My View: 14 Days of Chasing the Sun on Seaside

APDMOM

19 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Really enjoying your review...and seem like you're enjoying too!

I happened to be looking at your post when my 9 year old came by , and the pictures of the water fun caught her eye.  She asked if we could go on Seaside as it looks like tons of fun!  We then also watched a video...seems quite impressive for a ship.  Looks like a really nice ship overall.

Hi, LuCruise!

I can definitely recommend it, and you can not beat the price point for a 2 week cruise.  This week, our cruise cost $105 per person, per day.  Next year, we have 2 x14-day stretches booked.  The first is $100 per person per day, and the second is $103 per person per day.  When we compare this with our average cost for balconies on Royal Caribbean and NCL, it is a savings of about $25 to $35 per person, per day.  My husband has already decided this is his new favorite cruise ship!  🙂

Evening Show: The Wizard

We missed this one last week, and attended this week without a reservation.  It had very similar acts to “Fly”, but not as good, in my opinion.  The music was not as entertaining and the choreography was not as good.  For example, the zombies block your view of the stage act when they walk and stumble down the aisle, and at one point the dancers block a majority of the dance act of the couple on roller skates.  I think a choreographer needs to sit in at least 8 different areas of the audience to see what the impact of the movement of actors and dancers will be.  Ironically, we had good seats, but were still unable to see a few of the highlights.

B6EA9D0F-403A-4C75-86F6-BE29DF0CE895.thumb.jpeg.fa2adbac3f4b78bb3c24a6512424d35f.jpeg

C1192BAD-B4AA-4997-A07A-51D979113CB7.thumb.jpeg.0840126de1edfe8d2c8d37e552609a9d.jpeg

4D94A5B5-88F3-4853-8DEC-9628DF6F1CF6.thumb.jpeg.7940a2c7e9eaeabb2c99232b28c43492.jpeg

6B776FCB-3C9F-4E9D-BDDB-C172C92FE1F7.thumb.jpeg.7ed3bec0921222cd0205357ce65a5683.jpeg

A24F5580-F265-4759-8A04-EFA391D4A518.jpeg

Edited by APDMOM
typo

Chris, performing in the Atrium:

0F3C4D9D-9A76-4334-8752-F4BD535B3DB8.thumb.jpeg.a3e6f45ea718118cc49b675bae7ba79b.jpeg

15FE817B-E277-4676-A5DD-AFBA1BDAF7A4.thumb.jpeg.f543baf17edbed5231a0ae1fe4247097.jpeg

The Romantic Gatsby:

DB6B4E02-5EC3-4FE0-83C8-693D5F7E8FC5.thumb.jpeg.0dbfecdbd5c2ff6e596c08c64f5cd177.jpeg

E83EC74A-2F91-4947-8691-DF45A61F91EE.thumb.jpeg.4cc2721ba75728fc7afc99cdbb795330.jpeg

3CC85B84-9ED2-44DB-AAB5-323E552D3D35.thumb.jpeg.b9a8b8a9a006d0928acedeca934ca17a.jpeg

This is a 5-10 minute performance in the Atrium to prepare the crowd for the Gatsby party.

1 hour ago, APDMOM said:

Hi, LuCruise!

I can definitely recommend it, and you can not beat the price point for a 2 week cruise.  This week, our cruise cost $105 per person, per day.  Next year, we have 2 x14-day stretches booked.  The first is $100 per person per day, and the second is $103 per person per day.  When we compare this with our average cost for balconies on Royal Caribbean and NCL, it is a savings of about $25 to $35 per person, per day.  My husband has already decided this is his new favorite cruise ship!  🙂

Oh wow...that's awesome...both the pricing and that you even have 2 booked next year.  On Seaside as well?  That is a huge difference.  We love Royal and have to say the "points" gets you (esp as we won't be "too" far from Diamond after we complete our booked cruises) but Seaside does look great too...and as mentioned, our kids would love that water area.  Definitely something to consider and compare pricing.  Royal cruises seems to be going up and up in cost.  Guess its due to all the amplifications they are doing, the private island, and they seem to keep adding ships to their fleet.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoying your updates! We’re on the same cruise in October so your info on turnaround day was so helpful. I did have a couple of questions though. You mentioned sight lines at the last show. Do you typically sit in the center for the shows or on the sides, and mezzanine or balcony? Also, does the Sports Bar offer any food? On the Divina, they had complimentary snacks like wings, mozza sticks, hot dogs and burgers. I’m guessing not because no one has mentioned it. One more....what were the options for your complimentary Black Card dining and did you only get one over the 2 week period? On the Divina last year we got 2 but our cruises were booked as 2 cruises, not 1. Thanks so much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzlover said:

Thoroughly enjoying your updates! We’re on the same cruise in October so your info on turnaround day was so helpful. I did have a couple of questions though. You mentioned sight lines at the last show. Do you typically sit in the center for the shows or on the sides, and mezzanine or balcony? Also, does the Sports Bar offer any food? On the Divina, they had complimentary snacks like wings, mozza sticks, hot dogs and burgers. I’m guessing not because no one has mentioned it. One more....what were the options for your complimentary Black Card dining and did you only get one over the 2 week period? On the Divina last year we got 2 but our cruises were booked as 2 cruises, not 1. Thanks so much!

Sports bar doesn't have any complimentary food options. The wings and such are all for a charge, although it's not a lot..

Black Card dinner is either Ocean Cay, Butcher's Cut, Pan Asian Market or Sushi. And you choose from the Experience dining menu, 1 app, 1 main, 1 dessert per person... It's more limited choices than the main menus, but lots of options regardless. 

Hope that helps (sorry, jumped in on the OPs thread!)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Sports bar doesn't have any complimentary food options. The wings and such are all for a charge, although it's not a lot..

Black Card dinner is either Ocean Cay, Butcher's Cut, Pan Asian Market or Sushi. And you choose from the Experience dining menu, 1 app, 1 main, 1 dessert per person... It's more limited choices than the main menus, but lots of options regardless. 

Thanks! All replies are welcome 😊

• Like 1

Wow! Thank you for the amazingly detailed day-by-day review.  It is great reading so much positivity and excitement for this cruise.  I've read many other reviews that seem less enthusiastic and was getting worried.  But your pictures, your humor, and your experiences have shed the light I look for in cruising.  For me, it's all about hanging out and experiencing what the ships has to offer.  Enjoy it all as it comes along.  I really cannot wait for our Christmas cruise on the Seaside.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  I hope you get on the zip line too!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Quick question.  We are on the same itinerary (your second week) in August.  1 week Eastern Caribbean.  Have been on the cruise before. So this will be our second time.  We purchased the Trio dinner package before they removed the selection. We then became matched to black card status.  So we have two cabins, each of use is black.  And I am positive that my sons will not want to use the extra night in the specialty restaurants, so planning on hitting the restaurant for 5 nights. LOL.  One think I would love to do would be to do the Tepenaki one night with the Trio.  Do you know if they give you to option to upgrade the package to include that when you are on board? 

5 hours ago, Chriskolb said:

We then became matched to black card status.  So we have two cabins, each of use is black.   And I am positive that my sons will not want to use the extra night in the specialty restaurants, so planning on hitting the restaurant for 5 nights. LOL

I would just check with the restaurant beforehand that this would work.  While they provide a paper voucher for the black card dinner, actually it is not needed and you just give the restaurant your cruise card or wristband.   I'm not sure if this means there is an electronic voucher (so you might need your sons card) or if it is all manual (in which case if you explain to a friendly waiter it might be allowed).

8 hours ago, Chriskolb said:

Quick question.  We are on the same itinerary (your second week) in August.  1 week Eastern Caribbean.  Have been on the cruise before. So this will be our second time.  We purchased the Trio dinner package before they removed the selection. We then became matched to black card status.  So we have two cabins, each of use is black.  And I am positive that my sons will not want to use the extra night in the specialty restaurants, so planning on hitting the restaurant for 5 nights. LOL.  One think I would love to do would be to do the Tepenaki one night with the Trio.  Do you know if they give you to option to upgrade the package to include that when you are on board? 

I'm not sure of your question other than it sounds like you have two rooms with black status which is four people can get black meal.  No to upgrading to Teppanyaki.  Seaside has specialties open for lunch on sea days so that is an option.

8 hours ago, Chriskolb said:

You cannot upgrade to Teppenayaki.  Also, from what you are saying, your sons are black status and receive a meal for their cabin but will not use it so you plan on using the voucher? Right?  I don't think that will work either since it is not transferable.  Either your sons use the black card dinner they received or they lose it, they cannot give it to you.  When on the Divina, we did not even need the voucher, we used our card. Correct me if I am wrong and not understanding what you are saying.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Oh wow...that's awesome...both the pricing and that you even have 2 booked next year.  On Seaside as well?  That is a huge difference.  We love Royal and have to say the "points" gets you (esp as we won't be "too" far from Diamond after we complete our booked cruises) but Seaside does look great too...and as mentioned, our kids would love that water area.  Definitely something to consider and compare pricing.  Royal cruises seems to be going up and up in cost.  Guess its due to all the amplifications they are doing, the private island, and they seem to keep adding ships to their fleet.

In that case, I would recommend you keep working on that diamond status.  There is still nothing that compares with the benefits you get with Royal Caribbean diamond and Celebrity elite status.  It is a toss up whether you should try to status match now, or wait.  I believe status match with MSC will go away once they break into the American market.  They are already doing well in this area and I believe they may come close to meeting their goal.  Maybe status match one of your family members to gold on MSC, then wait to match the other when you have diamond.  That way, if status match goes away you can at least have gold on MSC.  You just have to cruise once every 3 years on MSC to keep the status.  

I will try to ask at Captain’s corner if they plan on keeping the status match.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cruzlover said:

@reedprincess, thank you for helping out with the replies!  Definitely helpful, as our internet was spotty yesterday and I did not know about the sports bar.  Very good to know.

@cruzlover, I will try to find out the prices of the snacks in the sports bar.

As for the shows:  we typically sit on the edge in the middle aisle, about 8-10 rows from the front.  On that particular show, we sat at the aisle on the right side, as the center aisle seats had been mostly taken.  There were still some center aisle seats available, but DH is 6’4”, so he does not want to sit in front of a row where people are already seated.  We figure if they choose to sit behind him, it is up to them.  But if people are already seated, he will not sit in front of them because they would not have a choice but to move, which would not be fair.  

However, I believe the rollings skates act would have been blocked even in the center aisle.  It is repeated in a later show, so it is not the worst problem.  However, they should take center stage, with others in the background, not the foreground and the aisles.

As for black card dining, we received another invitation this week and are booked in Ocean Cay for Thursday.  We will therefore have 2 opportunities, one for each week.  Unfortunately, Teppanyaki is not included, which would have been our #1 choice.  

9 hours ago, rh1677 said:

Wow! Thank you for the amazingly detailed day-by-day review.  It is great reading so much positivity and excitement for this cruise.  I've read many other reviews that seem less enthusiastic and was getting worried.  But your pictures, your humor, and your experiences have shed the light I look for in cruising.  For me, it's all about hanging out and experiencing what the ships has to offer.  Enjoy it all as it comes along.  I really cannot wait for our Christmas cruise on the Seaside.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  I hope you get on the zip line too!

Thank you for your feedback!  I think I will table the zipline for next year.  I did not bring a harness for my camera, and it is required.  I would not want to do that without getting great pictures from that high up.  😁

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

I'm not sure of your question other than it sounds like you have two rooms with black status which is four people can get black meal.  No to upgrading to Teppanyaki.  Seaside has specialties open for lunch on sea days so that is an option.

1 hour ago, ready2cruzagain said:

You cannot upgrade to Teppenayaki.  Also, from what you are saying, your sons are black status and receive a meal for their cabin but will not use it so you plan on using the voucher? Right?  I don't think that will work either since it is not transferable.  Either your sons use the black card dinner they received or they lose it, they cannot give it to you.  When on the Divina, we did not even need the voucher, we used our card. Correct me if I am wrong and not understanding what you are saying.

Thanks to both of you for answering this question.  I did not know the answer about upgrading.

As for the complimentary meal, we just told the hostess it is for the complimentary, and she asked for our cabin number.  So, the black card meal is connected to your stateroom number. 

3 hours ago, APDMOM said:

As for black card dining, we received another invitation this week and are booked in Ocean Cay for Thursday.  We will therefore have 2 opportunities, one for each week.  Unfortunately, Teppanyaki is not included, which would have been our #1 choice.  

Awesome! I was hoping that was the case. I know the menu options are limited for the Black Card complimentary dinner. I would love to see the menus if you get a chance. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chriskolb said:

For the Trio Dining package - you can't upgrade to the Teppenyaki, unfortunately. It's the three restaurants only, ie Ocean Cay, Butcher's Cut, and Pan Asian Market.. 

For Roy's Trio dining, you can do the teppenyaki - it's one of the three. You get the Chicken meal with Roy's trio, which you can upgrade for the steak if you want, it's $29 credit towards the upgrade ($39 or $59 depending on which steak choice).

And no, Black Card meal can't be used towards teppenyaki either, unfortunately.. ☹️

1 hour ago, cruzlover said:

Awesome! I was hoping that was the case. I know the menu options are limited for the Black Card complimentary dinner. I would love to see the menus if you get a chance. 

Here are the menus for Butcher's Cut and Ocean Cay (the 'Dining Experience' menu is the one that Black Card members get - you choose one item from Starters, Mains & Desserts.  You can substitute an item from the a la carte menu at a 50% discount):

BUTCHERS CUT US MENU.pdf

251718136_OCEANCAYMENU.pdf

Here's the 'Dining Experience' menu for Ocean Cay (because it's not included in the PDF):

2142912702_OceanCayDiningExperienceMenu.png.7844d48200ea32a3837d561c29a8b0cf.png

Edited by Beamafar

14 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Here are the menus for Butcher's Cut and Ocean Cay (the 'Dining Experience' menu is the one that Black Card members get - you choose one item from Starters, Mains & Desserts.  You can substitute an item from the a la carte menu at a 50% discount):

BUTCHERS CUT US MENU.pdf 53.36 kB · 0 downloads

251718136_OCEANCAYMENU.pdf 700.5 kB · 0 downloads

Here's the 'Dining Experience' menu for Ocean Cay (because it's not included in the PDF):

2142912702_OceanCayDiningExperienceMenu.png.7844d48200ea32a3837d561c29a8b0cf.png

What date is this from?  It was nothing like that on Seaside in April.

10 minutes ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

What date is this from?  It was nothing like that on Seaside in April.

If you mean the Dining Experience for Ocean Cay - it's from a Med sailing (the price is in Euros).  I don't think I have a US one.  Butcher's Cut is almost identical in offerings for both US and Euros cruises.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

If you mean the Dining Experience for Ocean Cay - it's from a Med sailing (the price is in Euros).  I don't think I have a US one.  Butcher's Cut is almost identical in offerings for both US and Euros cruises.

Thanks for the explanation.   In the Caribbean it is a very different menu in the Ocean Cay.  I don't have a copy of it but have seen it posted on CC before.