Former Nieuw Amsterdam/ Marella Spirit

frankc98376

This picture was in my email today from Pinterest of former Nieuw Amsterdam in Alang.  So sad to see her like this- I have many great memories on that ship.

Anyone that posts about vibration on the current Nieuw Amsterdam should have sailed on her predecessor.  She gave a new meaning to vibrating- in some places a drink would vibrate off of the table.  One of the former CD's called her the "Magic Fingers ship" after the units motels used to have next to the beds.

She was a beautiful ship with all of her flaws and lived through many challenges. She will be missed.

nadm.PNG

So sad to see her this way.  We loved on South American cruise we did on her many years ago.

Thank you for the picture.

One time someone posted a picture of the Island Princess and Norway side by side on the sand waiting to be cut up.  Two other ships we had sailed on.

It is sad to see a ship scrapped that has given you great memories.  I felt the same way a few years ago when our first cruise ship (Carnival Jubilee) was scrapped.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Carnival Jubilee.jpg

A sad day, indeed.

She was our first HAL ship. I never forgot the experience on this ship so went back a few years later on the Volendam with DH.  He was enchanted and the rest is history 😉 

She was lovely ship. - much nicer than her predecessor with the “Nieuw” in the name IMO (and yes, I’ve been on both).

I proposed to my wife in the crows nest of the Nieuw Amsterdam 35 years ago. I'm happy to report our marriage is in much better shape. It's very sad to see, but time marches on. It's hard to believe that there were no balcony cabins, no specialty restaurants but they did have "Ocean Liner Service". I'll never forget the best and most life changing day of my life when Wendy said "Yes, I will marry you" onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Michael

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

It is sad to see a ship scrapped that has given you great memories.  I felt the same way a few years ago when our first cruise ship (Carnival Jubilee) was scrapped.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Carnival Jubilee.jpg

We were on her once. Caribbean; either 92 out of Florida to Cozumel/playa del Carmen; Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman or 95 St Thomas/St John; Saint Maartan/San Martin; Dominica; Barbados;  and  Martinique our of San Juan Puerto Return. The other was the Holiday and think that was the second itinerary We were apparently on her for last cruise as it had been sold also:(

21 hours ago, lizinvan said:

We were on her once. Caribbean; either 92 out of Florida to Cozumel/playa del Carmen; Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman or 95 St Thomas/St John; Saint Maartan/San Martin; Dominica; Barbados;  and  Martinique our of San Juan Puerto Return. The other was the Holiday and think that was the second itinerary We were apparently on her for last cruise as it had been sold also:(

We were on our first in July, 1989; the itinerary was Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

On 6/18/2019 at 3:30 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

So sad to see her this way.  We loved on South American cruise we did on her many years ago.

Thank you for the picture.

One time someone posted a picture of the Island Princess and Norway side by side on the sand waiting to be cut up.  Two other ships we had sailed on.

The Norway was our first cruise.  We were not impressed when we saw her in Miami ready for embarkation.....but once on board we found her to be so elegant.  The food, midnight buffets, the crew and Excursions were just magnificent.  Of course, remember, that was our first in 1994. But wonderful memories.