Seward 9pm depart - Life Raft Drill??

17 minutes ago, jrlamour said:

Always before departure and after embarkation. Doesn’t matter what time that is.  I was on the breakaway last October which was delayed for multiple reasons. Muster drill at about 2am.

That was because you were delayed. Obviously. Not because it was scheduled that way. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Hi-

We are on this sailing as well and are also curious how the 9p departure is going to work. We are hesitant to make any dinner reservations since we do not know when the muster drill is or when our luggage will arrive. We have never left this late before, so are not sure what to expect! Our last cruise in January left NOLA at 4:30p, and I am pretty sure we did our muster drill at 4p (I remember since that is the time most of the NFL playoff games were starting that day and we were disappointed to miss kick off)  But it was well after 10p when I got the rest of my luggage (as I was prepared for).  It looks like we can board the ship anytime from 12p-8p, so if this follows suit, maybe muster will be at 8:30p?!  But it also looks like they allow you to make dinner reservations anytime from 6p-10p, even though all services are stopped during the muster drills..... It looks like there are other ships leaving Seward at 9p (like the one leaving tomorrow), so hopefully someone who has experienced this can offer some insight!

I suspect that NCL is running a train from Anchorage that will arrive around 7:30 or so. Muster drill will be about 30 minutes prior to sailing. It is so late because of the NCL transfer from Anchorage.

BTW luggage is trucked from Anchorage and beats the train by a couple  of hours so luggage is often in the  cabins when the passengers arrive.

5 hours ago, hoosier2015 said:

Hi-

We are on this sailing as well and are also curious how the 9p departure is going to work. We are hesitant to make any dinner reservations since we do not know when the muster drill is or when our luggage will arrive. We have never left this late before, so are not sure what to expect! Our last cruise in January left NOLA at 4:30p, and I am pretty sure we did our muster drill at 4p (I remember since that is the time most of the NFL playoff games were starting that day and we were disappointed to miss kick off)  But it was well after 10p when I got the rest of my luggage (as I was prepared for).  It looks like we can board the ship anytime from 12p-8p, so if this follows suit, maybe muster will be at 8:30p?!  But it also looks like they allow you to make dinner reservations anytime from 6p-10p, even though all services are stopped during the muster drills..... It looks like there are other ships leaving Seward at 9p (like the one leaving tomorrow), so hopefully someone who has experienced this can offer some insight!

Muster at 4:30. Book your dinner. 

12 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

It’s a "muster drill” and it is usually done after embarkation has concluded and before the ship leaves port.

Sorry I knew that,  just couldn't remember this morning . .  not enough coffee in me! LOL

15 hours ago, hoosier2015 said:

Hi- /snip/

It looks like there are other ships leaving Seward at 9p (like the one leaving tomorrow), so hopefully someone who has experienced this can offer some insight!

That sailing tomorrow 6/10 is the NCL JEWEL

Seward only has one primary pier berth for large cruise ships

The Port Schedule for Seward for 2019 LINK:

http://crew-center.com/seward-alaska-cruise-ship-schedule-2019

12 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

For the 5/27 sailing of the Jewel from Seward the muster drill was at 5:30 with a makeup drill at 8:30. 

This makes sense, because that first night only has dining reservations starting at 6:30 instead of 5:30. 

Many NCL ships sail away later in the evening. It isn't particularly rare.

In such cases, muster drill is always in the afternoon before dinner is served. There will be a make up drill for people who weren't onboard at that time.

Having the main drill after about 5pm can't be done (unless there are exceptional circumstances) as people will be eating in the dining rooms, which are also muster stations.

Book your meals as usual.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Many NCL ships sail away later in the evening. It isn't particularly rare.

In such cases, muster drill is always in the afternoon before dinner is served. There will be a make up drill for people who weren't onboard at that time.

Having the main drill after about 5pm can't be done (unless there are exceptional circumstances) as people will be eating in the dining rooms, which are also muster stations.

Book your meals as usual.

Our 5:30 drill was in the Stardust Theatre, as was the 8:30 makeup drill.