Aurora new obstructed view cabins

mike x ftc

So we've just been allocated our cabins, D189, D191 and D193 and I was a bit disappointed to see they were obstructed,  however, they are shown as 'larger' cabins and we are all together which is a bonus.  I know they are new cabins so this may be a long shot but does anyone have any info (or dare I ask photo's??)  on these cabins.  I wonder just how obstructed they are?

22 minutes ago, mike x ftc said:

So we've just been allocated our cabins, D189, D191 and D193 and I was a bit disappointed to see they were obstructed,  however, they are shown as 'larger' cabins and we are all together which is a bonus.  I know they are new cabins so this may be a long shot but does anyone have any info (or dare I ask photo's??)  on these cabins.  I wonder just how obstructed they are?

If you check the deck plans you will see there are lifeboats obstructing the windows, but I have no idea how severe this is.

54 minutes ago, mike x ftc said:

Whilst I have no knowledge of these cabins, we often sit in the Glasshouse along the outer edge, on exactly the same elevation as these cabins. The lifeboats obscure any outlook completely, so I fear it may be the same with these cabins. You would get natural light but no view - other than in tender ports. 

Thanks for the replies, I had a flick through my photos from the Aurora Christmas cruise photos to see if there were any of us in the glass house and I think you are right - it's going to be a bit dark!! 

We went on a ship visit to Aurora late summer and we had considered booking one of these new cabins for a future cruise, but the expected offer of OBC, (as people had reported from previous years), did not happen and they were only offering a reduced deposit, so we did not book the cruise.

However we had managed to sidle off for a short time from the onerous tour of just some parts of the ship that P&O had designated as places we should see to look at the position and windows at that point.  From what I could make out the windows that were there then would be one window to each cabin, so I assume they will stay.  They were/are very big windows and yes, there are lifeboats outside.  A couple of those cabins would have a better view than the others, but I cannot remember which ones.  We have often booked restricted view cabins and find them very good and if you look out at an angle you can often get a very good view.  You just have to ignore the structural parts of the ship which are also visible which you tend to do very quickly.  I would be very happy to book one of those cabins if we ever did book a cruise on Aurora, though TBH we found the ship very dark and enclosed with little view/natural light in the public areas.  This was very obvious compared to smaller ships we normally travel on (various cruise lines) that are light and airy by comparison, so not likely to go for Aurora.  We have travelled on both Oceana and Oriana and did not feel "shut in" on those ships.

P&O have images of obstructed view cabins on there FAQ's.  There were not any for those when we went on the ship (but they were not cabins then), but may be worth looking now, or if not asking P&O if they can supply.  They seem willing to do so with the other cabins, so may not have thought of taking pictures of those new ones. 

Edited by tring

Thanks for your reply, we've had obstructed windows on Arcadia a couple of times and loved them!  We do like Aurora but I get what you mean about feeling enclosed.  But thanks for pointing me to FAQ's - bingo! - they do in fact have photo's of the views from the cabins, they are large windows but they are all pretty much blocked by lifeboats, there seems to a good bit of light coming in from the top though - good enough for what we paid.

Thanks for your help.  

1 hour ago, mike x ftc said:

Thanks for your reply, we've had obstructed windows on Arcadia a couple of times and loved them!  We do like Aurora but I get what you mean about feeling enclosed.  But thanks for pointing me to FAQ's - bingo! - they do in fact have photo's of the views from the cabins, they are large windows but they are all pretty much blocked by lifeboats, there seems to a good bit of light coming in from the top though - good enough for what we paid.

Thanks for your help.  

The level of obstruction can vary enormously by ship and by cabin within ships. We have seen some obstructed cabins where the obstruction is quite minor but, as I’ve said, if the adjacent Glasshouse is anything to go by (and I suspect it is) you won’t have any view at all, just natural light that you wouldn’t get with an inside cabin. If you go with that in mind then anything better than that will come as a welcome surprise. Better that than to be disappointed. We’ve been on 7 cruises on Aurora and the only place we found to be dark was a central section of the restaurant. No issues anywhere else. 

On our recent cruise on Aurora we were told that the new obs cabins were very obstructed. However they are slightly larger than the other large outside cabins. We were also informed that photos would appear on the website in due course.

• 4 years later...
On 5/21/2019 at 6:32 PM, mike x ftc said:

Hi Mike, it's a few years on but we've just booked these cabins on the basis that they're supposed to be larger and the price was good. What did you think of them? Was there much natural light? Were the rooms noticeably bigger? Any pics at all? Thanks. 

5 hours ago, paulatsea said:

How have they made room for the new cabins and how many are there ?

When were they put in ? 
I didn’t know about these.

Aft end of D Deck. There are 11 balcony cabins, 4 outside and 4 inside. Six of the balcony cabins are singles.

I think they were installed in 2019 when Oriana was sold.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Aft end of D Deck. There are 11 balcony cabins, 4 outside and 4 inside. Six of the balcony cabins are singles.

I think they were installed in 2019 when Oriana was sold.

I think you’re correct with the date, we sailed on her in 2018 with our grandson.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cardiff girl said:

Hi Mike, it's a few years on but we've just booked these cabins on the basis that they're supposed to be larger and the price was good. What did you think of them? Was there much natural light? Were the rooms noticeably bigger? Any pics at all? Thanks. 

HI, they are definitely larger, they are a bit strange as they have just added the standard cabin fittings, they are just oddly spaced out!  They could have made much better use of the space or made them family cabins.  It was great to have the extra space but they are dark, there is no natural light at all from the window, you can't see anything except the lifeboat, just a slight glimpse of the promenade deck below.  I don't have any photos i'm afraid, maybe someone else has??  They are definitely much larger than any standard cabin I have ever stayed in.  I hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mike x ftc said:

HI, they are definitely larger, they are a bit strange as they have just added the standard cabin fittings, they are just oddly spaced out!  They could have made much better use of the space or made them family cabins.  It was great to have the extra space but they are dark, there is no natural light at all from the window, you can't see anything except the lifeboat, just a slight glimpse of the promenade deck below.  I don't have any photos i'm afraid, maybe someone else has??  They are definitely much larger than any standard cabin I have ever stayed in.  I hope that helps.

Thanks, Mike.

So there's just standard fittings with a space in the middle? As you say, a missed opportunity.

If they're that dark I might ask if we can swap, though I've already paid for obstructed on early saver so they've no obligation to change us.

Anyone know if P&O might be helpful if I rang them? Thanks.