ISLAND PRINCESS SAILINGS FOR NOV AND DEC 2020 CANCELLED

tothemall&beyond

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I don't have the info in front of me now but the November 20th cruise will now be the November 22nd cruise on the Island.

Yes, and the TA will now be on 12/6 instead of 12/4. 14 days instead of 16 days. My travel agent confirmed it with Princess. Itineraries will be released after C-O-B on Friday. And while not "finalized" yet, the incentives Princess is going to offer everyone is a big $15 OBC pp. Not $150 - $15!

Edited by tothemall&beyond

My travel agent notified me this morning that the Nov. 6, 2020 cruise was cancelled due to a problem with the shipyard where the maintenance was to be done.  If we change to the Nov. 22 sailing we will receive $150 per cabin, if we switch to any other cruise we will receiver $15 per person for the first two in cabin.  The Nov. 22 sailing is due to go on sale this Friday.  My cruise info still has me sailing Nov. 6. If we don't decide in 30 days, refund will be processed.  Any replacement cruise for OBC must be made by Dec. 31, 2019. 

• Thanks 1

We were booked on the Nov. 6 sailing.  My TA sent the cancellation notice this morning.  If you change to the Nov. 22 sailing, you would receive $15.00 pp obc plus $100 per cabin obc for inside, outside and balcony.  Or $150 for minis or suites.

3 hours ago, tothemall&beyond said:

Yes, and the TA will now be on 12/6 instead of 12/4. 14 days instead of 16 days. My travel agent confirmed it with Princess. Itineraries will be released after C-O-B on Friday. And while not "finalized" yet, the incentives Princess is going to offer everyone is a big $15 OBC pp. Not $150 - $15!

Given that the cruise is more than 18 months away (so no one has incurred flight or hotel fees nor will anyone incur any cancellation fees), I'm surprised Princess is offering any OBC.  I'd be thankful for any amount.

Just saw this post - that's even better!

3 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

We were booked on the Nov. 6 sailing.  My TA sent the cancellation notice this morning.  If you change to the Nov. 22 sailing, you would receive $15.00 pp obc plus $100 per cabin obc for inside, outside and balcony.  Or $150 for minis or suites.

Edited by capriccio

This is the second phase of changes.  I don't think these changes had anything to do with Israel (but no one knows for certain). 

We were on the original long Island cruise that covered a lot of ports in the Med (ROME-ROME), followed by ROME-DUBAI, as it was doing a bit more in the Med and then thru Suez to Dubai, with stop in Jordan for Petra.  We were very interested in this.

Princess cancelled all those when the Island was assigned WC duty for 2021, preceded by a Holiday Caribbean tour out of FLL. 

They changed things to keep the ROME-ROME Med cruise with less ports, followed by a repeat, followed by the TA as I recall. 

Now, they have scuppered those plans and as discussed here have new cruises to fill in the gap from October and get the ship to FLL in time (Dec 20 I for the Holiday Caribbean trip which ends in time for the WC to begin).

We received $15 OBC at the original cancellation.  At the time, we switched over to the REGAL cruise in October that is doing some Med, plus the Suez Canal to Dubai and on to Singapore (it's a repo trip).  This itinerary was not nearly as attractive as Island's original.

I see from posts above, that Princess is again offering $15 token OBC for customers who book their next cruise.  It's just a let down and we hope they bring the intensive itinerary back some day in future.  But since no monies were spent that far out on hotels, flights, etc, cannot really expect any compensation at all.  So $15 each... whatever.

I was also watching the Island Med cruises in Nov and they are flagged as no good in my favorites list now, so I deleted them.  Guess I could have had another $15 if we had kept the ROME-ROME cruise.  LOL.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Given that the cruise is more than 18 months away (so no one has incurred flight or hotel fees nor will anyone incur any cancellation fees), I'm surprised Princess is offering any OBC.  I'd be thankful for any amount.

Just saw this post - that's even better!

Not true. Some of us do have other plans that linked into our Princess cruise. Maybe not air or hotel, but other reservations, like our Norwegian coastal cruise that precedes our TA. Also, most recent pricing for the TA was much higher than the price at which we booked. By several hundred dollars pp. So there is indeed a real pecuniary loss involved. Never understand people who are so quick to always defend Princess.

Edited by tothemall&beyond
  • Haha 1

In the past , Princess has protected pricing when they have had to change dates. But since the TA is now 2 days shorter, you should be offered a reduced price that is on par with your current per night price.  It’s not clear to me if Princess has said they are moving bookings over and protecting those cabins before they release them to the general public.

You do have a bit of a quandary, as you have other plans to dovetail into this.  But at least the change wasn’t for two days earlier, which really could mess with your prior cruise dates.  Only you can decide if the change is worthwhile for your needs, or if you would rather do something else entirely.  

2 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

In the past , Princess has protected pricing when they have had to change dates. But since the TA is now 2 days shorter, you should be offered a reduced price that is on par with your current per night price.  It’s not clear to me if Princess has said they are moving bookings over and protecting those cabins before they release them to the general public.

You do have a bit of a quandary, as you have other plans to dovetail into this.  But at least the change wasn’t for two days earlier, which really could mess with your prior cruise dates.  Only you can decide if the change is worthwhile for your needs, or if you would rather do something else entirely.  

Precisely. And thank you!

I am also on the November 6 sailing and I cancelled myself from a cruise that is now SOLD OUT in order to go on the Holy Land cruise, so I am beyond disappointed.  We received an e-mail from Princes saying "Due to an incident at the Grand Bahamas shipyard, Island Princess' scheduled maintenance period has changed and as a result your 14-day Mediterranean and Israel voyage departing November 6 has been cancelled."  That explanation makes no sense to me.  The email offered us an incentive to book the November 22 Israel trip but, based on the comments I'm seeing here, I am wondering if that one is even going to take place?  At any rate, November 22 is too late in the year for us.

3 minutes ago, michllsmom said:

I am also on the November 6 sailing and I cancelled myself from a cruise that is now SOLD OUT in order to go on the Holy Land cruise, so I am beyond disappointed.  We received an e-mail from Princes saying "Due to an incident at the Grand Bahamas shipyard, Island Princess' scheduled maintenance period has changed and as a result your 14-day Mediterranean and Israel voyage departing November 6 has been cancelled."  That explanation makes no sense to me.  The email offered us an incentive to book the November 22 Israel trip but, based on the comments I'm seeing here, I am wondering if that one is even going to take place?  At any rate, November 22 is too late in the year for us.

didn't stop the dry / wet dock for the CB for 30 days ... j/s

2 hours ago, michllsmom said:

Oasis of the Seas had an accident at the dock there and it needs to be repaired. They're moving the drydock date and I assume doing it now in Europe. 

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

didn't stop the dry / wet dock for the CB for 30 days ... j/s

They probably scheduled repairs at the shipyard and cancelled all drydocks for that time or are shuffling up the times and they just decided to do it in Europe instead. 

Here is the notice from Princess:

———————

Thank you for your attention to this notification.
Please be advised that due to an incident at the Grand Bahamas shipyard in Freeport, Bahamas, Island Princess' scheduled maintenance period has been changed, and as a result your client's 14-day Mediterranean & Israel voyage departing Friday, November 6, 2020 has been cancelled. Should your clients decide to rebook to any other voyage, they will receive an onboard credit of USD $15 per person (credit applies to first two guests on the booking; replacement cruise must be booked by December 31, 2019), and you will receive bonus commission of USD $25. Guests who move to Island Princess' 14-day Mediterranean & Israel voyage departing on Sunday, November 22, 2020 (on sale Friday, May 24, 2019) will be given additional OBC (per stateroom): $100 for inside, oceanview and balcony staterooms and $150 for mini-suites and suites. We will be reaching out to you to discuss your clients' plans, or you may contact us. If we do not hear from you within 30 days, we will process a refund of any payments received to the original form of payment. We sincerely apologize for any disappointment this cancellation may cause.

42 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

I read that the Nov. 22 itinerary was going to be posted today (Friday, May 24), but nothing is there.  Will it be the same itinerary as Nov. 6?  Anyone know??

It's early on the west coast still, usually they go on sale around 9 or 10 am Pacific time. 

Update: Those who were on the now-cancelled Dec 4, 2020 TA were not offered any OBC's beyond the $15 pp to re-book the new, shortened version. I guess corporate made a decision to only compensate people who were on the more expensive Med cruises. Also, on the new version of the cruise, they eliminated 2 ports (Livorno and Lisbon), but the port fees only went down by $5. They did, however, at least make the fare for the shortened TA commensurate with the per diem on the previous iteration.