Gem or Bliss?

babs135

We are still clinging to the hope that we will be able to have a holiday round about November/December (health issues need resolving).  I'm looking at the Bahamas out of New York and both ships do this route; so quite simply which would you suggest?

We are active senior citizens who will be travelling with our adult DD.  We sailed on the Breakaway a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.  We would want somewhere to sit and read and people watch (I'm nosy!).  As long as there is somewhere outside where we can sit, doesn't have to be by the pool, we would be happy.  The Bliss appears to have the better shows, The Jersey Boys, which could be a draw but is the ship too big?  The biggest one we've done held around 3,500 people.

Also, could someone tell me the pros of booking a mini-suite rather than a balcony?  One of the websites I've looked at had the difference in price very close - The Gem.

Thank you.

Only difference in balcony and mini suite is the latter has tub and bathroom is slightly larger.            We just returned from Gem to Bermuda.  I do prefer the larger ships though as more venues and entertainment.   There was nothing wrong with the Gem though. Guess price would be a deciding factor for me

The Bliss is about the same size as the Breakaway. Sure it's a "plus" of that class, but a big chunk of the plus is a few extra decks. If you liked the Breakaway Bliss should be fine. The Gem would be a much smaller ship, but I haven't been on it so I can't say anything beyond that. 

I sailed the Bliss last September. I found it too big and too crowded but obviously other cruisers feel differently. I never sailed the Gem but wish I could sail a smaller ship. I am a senior citizen who travels alone and needs a studio cabin. Only the largest ships have the studios.

The Bliss did have great food and the observation deck / floor was wonderful.

If you liked the Breakaway you should like Bliss.  We've been on Breakaway & Getaway & are also looking to book something on the Bliss later this year as we both want to see Jersey Boys.  We've been on the Gem a bunch of times & it's still our fave ship in NCL's fleet.

Despite the large number of pax on the Breakaway & Breakaway Plus classes versus the Jewel-class ships (like the Gem) we never found ourselves crowded on the Breakaway or Getaway.  You DO have to remember to make show reservations, especially for the Comedy Club or you will be shut out.  Ditto dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants.  Download the NCL app onto your smart phone prior to leaving & you can make your show/dinner reservations right in the cruise ship terminal while waiting to board; we do this in NYC.

Hope your health-related issues are resolved so that you can cruise!

I prefer the Gem over the Breakaway. I love the great outdoors and spinnakers lounge. Less crowded, more relaxing, show up at a show and just grab a seat. I believe minisuites are bigger than balconies in the Gem.