New York Brooklyn Flight Logistics

Tedferg

Canada New England Sep 28 2019.

Flying in from West Coast  two best options are:

(1) Red Eye Leave 9:30 pm arrive Newark 5:00 am on 28th , could use miles for First Class so hopefully would get some sleep.

(2) Leave 9:10 am arrive LGA 7:32 pm on 27th. Would need hotel overnight.

With either option we would have a good part of 28th for sightseeing - 5:00 Sail Away.

Question for (1) is luggage drop off, assume we go from Newark straight to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal . What is earliest we could drop off luggage and is there a facility to store luggage if we are there too early ?

Question for (2) I assume hotel near Cruise Terminal is best option versus Manhattan hotel ??? Any suggestions for Hotel ?

I would pick the arrival on the 27th at LGA and then go directly  by cab/uber to a hotel in the city (Manhatten)......at least you will be well rested on the 28th and able to watch the sail away with the SOL. 

You could then plan at least some sightseeing before you go to the ship. Get a hotel with 12 noon checkout and then cab/uber to Brooklyn.

Pick a hotel in the city that your budget can handle 

17 minutes ago, Clampram said:

"watch the sail away with the SOL. " What is SOL ? My acronym checker is letting me down 🙂

"Pick a hotel in the city that your budget can handle" Makes sense, I was thinking hotel near terminal would be easier for cab airport to hotel and cab to terminal, versus cab to and from Manhattan. Hotel in Manhattan is better for first evening and morning sightseeing.

How about Hotel in lower Manhattan and Ferry, with luggage, to Terminal ?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Tedferg

47 minutes ago, Clampram said:

Get a hotel with 12 noon checkout and then cab/uber to Brooklyn.

We did this cruise last fall in October 2018.  I had read reports prior to the cruise that getting a cab to the cruise terminal from Manhattan was challenging.  We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Times Square and couldn't get a taxi to take us there, even with the concierge's assistance.  He finally asked if we would be interested in a flat-rate private car for $75, which we took.  Apparently taxis are reluctant to take fares to the Brooklyn cruise terminal due to the distance and absence of returning customers.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

How about Hotel in lower Manhattan and Ferry, with luggage, to Terminal ?

Thanks for your input.

We often stay at the Marriott Downtown Financial Center. They can arrange car service for you to any of the airports/terminals,etc.......very reliable. We have also taken uber from this area to JFK.....not an issue

SOL = Statue of Liberty!! LOL!

Edited by Clampram

<https://www.cruzely.com/using-uber-lyft-brooklyn-cruise-terminal/>

As a frequent business traveller to NYC, I can see that some cabs would be picky about where they want to go from the city. I've had some pull away when I give them destinations that are opposite direction to where they want to go, especially when close to quitting time.

That downtown Marriott is a good resource as they have guests travelling everywhere and they have a great business set up.Their companies for car service are very reliable.

I have never had uber refuse a destination. They don't even know the destination until you get in the car. Your trip to Brooklyn will be on a Saturday and you won't be competing with the crowds of week days. We are staying at this Marriott again in September and taking one of their cars to JFK.

Also great views of SOL from this hotel!!

Edited by Clampram

32 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Interesting difference between Clampram and Paula's experience - thanks for input.

Paula did you try Uber ?

Do a Google search, I think you'll find many other people have had the same experience as us.  I read many trip reports prior to our cruise that stated the same thing.

No I didn't try Uber.  I knew taxi/Uber fare would be around $65, so $75 for the private car that was already there was fine for the convenience.  The car was nice and the driver was very professional -- we had no complaints.  

On a side note, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza Times Square free on hotel points, that's why we chose it -- free and location.  We were upgraded to a suite on the top floor with a separate bedroom, living room, dining area, and 2 bathrooms, overlooking Times Square.  We flew in a day before the cruise and spent the day sight seeing.  We've been to NYC before so didn't need several days to see the sights. 

Edited by Paula_MacFan

We cruised out of Brooklyn in the fall of 2017. We stayed at the Brooklyn Marriott on Adams St. It is about a ten mile cab ride from LGA. We arrived a few days early (we never want to chance a flight delay issue on embarkation day) to allow for some sightseeing. The hotel is in a nice area and is within easy reach of some great food (world class pizza at Juliana's) and sights in Brooklyn, and a not so bad subway ride into Manhattan. The closest subway station from the hotel was no more than a ten minute walk. On embarkation day there where plenty of cabs available for the short ride to the pier. However the doorman offered us a town car which ended up costing just $20 including the tip.

As far as dropping off luggage, I can only assume that the porters will accept it anytime after the incoming ship has tied up. That issue may be a moot point however if you overnight in the area.

Enjoy your cruise. We will be enjoying the east coast on the Regal a few weeks after you.

8 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Canada New England Sep 28 2019.

Flying in from West Coast  two best options are:

(1) Red Eye Leave 9:30 pm arrive Newark 5:00 am on 28th , could use miles for First Class so hopefully would get some sleep.

(2) Leave 9:10 am arrive LGA 7:32 pm on 27th. Would need hotel overnight.

With either option we would have a good part of 28th for sightseeing - 5:00 Sail Away.

Question for (1) is luggage drop off, assume we go from Newark straight to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal . What is earliest we could drop off luggage and is there a facility to store luggage if we are there too early ?

Question for (2) I assume hotel near Cruise Terminal is best option versus Manhattan hotel ??? Any suggestions for Hotel ?

We have sailed out of Red Hook many times on Princess.......

Most of the time we arrived on red eyes and took a car service to the pier.

Porters start to take luggage in Brooklyn around 9:30.

Marriott Brooklyn Bridge is a suggestion for a hotel. About 3 miles from the pier.

Tedferg

I noticed you mentioned a 5:00 sail away for the cruise.

There is a difference between all aboard time and sail away.

Passengers are expected to be onboard a few hours before sail away.

Please check your Princess information for all aboard time.

With that being said,if you choose to stay in Manhattan overnight,you would have limited. sightseeing time for the 28th. You could do something for a few hours in the morning, but the latest I would leave for the pier would be 1:00.

I do not recommend a HOHO bus as it may be held up in traffic,wasting time.

The downtown Marriot or the  Hilton is a good suggestion. You could  visit the Wall Street area, the Freedom tower and 9/11 memorial, Trinity Church,Battery Park or Little Italy/Chinatown from that location.

The New York Marriot at the Brooklyn Bridge is another good hotel suggestion. From there,you could walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for a sightseeing cruise xperience.

A car service from Manhattan s the way to go.

You may be able to get a cab from a Brooklyn hotel,but we found out when staying in one that the front desk will arrange for a car and driver also.

As to takng a ferry to the cruise terminal, check the location of the drop off place n Brooklyn. You may have to walk a distance and the neighborhood by the Princess Terminal is a bit sketchy.

While improvements are being made in theTerminal neighborhood, it is composed of industrial buildings,public housing and abandoned dock space. A diamond n the rough,so o speak.

I noted that you are from California.

I would suggest that you do some research about Red Hook-the Terminal neighborhood, hotels that have been suggested here and sites that interest you.

NYC is my hometown. It is a great place IMHO !

Just do your homework,be aware and enjoy your visit !

PS I think the embarkation from NYC is one of the best !

Thanks a lot Colo Cruiser and MJSailors.

Initially we thought we'd just go to hotel, eat and off to bed. I realize if we stay in Manhattan that a morning visit to 9/11 sites is about all we could do. Thanks again for a thoughtful response.

I think your choice comes down to what sightseeing that you wish to do in the half day that you have.

From the Marriott Financial, you can walk to Battery Park, 911 Memorial, Native American Museum, and many others. My fav spot for lunch is Eataly, right across from the 911 Memorial/Museum.

Brooklyn Marriott is also great......I had to stay there once for 6 weeks for a job contract. This location will require more time if you want to do anything in the city which will limit you since you only have a half day. Good luck!

We did car service with an advance reservation From midtown Manhattan when we cruised out of Brooklyn.  We used Carmel Limo, very competitively priced and reliable. We are cruising out of Brooklyn again in October, arriving at LaGuardia and plan to do the same. 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal
  • Like 2

MJSailors,  what hotel or area would you recommend for someone who is spending two full days in NYC prior to sailing out of Brooklyn Red Hook Cruise terminal?  Thank you for any info.  My wife and I plan to visit some sights;  we don't have anything picked out yet; get a slice of pizza and maybe see a show

Edited by AF-1
added txt

If you want to see a show and some other nearby sights, I would recommend the Hilton on 6th Ave or Hilton Garden Inn near Central Park. Both are mid-town hotels. Also, the Fitzpatrick near Grand Central is very good. Located on East 44th Street,it is a longer walk to the theater district,but the staff is welcoming and there is a great Irish pub on the premises.

You could also check Trip Advisor for more mid-town properties.

I would not recommend hotels in the TimesSquare area- noise,crowds and I think people need to be on their toes there if not familiar with the City.

From the Hilton that I mentioned, it is an easy walk to Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Museum of Modern Art, Radio City and Broadway shows.

I see that you mentioned you are thinking of seeing a show.

There is a discount theater ticket booth called TKTS located in the theater district in Times Square are- not sure of the particular street.

You  can go there on the day of the show and get tickets for a good price.

The tickets are limited though to certain shows that have availability that day.

If you are set on a particular show, it maybe better to purchase tickets ahead of time through TicketMaster or other online sites.

If you want pizza, usually any local pizzeria will be good.Just a note- please stay away from chain restaurants and enjoy the local places.

Keep in mind,hotel prices come with some sticker shock. But,if you want a good hotel in a convenient  location,the price is what it is.

Also, I would recommend a car and driver to get to the cruise terminal. Carmel has been mentioned . You could check with the hotel conceierge to arrange transport.

Most likely,cabs will not want to take you since return passengers may not be available to them. I am not certain about Uber or Lyft availability.

I hope you enjoy your visit to NYC.

I was born and raised there and my DH and I  both workedthere until our move out to Eastern Long Island.

It will always be a special place for me ! 

Thank you very much for all the info.  I will be using hotel points for my stay.  I am top tier with both Hilton and Marriott;  so either hotel will be my choice;  now I just have to figure out a location.  Good tips and I appreciate that. 

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thank you very much for all the info.  I will be using hotel points for my stay.  I am top tier with both Hilton and Marriott;  so either hotel will be my choice;  now I just have to figure out a location.  Good tips and I appreciate that. 

I am Lifetime Platinum with Marriott and have stayed in most of the properties in NYC. When I am going to the city for fun (rather than work)  l like to go to the Marriott Marquis in TS. While it is in TS, it's also very centrally located and no busier/noisier than other midtown properties. This Marriott always recognizes Bonvoy members and I always get upgraded here, sometimes to a suite. Also, the Club at this property is one of the best in the country IMHO. I also like the Marriott Financial Center but if you are going to the city to be a tourist, you may prefer a midtown location.

Clampram,  thanks for your info.  I will discuss with my wife;  see what she wants to see and do and make our decision on hotel location.  I will look at both Marriott's you mention 

On 6/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, Paula_MacFan said:

We did this cruise last fall in October 2018.  I had read reports prior to the cruise that getting a cab to the cruise terminal from Manhattan was challenging.  We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Times Square and couldn't get a taxi to take us there, even with the concierge's assistance.  He finally asked if we would be interested in a flat-rate private car for $75, which we took.  Apparently taxis are reluctant to take fares to the Brooklyn cruise terminal due to the distance and absence of returning customers.  

NYC taxi laws require taking fares to any legitimate address within the city limits.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

NYC taxi laws require taking fares to any legitimate address within the city limits.

So....you're saying we should have called the police because we couldn't get a taxi to take us there?  I'm simply reporting what our experience was, and even the hotel concierge couldn't get a taxi to accept our request.  

From the BeyondShips.com website:  'Taxi drivers often do not know where the terminal is located.  Others fearing that they may not be able to find a return fare, are reluctant to go to Red Hook.'

As I stated before, do a Google search and you should find many others who have had this same problem.  I read many trip reports prior to our cruise that stated this same thing, so I was prepared to hire a private car service.  We stayed free on hotel points in Times Square so paying for the car service was no big deal to us, and maybe staying in another part of town would have resulted in obtaining a cab more easily.  

• Like 1