Buying platinum coverage before final payment

peanutter

Maybe I'm confused - wouldn't be the first time - but can't one buy Princess insurance before final payment is due?

I booked online last night for cruise in October using a FCD.  Made a $200 payment online today (insurance is $155 or so).  Emailed PCC to be sure dollars went to insurance instead of cruise fare. She told me twice that this can't be done. Can only pay for insurance at final payment date.  

I could swear I've done it before. It's not a huge deal but I would like to start the look back period for pre existing conditions. 

Am I confusing Princess policy with another line's?

She is wrong.

Yes - you can buy insurance at anytime of the booking until final payment. And you are also right on the look back period.

Though - I am not sure if they can change the money applied to the cruise vs insurance. It needs to be applied to insurance.

I would call back and ask for a supervisor if you get the same answer.

Edited by Coral

I agree, we’ve done this before.  Although proving the date payment was made towards insurance can be problematic if you ever need to make a claim.  It’s hard to show and pre existing conditions that show up after insurance payment but before the cruise can be an issue.  

But what you were told is news to me.

Thank you both.  I'll give them a call. 

It was so strange of an answer from her as I thought she had been the one that set this up for us before. Maybe they can access different system screens when booking a cruise from scratch versus modifying after the fact.  

1 minute ago, arubaaruba said:

In order for the policy to be in effect, the cruise needs to paid in full. There would be no benefit to paying for the insurance before final payment. 

There are benefits to paying for it before final payment. A few that I can think of.

What does the insurance cover prior to final payment when all your money is refundable until final payment is due? I have only ever had to use insurance when I passed final payment. I am just curious. I have only ever used insurance on another cruise line and it was because I had a non refundable deposit on a suite. I had to pay in full to make insurance policy valid then cancel and file a claim for full amount less the cost of the insurance. 

8 minutes ago, arubaaruba said:

What does the insurance cover prior to final payment when all your money is refundable until final payment is due? I have only ever had to use insurance when I passed final payment. I am just curious. I have only ever used insurance on another cruise line and it was because I had a non refundable deposit on a suite. I had to pay in full to make insurance policy valid then cancel and file a claim for full amount less the cost of the insurance. 

Two reasons I can think of is if the deposit is non-refundable. Someone may have to make a 10% non-refundable deposit on an expensive cruise. Insurance covers that.

And what the OP wants is to start the look back period which is 60 days. If you have a controlled medical issue or no medical issue, you can buy insurance and you are covered as long as there is no medical changes in your condition over the past 60 days. An example would be blood pressure medicine. If you have your blood pressure controlled with medication and it has been stable for 60 days, you can purchase the insurance and have this condition covered for the trip. Otherwise, if the week before final payment, your blood pressure spikes and you see the doctor, then make final payment and pay for insurance, they may not cover a heart condition on the trip or a stroke. So the goal is to buy insurance when you are well and have been for the past 60 days and have this covered. 

Another example would be if you break your hand before final payment. You can go on the cruise and you pay for insurance. If something happens to that broken hand on the trip (you re-injury it?)  and you seek medical advice and file a claim, they may call this pre-existing condition because your hand was broken when you paid for insurance.

A lot can happen between deposit and final payment. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arubaaruba said:

My intent was to have the 60 day look back period for preexisting conditions begin now instead of from final payment.  Just in case some health issue should crop up between now and then, thereby possibly disqualifying us from coverage. 

2 minutes ago, arubaaruba said:

That makes sense about the medical if you have a condition that you are concerned about. I had to pay in full to get a non refundable deposit back though. Must work differently with Princess. Good to know. 

Also realize that you may develop a pre-existing condition between deposit and final payment. One never knows.

I book with an agent who covers pre-existing condition at final payment for 3rd party insurance. Most pre-existing condition waivers apply to 3rd party policies that must be purchased within 14-21 days of cruise deposit. Princess has their look back period.

Edited by Coral

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Two reasons I can think of is if the deposit is non-refundable. Someone may have to make a 10% non-refundable deposit on an expensive cruise. Insurance covers that.

And what the OP wants is to start the look back period which is 60 days. If you have a controlled medical issue or no medical issue, you can buy insurance and you are covered as long as there is no medical changes in your condition over the past 60 days. An example would be blood pressure medicine. If you have your blood pressure controlled with medication and it has been stable for 60 days, you can purchase the insurance and have this condition covered for the trip. Otherwise, if the week before final payment, your blood pressure spikes and you see the doctor, then make final payment and pay for insurance, they may not cover a heart condition on the trip or a stroke. So the goal is to buy insurance when you are well and have been for the past 60 days and have this covered. 

Another example would be if you break your hand before final payment. You can go on the cruise and you pay for insurance. If something happens to that broken hand on the trip (you re-injury it?)  and you seek medical advice and file a claim, they may call this pre-existing condition because your hand was broken when you paid for insurance.

A lot can happen between deposit and final payment. 

What Coral said! Thanks for the well fleshed out answer. 

2 minutes ago, peanutter said:

What Coral said! Thanks for the well fleshed out answer. 

I feel like a rambler at times :) I had a parent with pre-existing conditions.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arubaaruba said:

In order for the policy to be in effect, the cruise needs to paid in full. There would be no benefit to paying for the insurance before final payment. 

If you have pre-existing conditions you can pay it when you book your cruise.  You don't have to wait until final payment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last year we made our final payment on January 29 for both the cruise and insurance.  On January 27 my Husband had a Doctor's appointment that resulted weeks later in a decision in late February to do major back surgery the first week in April--not even close to the "day surgery procedure" we were expecting.  We had to postpone our April cruise until August.  We thought because of the Dr note and the fact that there were many tests in February before a decision was made that we were good.  Our claim was denied as they considered it a pre existing condition since his first appointment was two days before the final payment.  We still received a partial refund and the rest in cruise credit which we applied to our next cruise.  This year we waited until it had been 60 days after any and all appointments and paid for the insurance when we were clear of anything that could be deemed pre existing.

just as an fyi....there are two policies you can buy at final payment that have the pre existing "waiver" .

Nationwide Choice Cruise and there is a CSA one too.

Thanks for clearing something up for.  I always thought the look back started date of travel coverage...not at payment. Good to know!

36 minutes ago, JoAnneNYI said:

just as an fyi....there are two policies you can buy at final payment that have the pre existing "waiver" .

Thanks for clearing something up for.  I always thought the look back started date of travel coverage...not at payment. Good to know!

Buffalo? Berrrr How about those Bills? Wife and I grew up in Buffalo. Moved to Florida in 72 No more keeping that snow blower working. Two seasons in Buffalo. Winter and the 4th of July 🙂  But you already know that. As for the insurance. We have a bank of America Premium Rewards Card. it cost is $95.00 a year. Get 2% back for charging the vacation on it. The insurance is awesome that is included with it. Covers an unbelievable amount of problems that might occurred. $5000 pp on the vacation. Cruise, air lines no matter. Your cruise or travel cancellation cannot be just because you changed your mind. Just about any other reason includes death in the family. The list is long. Might want to see if any charge card you have includes travel insurance. This does not cover medical. However, if you must cancel due to a medical problem. If you are on the ship and you must return home because of a medical problem. It does cover that. If you cancel with the cruise line and you do not get full reimbursement. They give you the difference. Just a suggestion.

49 minutes ago, JoAnneNYI said:

My agent offers an Allianz one that is really good. So I go with that one.

• Haha 1

My dad will be cruising with us next summer.  We have paid the deposit and booked Princess platinum insurance.  He was recently fitted with a pacemaker (for irregular heartbeat) and is stable medically, but I'm wondering if he should prepay his insurance in advance?  People here are mentioning pre-existing conditions and a 60 day "lookback" period?  Any advice appreciated. 

17 hours ago, peanutter said:

Maybe I'm confused - wouldn't be the first time - but can't one buy Princess insurance before final payment is due?

A few recent posts have hinted at this, but you should definitely look at third party insurance.  Most offer more coverage for less money than Princess.  Plus, most offer pre-existing condition waivers if you purchase within a few weeks of your initial deposit.  So you don't need to worry about look back periods as long as you are medically able to travel on the day you buy the plan. As others have stated, some even offer pre-existing condition waivers if you purchase by final payment date. The other plus is they cover things that you might not purchase through Princess such as airfare, private shore excursions and pre/post cruise hotel stays.  You did not mention your age, but one caveat of third party insurance is it is age dependent, while Princess is not. If you are over 75-80, Princess sometimes has the better deal.

My suggestion is to read through some of the posts on the Cruise Travel Insurance boards at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

You might also want to look at the subforum at the top.  Then call one of the recommended brokers.  We have been very happy with tripinsurancestore.com.  Explain your needs and they will offer recommendations.  Others brokers also get high marks on that forum.  Good luck and let us know what you ended up doing. 

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rocklinmom said:

My dad will be cruising with us next summer.  We have paid the deposit and booked Princess platinum insurance.  He was recently fitted with a pacemaker (for irregular heartbeat) and is stable medically, but I'm wondering if he should prepay his insurance in advance?  People here are mentioning pre-existing conditions and a 60 day "lookback" period?  Any advice appreciated. 

See my post just after yours.  Same advice.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

You understand an important difference here. You booked Princess platinum insurance but didn't pay for it  yet. Yes - it is correct that you must pay for Princess insurance (not just add it) to start the look back period.

Jersey42 did give you some good advice.

You also raise an important point. Your dad probably didn't need a pacemaker or maybe didn't know of his condition when you booked the cruise but between cruise and final payment - things happen. 

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

OP - keep an eye on the calendar as your clock is ticking now that you've booked the cruise, so if you go with private insurance, you may only have (2 weeks?) from originally booking to get that preexisting exemption, depending on the insurance purchased.

We also booked yesterday - instructed the Princess rep that we would pay the mandatory cabin deposit plus platinum insurance immediately and there was no trouble in getting this done (it's amazing how unexpectedly medical issues can pop up either for you OR a parent/child that can trigger the need to cancel a trip).  Agree with the comment above - if you want the platinum, call PCC back, and ask for supervisor if they can't get it done. 

Yay you for getting insurance!! 😃

22 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

OP - keep an eye on the calendar as your clock is ticking now that you've booked the cruise, so if you go with private insurance, you may only have (2 weeks?) from originally booking to get that preexisting exemption, depending on the insurance purchased.

We also booked yesterday - instructed the Princess rep that we would pay the mandatory cabin deposit plus platinum insurance immediately and there was no trouble in getting this done (it's amazing how unexpectedly medical issues can pop up either for you OR a parent/child that can trigger the need to cancel a trip).  Agree with the comment above - if you want the platinum, call PCC back, and ask for supervisor if they can't get it done. 

Yay you for getting insurance!! 😃

if you make a designated payment for insurance, do you get that money back if you cancel prior to final payment?