Double occupancy semi-rant

mnh

I cruise  frequently as a single occupant in a balcony cabin and I always pay the double occupancy unless I’m fortunate enough to be on a ship that has solo balcony cabins.   I understand the double occupancy policy and I always pay this without question.   I am fortunate enough to have recently passed the 340 night threshold and I am now eligible for a reduced (150% VS 200% ) cabin fare when traveling solo....except this does not apply in July and August :( 

I have  a cruise booked for mid July and paid double occupancy.   I wanted to add a person to my cabin but the cruise has sold out and the Coast Guard has put a code red on adding passengers. I do understand this however it still  aggravates me that I booked and paid for a cabin for two and I’m still paying for two people in a cabin when I can’t add the second person.  

I guess I don’t fully understand why Royal can’t   set aside two people for every cabin that has paid for two people in their count.   Or at the very least if the situation should arrive refund the second person‘s fare to the solo person in the cabin...It’s probably just me and I will get over it but it is aggravating!  And I will still cruise with Royal.... I currently 4 cruises booked with them! 

Solution to this in the future is to always book 2 in the room.  Book the second person as TBA.  You will have to pay the port fees and taxes for the second person but that will be refunded after the cruise when they no-show.  This gives you the opportunity to change the second person if you find someone to cruise with you.  Per the Royal FAQ: Names may be changed up to 24 hours prior to sailing provided one of the original names remains on the reservations.

• Like 4

My understanding was that the cruise line limited adding the 3rd or 4th (or more) passengers when the muster station reached a certain count, but that there was always room for 2 people in each stateroom.  I wonder if someting else is going on.

• Like 1

When I booked a cabin as a solo last year, Royal told me that unless I had a TBA or a placeholder name in it, there's a chance that I wouldn't be able to add a second person later down the road. I didn't have a placeholder but sailed solo so didn't try to add someone later either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

When I booked a cabin as a solo last year, Royal told me that unless I had a TBA or a placeholder name in it, there's a chance that I wouldn't be able to add a second person later down the road. I didn't have a placeholder but sailed solo so didn't try to add someone later either. 

Well, I guess the best course of action for those who have to pay 200% single supplement is to always book two people.

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Well, I guess the best course of action for those who have to pay 200% single supplement is to always book two people.

I believe when traveling solo with the 340 C&A level, you have to book your cabin right from the get-go as a solo to receive that benefit.  If you book for two people, you can't call C&A to ask for your 150% supplement.

Merion_Mom? John?

Edited by Hoopster95

There are many more beds than passengers allowed on a ship.  Once they've reach the max, they can accept NO new "souls".  That's why it's always best to book ALL you THINK will travel....easier to cancel, than to add.

5 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I believe when traveling solo with the 340 C&A level, you have to book your cabin right from the get-go as a solo to receive that benefit.  If you book for two people, you can't call C&A to ask for your 150% supplement.

Merion_Mom? John?

I agree, that's why I qualified my post by mentioning the 200%.  Booking two people would not work with the 150% supplement perk.

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Merion_Mom? John?

Sure you can, I’ve done it several times for clients because you can’t book a solo on the TA website so you have to book a double and then call and get it refared to the 150% supplement.

What I don’t know is if you wait a while and there have been price increases whether it will be refared at current rates.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I agree with one of the above posters...If you are going to have to pay a 200% supplement, you might consider booking for two from the get-go.  Select the name & DOB of some family member or friend for your booking; that will hold the second slot for your cabin if you wish to use it.  Later you can change the name or let them be a no-show (taxes and port will then be refunded).

As it stands, you booked as a solo, so you are making a change to your booking if you add a second person.  So even if a space comes available, it may trigger a re-pricing, unfair as that may sound.  

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

As it stands, you booked as a solo, so you are making a change to your booking if you add a second person.  So even if a space comes available, it may trigger a re-pricing, unfair as that may sound.  

There have been many posts by solo travellers who have added a second guest and not had the reservation repriced.

• Like 2

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

There have been many posts by solo travellers who have added a second guest and not had the reservation repriced.

But were these solos booked under the 150% solo supplement programmed offered to C&A cruisers with 340+ points?

Edited by Hoopster95

3 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

But were these solos booked under the 150% solo supplement programmed offered to C&A cruisers with 340+ points?

Sorry, not sure on that one.  I know mpoole posted a few times about adding a guest and not being repriced.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sure you can, I’ve done it several times for clients because you can’t book a solo on the TA website so you have to book a double and then call and get it refared to the 150% supplement.

Interesting. Thx!

So, have you seen this?

A double occupancy GTY offered, however the GTY is not offered on-line when trying to book solo....

You book the dummy GTY fare with a "TBA" second passenger, then call C&A to have it refared at 150% even though you have a TBA as a second guest??

Edited by Hoopster95

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is good to hear.  With recent re-pricing issues, I was afraid this might trigger it, too...everything else seems to!

4 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Interesting. Thx!

So, have you seen this?

A double occupancy GTY offered, however the GTY is not offered on-line when trying to book solo....

You book the dummy GTY fare with a "TBA" second passenger, then call C&A to have it refared at 150% even though you have a TBA as a second guest??

Haven’t seen that one.  I’ve only done it with regular and group fares, no guarantees.

Wehn I book on RC website and do mock booking I almost always see the BOGO  50% off sale, I just did a randon booking that didn't have any balconies so picked a JS

image.png.55b377b249f5ef5a6ebcfec575956a4e.png

With two guests the room  but I didn't get to select ( there was only 1 available for two guests but 9 for 1 guest) is more even after you deduct PF and taxes plus the depoist is double

image.png.71d12ce113994e47259263ebf8948fe2.png

Both of these are for

image.thumb.png.05f637847fda2cf69552e7f132432d74.png

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Wehn I book on RC website and do mock booking I almost always see the BOGO  50% off sale, I just did a randon booking that didn't have any balconies so picked a JS

image.png.55b377b249f5ef5a6ebcfec575956a4e.png

With two guests the room  but I didn't get to select ( there was only 1 available for two guests but 9 for 1 guest) is more even after you deduct PF and taxes plus the depoist is double

image.png.71d12ce113994e47259263ebf8948fe2.png

Both of these are for

In your example, the double occupancy is being offered a gty booking while the solo, while not offered a gty, is perhaps being offered a reduced supplement....but it is hard to decipher Royal math.  You certain are comparing different booking categories.

Edited by Starry Eyes

I wasn’t able to book a solo rate  because the cruise fell within the two months that they don’t honor Solo rates!  So when I booked I paid double occupancy but I only had myself listed as occupying the cabin.   Believe me I have learned my lesson the next time I think I’m going solo in a cabin and I’m not receiving a solo rate I will book myself  and “ a to be determined passenger”.   As stated above I can always cancel the second person and the port fees and taxes will be returned!

You just have to learn how to play the game the Royal way!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Both of these are for

Hey Alan! I hope you are doing well since Ovation :)

This example is a very poor one for this discussion. Both Empress and Majesty are being highly discounted due to the cancellation of Cuba. Many of their upcoming sailings within the next 2-3 months, solos are being offered 100% supplement which means that you do not have to pay for 2 people whatsoever. So their pricing is skewed all over the place.

13 minutes ago, mnh said:

I wasn’t able to book a solo rate  because the cruise fell within the two months that they don’t honor Solo rates!  So when I booked I paid double occupancy but I only had myself listed as occupying the cabin.   Believe me I have learned my lesson the next time I think I’m going solo in a cabin and I’m not receiving a solo rate I will book myself  and “ a to be determined passenger”.   As stated above I can always cancel the second person and the port fees and taxes will be returned!

You just have to learn how to play the game the Royal way!

I have booked a solo cabin for a client within 2 months of sailing and had no issues getting the 150% supplement.

It wasn’t the 2 month time frame it was the months of the cruise.... in July and August they do not offer the reduced solo rates for passengers with 340 or more nights .