines as I was seated at the opposite end of the Sommellier. So yes it was bit noisy.

1 minute ago, Swank Pad G said:

On adventure it was hard to hear at times the description of the wines as I was seated at the opposite end of the Sommellier. So yes it was bit noisy.

Freedom did it in the Jammer. 😱

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Well that helps with my memory.  We did the chef’s table about 10 years ago and I couldn’t remember if it was on Independence or Freedom.  But ours was in a very nice private room, so it couldn’t have been Freedom. It was outstanding! I would very much like to do that again when it’s just DH and I. 

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

In our experience, Windjammer is quieter than the MDR.  No  ra ra speeches, no songs, no dancing, no waving napkins, etc. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

That's a great deal....and sounds like they really tried to fill night 1.  Our cruise planner cost is $113 CAD each (not USD).  

I would love to do chefs table .  Should  have done it several years ago when our dollar wasn't  so low. On one cruise was $99.  Maybe I can snag an acceptable price on board .

• Like 1